• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Came across this interesting blog entry yesterday.
Was ‘Internet’ First Used For A Transistor Radio? | Mark Hill :: Antiques & Collectables Expert :: Author & Publisher

InternetRadioBox1.jpg

Internet radio before the internet. White(used to be white) earphone as well, decades before the Apple ones. Bad English from Hong Kong, nothing unusual here.

I actually had an Internet transistor radio when I was a boy. A two band Medium Wave and Long Wave one. Think it was a Christmas present in 1968.

Oh my word thank you for sharing this!

I am crazy over old technology and also have great appreciation for how we got to where we are today.

Very cool!

Have you got any more links like this one bud?

I can get lost in an antique shop! :)

Also 2nd hand shops! :)

These 2 are my kryptonite! :D

I saw a really old lighter in the 2nd hand shop! :)

Too bad it was very expensive.....

:-(

You would never believe it but I found an oooold old old English penny in my BACK GARDEN!

It is identical to this picture here!

1908pennyrev400.jpg

I kid you not!

In my back garden from me digging to the center of the world! :)

It WAS from 1908 in my back garden from me digging to China when I was very young!

I say.... WAS because it was covered in dirt and I asked my dad "hmm what can we do to make it more visible or make it shiny dad??"

:(

Sadly my dad poured "something" too strong on it and it was no more! :D:D:D

Now it is green! :D

hehehe! :)

Shame man at least he tried! :)

Wow!

It looks like it was worth a bit too hehehe! :D

Penny 1908 : English Coins : Realised Prices

Could have had about R1000 give or take but I had waaaay more fun melting it though! :)

It was fun! :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
You would never believe it but I found an oooold old old English penny in my BACK GARDEN!

It is identical to this picture here!

Penny 1908 : English Coins : Realised Prices

Could have had about R1000 give or take but I had waaaay more fun melting it though! :)

It was fun! :D

Do not be so sure. There is much more involved with coins that a simple cursory exam will reveal. Bob is not an English Penny expert, but my guess is you are missing something.

My expertise is in US airmail issues and you would be surprised at how many "rare" finds i am shown that turn out to be not so valueable. Paper, centering, errors perhaps and color often make what one thinks is a winner, nothing more than al also ran.

If the issue is a variety listed at being worth $9200.00 dollars and it is actually a more common variety I can buy at less than face value, people do not believe me because they see the picture and it looks like what they have.

Lots more to it, Stink-Meister, than a simple cursory exam and a picture from the web will indicate.

Or, you have a rareity . . . that does happen.

Upvote 0
Haha Rob! :)

You crack me right up dude! :D

Thank you for that very interesting info ... hmm ... but I guess it doesn't even matter because it is green now and the face on the coin is melted! :):):):)

Oh wise (but troller) Stinky says: Looks better this way to be frank! :D

The weirdo in the wheel chair on this coin always made me think England was / is filled to the brim with cripples! :D

The guy in this photo is SO me!

5055032357_69d1d1be72_z.jpg

BY THE WAY!

Oh my hat I almost forgot!

Pops (my Grand father :)) back in Durbs (Durban East Coast of SA my home town where I grew up 90% of my life... but sadly left due to insane out of control crime rate.. "yay".)

He "HAD" an ooold Nazi WW2 freaking knife!

(I say HAD because one of the workers ******* stole it.. :mad:)

WOW he has some amazing stuff in his house!

That knife must have been worth quite a crap load I think?

Wow... it was also a very well built knife!

I was really surprised for the brilliant build quality for something so old!

I couldn't believe how good the condition was and the build quality for something that old... I WISH modern manufacturers would give that much time and craftsmanship into modern day knives etc etc... but they don't.....

The ******* shit head that stole it is most probably living in the town ships knifing some body for their shoes with it...

He also has an ooold scooter or something like that?

Wow that is a pretty scooter!

Nice metal but a little bit of paint is messed up.

He said it is MORE than double my age! (about 5 years ago :))

I don't believe it though!

But gran said it is true! :D

Vespa or was it vispa?

I think it was "Vispa".

Yeah it was Vispa.

wow that was a long time ago!

I cannot rememebr actually!

Too long ago now.

I get lost inside an antique shop!

All the amazing stuff... very interesting place.

There is another 1 about a 2 hour walk from my house I have been DYING to go there! :)

Just need time and to wait for this crazy rain! :(

Time is running away these days.,,

sheesh time is bad for me these days!

Pops has got loads of comics too!

Wow he has loads of old comics and the X-Men used to look like losers!

WOW THEY LOOKED LAME.

Sorry if you like that look but I sure as hell don't!

They looked like losers! :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Oh my word thank you for sharing this!

I am crazy over old technology and also have great appreciation for how we got to where we are today.

Very cool!

Have you got any more links like this one bud?

I'm also crazy over old technology Stinky, and have always had a fascination with the cheapo side of technology as well. The Internet radio I had, I seem to remember it wasn't much good and crapped out within a few months. Family and friends knew I was interested in electronics and electrics and taking things apart, so they'd always give me their old radios that had died, for me to take apart and see what I could do with them, and often it was these cheapo Hong Kong ones. It was a good way for a young boy to play with some practical electronics, to look as resistors, capacitors, diodes and transistors, see how things worked. Try to fix them, and most of the time it was just poor soldering/dry joints in them.

Here's one that someone gave me in the 1970s to mess around with...
Perdio Popsy 2
warped.jpg

"Cheap Hong Kong tat."
"The radio (I think it just about qualifies as one) was probably left above a radiator, and being cheap tat had warped."
"Jeez, if this is the Popsy '2' what the hell was the original version like ?"

:rolleyes::D

And my fascination with cheap tat has continued to this day. And have become totally fascinated with the cheapo side of Android devices, and is also one reason why I choose to live in China now.

BTW I do like that guy's website...
http://www.thevalvepage.com/

http://www.thevalvepage.com/radios/perdio/pr41/pr41.htm

lion.jpg

"Perdio's lion logo looks less like a roaring angry lion and more like a worried looking lion waving goodbye, as well it might as within a few years Perdio were to become a mere badge stuck on to some horrid Hong Kong tat before dissapearing for ever. The start of the decline of the British radio industry."
:rolleyes:

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
Wow there are some brilliant old radios on that web site!!!

Very cool web site!!!

WOW!!!

I am looking every where like a kid in a candy store! :D

When I was a lot younger I so wanted an old radio but 1 that is Analog and NOT digital but there is /was nothing awesome in my close family or around my neighborhood that had anything like that. :(

I used to take apart the digital ones but it was all very complicated but is very interesting to see soldering here and there!

I took apart an old computer screen (Cathode Ray Tube) it was colour! :)

Now THAT was very interesting!

I was trying to take the 1 part and carefully remove but "something" cracked and made a whole lot of gas "woooosssh" from breaking! :D

I think I was 11?

Wow I enjoyed that!

I was very lucky my dad was in IT and had an old broken screen lying around! :)

I always wanted an awesome and old Analog radio like those on that awesome website!

I wonder if he will ship to me?????

I must check.

Upvote 0
I always wanted so badly to see how the first radio wsa invented / designed and who was involved.

I read up and I think I remember something like, it has a kind of "copper coil" wrapped around some metal and then a "needle" at a certain length on the coil to "catch" the waves coming in at the right length.

I think I remember something like that?

And then connected to the speaker, it only needed to receive and not transmit so there was no problems there with just 1 receiver.

I so I want 1 of those!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones