• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want To Purchase?

Epic800

May 31, 2010
I really want to purchase this phone, though the Blackberry Torch comes out on thursday and what sets this phone apart from the blackberry. Also how is the battery life and touchscreen. Would this phone be more beneficial in the long run as far as updates and support for the phone go?

Well this phone runs on Android, as opposed to Blackberry 6.

The battery life is average, and definitely requires a break in period. I can get about 20-25 hours on it with average usage (web browsing, texting, talking, music, etc etc.)

Touchscreen is perfect. No complaints whatsoever.

Updates and support...from Samsung, expect the worse. They're notorious for leaving their customers out to dry. From the community, expect some great things once they get everything sorted out. I'd trust the guys from XDA far more than anyone from Samsung

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
It sort of depends what you want to do. BB is very closed system - dev licenses cost a fortune and everything is heavy security based. Also, you can't sync with Exchange - only BES, so if you want to use it for work, your company must have a BES.

BB usually make terrible phones, so are you talking on it much? I will admit to not liking BB, I hate the OS, and I hate the quality of voice calls. There are not many 3rd party apps, and navigating media sucks. The old OS was so plain text, it actually made it hard to read formatted emails.

My opinion. Also, there have been no reviews yet on the Torch - so it is still a bit of an unknown.

Upvote 0
i also have an iphone 3g. i'd rate the iphone as close to 10/10 (perfect). it sets the benchmark for responsiveness and word-correction. i'd rate the android keyboard 9/10. the only thing you will have to get used to is the correction which isn't always perfect.

i think swype is a good reason to get this phone. if you haven't used/tried it yet, you're in for a surprise :)

Upvote 0
I really like the Samsung keyboard. The stock android keyboard is poor, but Samsung did a nice job with theirs. I am not much of a swype user, as I touch type and swype makes me look and think.

I think the keyboard is better then the iPhone and the Droid. I have not tried iPhone 4, so I can't comment on that.

Upvote 0
Overall how satisfied are you with the captivate?

I've had the Captivate for a week and have owned numerous Samsung and Nokia products in the past. I've dissected my dad's iPhone 3GS, his Nokia N75, and others. All that being said, here we go, my own mini-review (I am coming from a BlackJack II, FYI) *deep breath*:

The PROS:

This bitch is fast, excuse my language. The first thing I noticed was how quick it went from screen to screen, and on the TouchWiz interface at that. I've had no exposure to Froyo at all but it's supposed to be some kind of Jesus Juice for the phone that will make it the next best thing since wearing your hat backwards. Day one I went to LauncherPro which was quicker and looked better than TouchWiz and I've never gone back.

The multitasking is phenomenal. On the BJII I was lucky to be able to look at my contacts list to conference call with someone. On the Captivate, though, I can text, look at my contacts list, assign pictures to people on the list, send pictures, look at webpages and the like all while speaking to someone. It was amazing and it never missed a beat. In addition to that if you're listening to the music player or streaming Pandora you can do all of the above while the music plays in the background.

THE SCREEN is like having your own HDTV in your pocket. I have never seen a more beautiful screen. I'll lump the camera in this one too: AMAZING. 720p video recording, 5.1MP camera, both fantastic.

16GB of space built in with an optional 32GB additional possible with a MicroSD is AMAZING, to me. The phone is SKINNY, but large in the face as well, accentuating the screen awesomeness. I like the thinness because in your pocket you can barely feel it, but not to the extent that you won't notice if it isn't there.

Getting a little long winded so I'll move on to

The CONS:

The lack of physical buttons. I grew up with buttons and although no buttons makes the phone look awesome, it kinda irks me when I accidentally brush a program or a button and have to wait to close the program I just opened accidentally.

No flash. That's pretty much it. I hate being the only one in a bar who isn't taking pictures because even with the low light setting I can't see a damn thing. Yeah my screen is AWESOME, but I can't SEE anything with the camera. Kinda blows.

Lack of support for certain video types. I watch alot of anime and foreign films with subtitles and weird audio packing, so when I have the perfect video to show off the screen and I can't HEAR it, there's a problem.

The...GPS? It's not a terribly big issue for me since I never used it often, but with alot of users it's a dealbreaker. Samsung swears it'll be fixed though, and with Jesus Juice (Froyo) on the way I think it'll be a non-issue soon enough.

Overall I give the phone a 8.5 out of 10 after a week of using it. Awesome phone, makes the iPhone 4 crowd jealous, makes the DroidX crew wheezy, and makes the Nexus One crew lightheaded.

This all is, of course, my opinion.

Upvote 0
Didn't expect that much of a feedback. Thanks a lot for your opinion. I just don't want to be disappointed once I purchase a one. The only other competitor I am looking at right now is the Torch. Though it seems like a new innovation for RIM, it is still going to function like my 9700 would with new browser and touch screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones