• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(VZW) Nexus 4.0.X Update Discussion

I'm not 100% sold the mic muing is a Galaxy Nexus problem. My wife has now had it happen with her Razr MAXX a couple times recently. I think it's a network or 4G (even if 4G is turned off) issue. I could be wrong but since it has now happened on my wife's phone I'm thinking it's not software or even hardware related.

I've seen a lot of people from North Carolina, South Carolina and Colorado (mostly Denver) when searching the Internet for this issue. Not to say it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Steve

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sold the mic muing is a Galaxy Nexus problem. My wife has now had it happen with her Razr MAXX a couple times recently. I think it's a network or 4G (even if 4G is turned off) issue. I could be wrong but since it has now happened on my wife's phone I'm thinking it's not software or even hardware related.

I've seen a lot of people from North Carolina, South Carolina and Colorado (mostly Denver) when searching the Internet for this issue. Not to say it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Steve

I'm located in Denver... If I get bored this weekend maybe I'll flash back to 4.0.2. I'd be curious to know if it has been network improvements or radio updates that have been improving my phone.

Upvote 0
Now verizon support wants me to run my phone in safe mode to see if the mic muting problem persists to rule out any apps causing the problem. Who the hell are they kidding? I have only 2 apps on the phone right now ( facebook and twitter) because I figured I would have to factory reset again. If it wasn't for my unlimited data and going to jail, I would go into the nearest verizon store tomorrow and shove this phone up someone's @#$.

Upvote 0

You might actually be onto something here.
In the weeks since I gave up my Nexus I have still had dropped calls and my wife has experienced a muted call on her Rezound.

To make this more interesting I stopped to see a friend the other day and we were talking about phones and he mentioned to me that he has experienced what he described as a "one way call" where he could hear the person he called but they could not hear him.
When he called that person back it worked fine.

He has an Incredible....

Now I wonder if this is all coincidence or if there is a real problem out here?
I will be mighty pissed off if I gave up my Nexus because of a fracking network problem. :eek:

Upvote 0

Steve

I thought I noticed the exact same thing.... I chalked it up to my imagination. Glad I am not imagining things. I think I saw a bunch of people in Tennessee also with issues. No problems here in Eastern PA.

Maybe we should start a thread and ask people with Mic Muting to report where they are from...

Reactions: dwilliam16
Upvote 0
I thought I noticed the exact same thing.... I chalked it up to my imagination. Glad I am not imagining things. I think I saw a bunch of people in Tennessee also with issues. No problems here in Eastern PA.

Maybe we should start a thread and ask people with Mic Muting to report where they are from...

I have been wondering all along if it's a regional issue. I've talked with many, many other NC folks that have the same problem as I. Folks on the coast (New Bern), eastern NC (Rocky Mount), mid state (Durham), and western NC (Charlotte) have all reported the one-way audio issue. My brother-in-law just got a Nexus and he lives in Greensboro (mid-western NC) so I'm very curious to see if he has the same problem.

I've been with Verizon since they were 360 communications (first it was 360, then Alltell, then Verizon) and I've had many, many phone and this is the only phone I've had that problem with.

I thought we had started a thread in the past, but I'll be happy to do so.

Upvote 0
I'm located in Denver... If I get bored this weekend maybe I'll flash back to 4.0.2. I'd be curious to know if it has been network improvements or radio updates that have been improving my phone.

I was having problems with 4.0.4 so I actually did this Monday. I was using the IMM30 and then flashed the radios and "ROM" DL posted to get me to IMM76K. I was still getting the silent call bug and my phone was dropping calls quite often. So I decided to go back to the beginning and try again. I unrooted and re installed 4.0.1 then 4.0.2 and finally 4.0.4. I made 5 or 6 calls and I didn't have the problem with 4.0.1, but did with 4.0.2. As of right now with 7 10 to 15 minutes calls so far I have yet to have a problem on 4.0.4.

When it comes to 4.0.4 I didn't do a wipe before, but did do a full reset afterward. So far so good. My calls even sound cleaner and clearer. So far that is the state of things for me in Northern CO. I'll be testing in Denver tomorrow since I'm taking the kids to Elitch Gardens.

I'm curious to hear what you find.

BTW, does anyone else find it odd that our software version is now the same as a file not found error?

Upvote 0
I created a survey. I'll post it in a new thread as well and in the google code thread. It would definitely be interesting to see if the issues are in specific areas and span different devices!

Actually, looks like someone already created this one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhyOXF3OFhmQlF2eGlIZ3AtVkVHLUE6MQ

So let's use that...I'll contact the publisher and ask for their data if they're willing to share.

Upvote 0
Filled it out....

I would love to see this data as well.
It would make for an interesting story and PR issue for Verizon :eek:

Indeed. And if it's not Nexus-specific, somehow we need to get Verizon to fix their damn towers with this issue. But since they keep pointing the finger at the device and wanting to swap it/etc, I don't see how we can make them realize it's a regional thing. :(

Upvote 0
been 2 full days on the update now. The phone is acting alot like it did during the first few weeks of ownership. It's kinda buggy, but seems to be settling down.

1) my data speeds are definitely faster! I hit 45Mbps for the first time in the office, whereas the previous peak was around 33Mbps. Also speeds at home have had a similar boost. Signal strength readings in settings are also stronger, on average seem about 5dBm or more stronger (at -72dBm now! never ever seen that before!).

2) Data appears to not drop during a 'roving' call through splotchy areas, or at least it can reconnect while still on call after a data drop.

3) Signal bars are less meaningful now though... I have seen 2-3 bars in a weak area where previously I had no LTE data connection, however, a speedtest attempt error out in "connection problems".

4) Signal strength reading changes even when # of bars does not change. On 4.0.2, had to drop or gain a bar before the strength reading in settings changed.

5) Battery life seems better for me, at 6.5 hrs, 43min screen on (auto), 10min voice calls, and some misc apps have 65% left --- feels like I should have 45% left. This is my first overnight 100% charge on it. Need to check overnight energy usage, but have heard of it being cut in half for some users.

6) Gallery app is laggy, esp in folders with lots of photos. I may consider replacing it with the older version. I don't like the card stack transitions.

7) camera may be better. was able to take some amazing shots of a tiny spider on a leaf.

8) occasional lag when unlocking from slider lockscreen is annoying. However, it has subsided lately.

9) widgetsoid seems to be crashing... i use toggle widgets on my nova homescreen (wifi, tether, reboot, and audio toggles, etc). They have wigged out a couple times, toggling but not indicating a toggle... although a reboot always seemed to fix it.

10) tether toggle on (widgetsoid) is slower (3-4 sec now vs 1-2sec before). not sure why...

Upvote 0
3) Signal bars are less meaningful now though... I have seen 2-3 bars in a weak area where previously I had no LTE data connection, however, a speedtest attempt error out in "connection problems".

4) Signal strength reading changes even when # of bars does not change. On 4.0.2, had to drop or gain a bar before the strength reading in settings changed.

I believe these two may be related to the explanation here:

This is why your Verizon Nexus signal "sucks" - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki

I.e. the SNR is sometimes used to calc "bars" vs. RSRQ or whatever. I've noticed the same, though. Yesterday I had 3 bars @ -114 dBm but because the SNR was high it was 3 bars. :thinking: Speed test was less than stellar (4 Mbps down, 600 Kbps up). Not what I'd consider "3 bar performance". :cool:

Reactions: dhworph
Upvote 0
I forced the update today using the Google Service Framework method that many have used here. I finally got it to work and it found the update. The update finished downloading and it asked me to confirm whether I wanted to install. After confirming, it said that the Nexus needed to reboot to complete the install. The confusing thing is, the phone shuts down, reboots, and there is no evidence that any changes were made. When I go under the settings and select "about phone" it still says Android version 4.02! Anyone else have this issue?

I forced the update again today, it showed downloading "IMM76K" which was about 39 mb. It finished downloading and then set the phone would have to reboot for the install to complete. Once again, I check the android version after reboot and it says "4.02". What the hell?

Upvote 0
I forced the update again today, it showed downloading "IMM76K" which was about 39 mb. It finished downloading and then set the phone would have to reboot for the install to complete. Once again, I check the android version after reboot and it says "4.02". What the hell?

Sounds like the install failed. Are you installing this on a stock or rooted device? I know installs will fail if you are rooted and changed or deleted certain files in the stock ROM or if you are running a custom ROM.

Upvote 0
one more gripe:

when ending a phone call, there is an obnoxious pop sound. Seems like it isn't going away, has happened on ending almost every phone call I think. Starting to want to go back to 4.0.2 and just flash the radios...

===

also, battery life was no better overnight, and possibly worse. On 4.0.2 I was pretty stable at 12-13% loss over a 7-9 hour sleep period. Last night was 13% lost in 6 hours!

Upvote 0
I no longer have a VZW Nexus, but when I did, I experienced something interesting. I live in Seattle, and have never once had the one-way mute bug. In February, I had a connecting flight in denver, and made a couple of longer calls. I experienced it on both calls!

This leads me to believe that it is very regional, especially considering prior reports that it has been frequently happening in denver.

Upvote 0
With 4.0.4 I have noticed issues staying connected to the wifi in my house. There have been numerous times when I unlock the screen that the phone is connected to network data and not wifi. Then a couple seconds later it reconnects to the wifi. On other occassions the wifi symbol and cell bars will both be grayed when I unlock the screen. Then a couple seconds later they turn blue again.

The phone is acting like I have juice defender and disconnecting my wifi when the screen is off. I have the wifi setting "keep wifi on during sleep" set to "always" just like I did on 4.0.2.

Anyone else notice this?

Upvote 0
It sounds like I'm in the minority, but the update has really helped my experience with the phone. The 3g/4g/wifi switching faster has been awesome. Love the speed to/from landscape mode. The biggest benefit thus far has been going to and from the home screen/app drawer. on 4.0.2 whenever I would hit the home button the only thing to show up would be my wallpaper for about 10 seconds. Then slowly the apps and widgets on the home screen would show up. When I would hit the app drawer button it would take about 10 seconds to load the apps, and even then it would load to a page later on, not the first page. It was super annoying but it's been resolved (so far) with 4.0.4. Was anyone else having this issue before?

Edit: I forgot to add that my battery life has really gotten better. It used to be that my battery would die after about 9-10 hours, but now I can go 14-15 hours before it gets to the point where I need to charge it.

Upvote 0
Well, I did some testing yesterday with about 8 different phone calls. The first two went great and I had no problems. The third gave me the one way audio bug after about 10 minutes. Calls 4, 5 and 6 also had no problem and then I again had the problem on call number 7.

Keep in mind the is with a full wipe back to stock 4.0.2 and then doing the update to 4.0.4 and again doing another full wipe. I even went the full on PITA route of restoring all my setting and information manually. The only thing I used Titanium Backup for were the few games that I had a lot of saved information on and even that was only 2.

These issues took place in Denver at an amusement park. I did notice that the second one occurred right around the same time a bunch of people on a roller coaster came by screaming. I don't remember what the noise level was during the first one though. I do kind of wonder if the back ground noise spike had anything to do with it.

I will say that up until the issue happened all of my calls were very clear.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones