• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

voice search on Desire

partridge

Android Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2010
I don't use it much, but I watched the video associated with it where the guy explains all the stuff you can do with Voice Search and it sounded great.

But I can't get any of these things to work apart from "call... name"

Every other voice tag (send text to, send email to, navigate to, listen to, etc) results in a web search or a not recognised error.

Oddly I have used it successfully to enter the words for a text by tapping the mic icon, but this is once I've set up the text. I can't get Voice Search to create the text like they show in the video.

Am I doing something wrong? This seems like such a great feature, especially if you're driving; tap the icon and tell the phone what to do.

I think there are two versions ... the one that came with the phone which is mainly for searching, and then last fall Google rolled out Voice Actions (I think that's what it was called) that did all the "text ... Fred ... hi how are you" stuff. But I can't find that second program now, it's like they stopped supporting it or something.

But fear not, you can download Vlingo from the marketplace and it does all that stuff, and quite nicely to boot.

Upvote 0
I got it working!!!

Go to settings and under Voice Input & Output change the language to English (US)

That fixed it for me, all the voice actions seem to work fine. Listen to doesn't search your phone for music though, it can only be used with apps like spotify, etc.

But I got "Navigate to", "Send email to" and "Send text to" working fine :) I'll try the others later

Reactions: Howard Hopkinson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones