• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (VZW) Other person can't hear me.

I am getting a refurbished replacement Nexus on Friday. Supposedly this phone is being shipped with the "latest operating system." I have to try something because I need a phone that works as a phone.

I received my refurbished phone one day early. the "latest operating system" it came with was 4.0.2???

I will see how long it runs before the audio cuts out.

Upvote 0
I am getting a refurbished replacement Nexus on Friday. Supposedly this phone is being shipped with the "latest operating system." I have to try something because I need a phone that works as a phone.

I made it three and a half days with my refurbished phone before the audio cut out. It is sad that Verizon sent me a replacement phone and had me waste my time getting it set up the way I had the original set up and I end up no better off. Waiting for an update that will fix this that will be available "next month," or "someday" is making me feel ripped off.

Upvote 0
Based on this entire thread, I can't help but think the issue is a combination of hardware and cell towers. If it were hardware or software alone, wouldn't everyone be having issues? If it were cell towers alone, wouldn't other phone models have problems? While I hope it turns out to be software, I'm glad I raised hell with VZW to get a replacement Rezound.

But be prepared if you switch too: it took a lot of phone calls and visits to the store to get an equal trade. They tried to stick me with a refurb Rezound that arrived with no battery and no SD card! I barked until they shipped both a standard and extended battery (to replace what I had with the Nexus) and scrounged up a 16 GB SD from a demo store unit. The only thing they wouldn't budge on was the Beats headphones, but I'm not a headphones guy anyway.

In the end, I have a HTC with Gingerbread (I rooted and ran ICS for a bit, but it's still buggy), but it does place phone calls reliably and I get a nice camera and loud external speaker to boot. I think I'll adjust just fine. ;)

Upvote 0
I just got off the phone with my friend that works for Verizon (same guy from the pre-release thread) and he was telling me that there is a maintenance update coming this month (from Samsung) and one of the things it addresses is the one-way audio bug. No solid date, but said it IS coming this May.

I typically take things from Verizon with a grain of salt, but since I know this guy personally I have a little more faith it what he says.

On Friday (May 18th) my phone shut off while I was trying to get somewhere, it wouldn't turn back on so I did a battery pull and it turned on. For a second it said something along the lines of "Updating Phone" after the splash screen and then it went back to normal. I check but there was no 4.0.4 update so I'm not sure what happened. My phone still has the dropped call issue so it didn't fix that either.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, my friend on Sprint just got a GNex and is experiencing the same drops as we are. I warned him about the issue and he came back a day or two later and was like "Gosh darnit!".

GSM people experience it, too. :( I don't know if it's a hardware thing or software, but since sprint and GSM people are already on 4.0.4 and it is still a problem, I'm leaning towards hardware. :(

Upvote 0
I really do hope that the one way calling deal is fixed with the OTA update.....
Al.gif

Upvote 0
I just wanted to mention that my wife has had the same issue a couple of times recently (and a couple a month ago). But...she has the Razr MAXX. We have a low signal in our house and I'm starting to wonder if it's a network problem instead. I've also noticed I have better signal strength (dbm) on my work Blackberry Bold than my Galaxy Nexus. Maybe it's a 4G network thing (even though I have it off at home most of the time). We are in Fort Collins, Colorado.

It's one of the reasons I didn't take a Razr MAXX trade-in for my Nexus since my wife had the issues also occasionally.

Steve

Upvote 0
Chris, try an app named SoundAbout.

I was just coming here to suggest that very app! Apparently this problem plagues the GSM version because it was happening to my boyfriends phone (we both got GSM phones at the same time, but I don't have this problem.... knock on wood!).

At any rate, my boyfriend says SoundAbout works like a charm and he hasn't had anymore issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones