• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Voodoo vs. Nonvoodoo?

netpa

Jun 19, 2010
What exactly is the difference between the two?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm on NV Superclean 2.9.1 and looking at upgrading to 2.9.2. Basically, my questions before I actually make the switch: Is there really much of a difference between the two at this point? Would I be able to flash voodoo 2.9.2 over 2.9.1, or would I have to go through some extra stuff to make it work? I've been seeing some stuff about jt making undervolted kernels - are they compatible with both voodoo and nv, or just with one?

Sorry if all this has been answered already...I tried searching and either didn't go through enough or didn't use the right search terms.

What exactly is the difference between the two?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm on NV Superclean 2.9.1 and looking at upgrading to 2.9.2. Basically, my questions before I actually make the switch: Is there really much of a difference between the two at this point? Would I be able to flash voodoo 2.9.2 over 2.9.1, or would I have to go through some extra stuff to make it work? I've been seeing some stuff about jt making undervolted kernels - are they compatible with both voodoo and nv, or just with one?

Sorry if all this has been answered already...I tried searching and either didn't go through enough or didn't use the right search terms.

The difference is that voodoo converts the stock filesystem to ext4 which is better performing. The difference isn't really noticeable to most people except for when performing benchmarks. Yes, flashing a voodoo kernel over a nonvoodoo kernel is no problem. It doesn't look like jt made a nonvoodoo version of his latest kernel, but several others have built kernels from the same source that are offered as either voodoo or non.

Upvote 0
ROM or kernel first though? XD

Edit: I'm going with flashing SC 2.92 first (unless I'm mistaken, it includes a kernel?) and then flashing the undervolted kernel (listed in the superclean thread in xda right above the 2.92 version in the changelog) once that's done so that it doesn't get overwritten with the SC flash. Probably doing that tomorrow afternoon unless someone tells me I'm ****ing something up by then XD

Upvote 0
ROM or kernel first though? XD

the 2.9.2 rom comes packaged with a kernel. Adrynalyne has both voodoo and nonvoodoo versions of the rom, so technically you wouldn't even have to flash a separate kernel if you didn't want to. If you do flash a separate kernel, do it after the rom since the prepacked kernel in the rom will overwrite whatever kernel is already there.

Reactions: netpa
Upvote 0
If I could sneak into your house and turn it off in the middle of the night you would never know it. ;)

Hahaha I haven't been on nonvooodoo in a while...but you're probably right :p

It doesn't really matter. Just do them both before you try reboot

Yeah I always do mine all in one too, but if he did the kernel first then flashed his SC over that he'd have the new SC with the built in kernel that's included with it. It would just overwrite the whole thing.

Upvote 0
Btw, I know jt is the prime developer here (well, since SirGatez, PK, and birdman haven't released Froyo kernels yet), but at the moment I'd suggest one of the imnuts kernels. He's the only one who's actually put the Voodoo Sound fixes into a released version, and some of his other tweaks should be useful later.

You should always flash the kernel second, though, since ROMs usually wipe /system and most current kernels have files they stick into /system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones