• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wasn't Able To Queue

RichSz

Not Entitled
Jul 9, 2010
Between Imladris and Lothl
I got my Chromecast yesterday and got it hooked up and working with no problem. To test it I installed the Chromecast app on my new Nexus 7 ('13) and started streaming YouTube videos. This is where it got a little weird.

The first video came through fine and the quality was excellent! I was expected far worse. The next video stalled and eventually timed out. If I stopped it then restarted it worked. I then tried to queue a few videos and everything after the first stalled. I noticed the subsequent videos began with ads so my theory is somehow the ads choke the stream. Dunno.

I'll play with it more over the next few days to find the pattern. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I'm not sure the device supports queuing yet. So far when I send another video, it replaces what was already playing. Queuing would be a great future feature. It would be nice at home, but it would also be really cool in a public space. We have a video night in a local tavern which currently requires a DJ to play requests. A Chomecast could easily automate the process and let people queue their own requests.

Of course this leads to another needed feature... The ability to assign a security code for situations where you don't want everyone to be able to Cast.

Upvote 0
The video queuing of YouTube is not something directly related to Chromecast. This functionality has been available for awhile with my Google TV device and my LG Blu-ray player's YouTube app with using your phone's YouTube app to send videos to the TV. I use this with music videos quite often. I had noticed that some days the video queuing works better than others. I think it might have more to do with their server load than anything else.

I just wanted to add this tid bit so that you don't think the Chromecast device is necessarily the culprit.

Reactions: RichSz and KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones