• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Was ready to swap nexus for rezound, but...

jkc120

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
Sorry in advance, this is long. :)

Ok, first let me just list out the few disappointments I've had in the nexus. I will preface this with the fact that I was fully ready to return the nexus and get a rezound. I am also the AR type, so take this all with a grain of salt. I mention why these didn't ultimately make me return the phone and get the rezound, too.

The things I was disappointed in but which I've come to grips with:

- yellowish tint in the upper/left of the screen. I idn't really notice this until someone mentioned it on here. And when I tried to show both my wife and the CSR, I felt borderline ******ed trying to point it out. I realized it is very subtle and if it had bothered me I would have noticed before being told about it.
- blue blocky aliasing in videos (see my other thread). This is "fixable" with a workaround (using screen adjuster, a free app). So this is a non-issue now for me.
- speaker volume is low. This is the only thing I haven't really been able to fully accept. The speaker volume isn't great, but I don't usually use speakerphone much. However, for things like tango/skype, this will be an issue for me I think. I'm willing to deal with it I guess. :)
- radio performance is not great. I am hoping this is fixed in an update, but I realize it could and probably is a hardware problem. I held the rezound side by side with the nexus and the rezound was sometimes getting 25-30 dB better! :eek: BUT, and here's the kicker, speed tests were STILL faster on the Nexus! We're talking 12/5 on the rezound and 18/13 on the nexus. This gives me hope and honestly I'll take the better speeds and poorer reception I think, and hope the reception issues are addressed.

Things others have mentioned about it, but which don't bother me:

- camera quality: better than my dinc by far, so no issue for me here
- video quality: again, better than my dinc
- battery: I have not observed bad battery, BUT I am on wifi 99% of the time. So this is ok. I realize 4G == battery sucker. I will have a car/wall charger with me so again no big deal.

So taking all of the above into account, I started holding them side by side and these were some additional thoughts that went through my head and why I ultimately decided to swap my device:

- I really really do not like Sense. I know I can use a different launcher, but I despise the other parts of it. It's laggy, not as clean, and I just don't like it. That's JMO, of course others may prefer sense. Just saying that it was a factor for MY decision to stay with the Nexus
- I don't want to have a phone which may never get S-OFF. Reason? See the above bullet. I want vanilla Android. I've been running cyanogenmod on my dinc forever, and I'm just spoiled by vanilla android. In fact, I felt like going from a dinc/cm7 to a rezound/sense-gb was a step backwards.
- While the rezound got better reception, the speeds (as noted above) were much worse.
- Look/feel: the rezound just plain does not look as good (to me) as the nexus. It's much thicker and has a rather cheesy look (again, just my opinion)
- led notifications are not as flexible and not to my liking

So ultimately, after driving to the VZW store and being ready to totally return the nexus and get the rezound, I realized I was nuts and that the pros of this device outweighed the cons, and that they can take the nexus out of my KUNG-FU grip!

Now, I just hope some of the issues can be addressed (e.g. radio perf). If not, I'll deal.

Just my story...for someone who was really stoked for the nexus, then hit some minor snags (which phone doesn't have them??), then realized the nexus is the best device (for me) on VZW.

Now to re-install all my apps/etc. For some reason, my google backup settings of wifi/etc were not restored (contacts were though). I also have to go through a few battery cycles now to re-prime my extended battery.

- speaker volume is low. This is the only thing I haven't really been able to fully accept. The speaker volume isn't great, but I don't usually use speakerphone much. However, for things like tango/skype, this will be an issue for me I think. I'm willing to deal with it I guess. :)

Download Volume+ the paid version is free if you go to the devs site:

Downloads | AndroidAudioHacks

1. install
2. set speaker volume to 8
3. reboot phone
4. .........
5. profit;)

Reactions: JLW24 and rhietpas
Upvote 0

1. install
3. reboot phone
4. .........
5. profit;)

Thanks, yeah I saw that in another thread. I'm a bit worried about blowing out the speaker. Just paranoid I guess. :) I'll wait to see if 4.0.3 and/or 4.1.x fixes the issue. Failing that, I'll probably try the volume+ app. By then I'll know if you all have blown your speakers out yet. LOL :p

Upvote 0
Thanks, yeah I saw that in another thread. I'm a bit worried about blowing out the speaker. Just paranoid I guess. :) I'll wait to see if 4.0.3 and/or 4.1.x fixes the issue. Failing that, I'll probably try the volume+ app. By then I'll know if you all have blown your speakers out yet. LOL :p

Speaker doesn't crackle or pop... sounds good like my Inc. I use my phone as an alarm clock so this was a must.

Upvote 0

1. install
3. reboot phone
4. .........
5. profit;)

Great suggestion. I downloaded Volume+ last night and was happy with the improvements. I dont keep it on all of the time, just if I am watching video.

I too was having the Rezound/Nexus dilemma as we have crossed paths throughout the day and I must tell you, I came to the same decision as you. What helped cement my decision was watching the video Nvidia Purevideo HD 1080p Test in youtube on both phones. I was surprised. The Nexus blew the Rezound away IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones