1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

voice search on Desire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by partridge, Jun 22, 2011.

1. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    I don't use it much, but I watched the video associated with it where the guy explains all the stuff you can do with Voice Search and it sounded great.

But I can't get any of these things to work apart from "call... name"

Every other voice tag (send text to, send email to, navigate to, listen to, etc) results in a web search or a not recognised error.

Oddly I have used it successfully to enter the words for a text by tapping the mic icon, but this is once I've set up the text. I can't get Voice Search to create the text like they show in the video.

Am I doing something wrong? This seems like such a great feature, especially if you're driving; tap the icon and tell the phone what to do.

Advertisement

2. OFI

OFI Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    The only thing I have found the Voice search/Voice to txt thing good for is entertainment. Because no matter what I say it turns it into garbage lol

3. chris 290

chris 290 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Works with navigate to on mine plus ring. The others only support American voices, it says that in theapp. So that's the reason....

4. 1500cc

1500cc Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 12, 2010
    I think there are two versions ... the one that came with the phone which is mainly for searching, and then last fall Google rolled out Voice Actions (I think that's what it was called) that did all the "text ... Fred ... hi how are you" stuff. But I can't find that second program now, it's like they stopped supporting it or something.

But fear not, you can download Vlingo from the marketplace and it does all that stuff, and quite nicely to boot.

5. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    I got it working!!!

Go to settings and under Voice Input & Output change the language to English (US)

That fixed it for me, all the voice actions seem to work fine. Listen to doesn't search your phone for music though, it can only be used with apps like spotify, etc.

But I got "Navigate to", "Send email to" and "Send text to" working fine :) I'll try the others later

Howard Hopkinson likes this.
  6. Howard Hopkinson

Howard Hopkinson Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Cheers mate, that worked for me.

Tags: