• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Volume Control Error

I have a Pixel 3, and recently the volume control is... out of control. It will randomly decrease in volume or mute. If I raise the volume back up, it will go back down on its own. Sometimes the only way to keep the volume audible is to hold down the volume button... and then sometimes even that won't work.

What's most frustrating is that this seems to happen mostly on my morning runs. I keep my phone in an arm band, so don't have ready access to fight with the volume control. It's really screwing up my workouts. :-(

Is this a known issue, and is there a workaround or solution?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    80.4 KB · Views: 286
Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Are you using earbuds/headphones that have volume controls?

I don't see how it can be a water issue. I keep the phone in an armband like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Y34DYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

As far as I can tell, it should be perfectly dry in there, especially with the case on.

Hmm, just throwing things out there. Has there been an update or when was last security patch? If you reboot phone during run, does it still do it? And, does it do this any other time listening to music?

Upvote 0
I didnt see an answer to the question about the use of headphones.

Are you using wired headphones?

I have had multiple issues with headphones and speakers that are plugged into the headphone jack.

The volume can automatically go up or down, or back and forth- sometimes even activate Google Voice.

This has, in my experience, been caused by a worn jack/cord end on the headphones/speakers, even if they work fine in a walkman (yup, I'm old) or CD player or other such thing.

The solution is a new set of headphones, and to be careful about the plug and the cord end being stressed.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I didnt see an answer to the question about the use of headphones.

Are you using wired headphones?

I have had multiple issues with headphones and speakers that are plugged into the headphone jack.

The volume can automatically go up or down, or back and forth- sometimes even activate Google Voice.

This has, in my experience, been caused by a worn jack/cord end on the headphones/speakers, even if they work fine in a walkman (yup, I'm old) or CD player or other such thing.

The solution is a new set of headphones, and to be careful about the plug and the cord end being stressed.

I think you might be onto something. I have been using an old wired headset along with the adapter that comes with the Pixel. I went ahead and purchased a cheap Bluetooth headset (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753GRNQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and after two workouts with it, haven't experienced any issues. Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their helpful feedback and input. :)

Upvote 0
I have a lightweight, excellent sounding headset with a boom mic.

I had been using it in my studio, where it works fine.

I couldn't use the boom mic because it has a TRRS plug on the end.

So when I got my first smartphone, I went ahead and bought a nice big set for the studio, and wanted to use the lightweight set for the phone.

Well, at first it seemed fine.
Great sound, and comfortable for long wear.

But after a few songs, the volume started doing exactly what you described.

After checking out the cord, plug, and inline volume control, I was stumped.

Then I tried wiggling the cord and jack where it plugs in.

Bingo.

Now, this set had never had an issue when plugged into anything before.

So, the plug or the jack could be a bit outsize (or both), or the speakers could be an impeadence that is just not very compatible- so much so that by adding/subtracting a few Ohms here or there could cause a device to freak out.

So, anyway, I wound up using the big heavy things with my phone.

There is a built in mic, in the cord, and they sound amazing in a call or for music.

They do squeeze my skull after a while, because I wear glasses.

But anyway, glad to have passed along the info of what it seems to be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones