• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to switch to a different pay as go plan??

android001

Jun 18, 2011
Hi, I am currently a T-mobile user with pay as go plan, no contract. My cell phone is T-mobile Comet. I would like to switch to a different pay as go plan, NOT with T-mobile anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions to a good non-contract plan?

I feel that T-mobile is trying to get people to switch to contract plan. I have pay as go plan, just for talk/text, no data. They used to have this unlimited data plan (data only) for one dollar per day but now it's 2 dollars per day for unlimited talk/text/data. I don't need unlimited talk/text if I want to switch to this $2 per day plan. Basically, I use my cell phone for talk time only. Once in a while I need to use my cell phone as wi-fi hotspot for internet when my home internet is down. But this 2G speed is too low for PC. I tried to tether my cell phone as hotspot for my computer (PC) but I always get this error message, "the server takes too much time to respond." I can never use my cell phone as the hotspot for internet. Hence, there is no use to buy that $2 dollars per day for unlimited data/talk/text plan. Besides, I only need data for one day. $2 for data/talk/text for one day is too expensive for me. I am looking for a pay as go plan for talk time, as cheap as possible. If they have a data plan, not monthly plan, no contract, that's even better. Thanks.

Looking quickly, I can't find many great plans for a basic cell phone; it seems that most plans expect people to have smartphones. Even the "basic" plans largely seem to be either $2/day or $30/month; for example, T-Mobile's $30 1500 plan, where you get any combination of talk minutes and texts up to 1500.

One that would likely be worth trying for you is Lycamobile. Their pay as you go plan is 2 cents per minute talk, 4 cents per minute text, and 6 cents per MB data. They also have free SIMs, so you should be able to try them out for very little money ($10 or less, I'm not sure what the minimum payment is but I believe it is no more than $5), and they use T-Mobile's network. You also only need to use the phone (talk or text) every 120 days to keep your account active (I believe your balance remains so long as the account remains active).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones