1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Vocode-evrc, everc-b, 13k

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by twistedlim, Jul 2, 2010.

1. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I have just changed my phone from EVRC TO EVRC-B. I did a little sample test and the voice quality seems better. It is also more comfortable for me to talk as I get a more flat tone in the earpiece (ears are sensitive).

My question is will this effect my reception in difficult areas? I am a noob to all this but from what I have read it is just compressing the original signal so it seems like it would be the same but I would appreciate any input.

Also what advantages or disadvantages would 13k bring. Again, from what I have read it uses more bandwith so it seems like it might effect reception.

Reception is really a key for me since my cabin is in a very spotty reception area so I want to get the best possible.

I have done the searches but cannot come up with the information I need.

Thanks! PS love the phone. My incredible is being shipped back!

Advertisement

2. colnago

colnago Android Expert

Nov 17, 2009

More bandwidth with 13k = better audio quality, but lower QoS standards (less guaranteed packet delivery).

EVRC-B will be an issue if you hit an area where its not supported.

3. twistedlim

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Would I better off to go with 13k? I think I read that if you go to one of these modes and it is not available it will default back to EVRC? Is this correct or am I mixed up?

Thanks

4. colnago

colnago Android Expert

Nov 17, 2009

Depends on what your goals are..."better audio" (13k) or more stable connection (EVRC).

From what I understand, EVRC-B adds another "low-level" codec for the 1/4 rate connection (vs. existing 1/8, 1/2, and Full rate connections). So instead of defaulting with a 1/8 rate codec, in a marginal signal area, you benefit from higher quality 1/4 rate codec.

But again, overall, the EVRC standards supposedly have better QoS management (more stable connection).

5. twistedlim

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks for the reply. I will give them both a try when I am there. I am hoping the droid gets better reception than my wife's Incredible. I will post the result.

Thanks again!