• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Water Damage

jenkarthik

Oct 15, 2009
I have recovered several water damaged phones and thought maybe this could help someone else :)

If its a toilet or some kind of non-chlorinated water, your phone most likely can recover.

First shake it out as best as you can. If it is not off turn it off.
Put it in a bowl of rice for about 12 hours. (just with the back off and the battery removed)
then disassemble your phone as far as you can. Take all pieces and set in the sun (preferably outside, unless you live in a humid climate)

Seriously do not try to reassemble for 2 days!!!! If you turn it on and any part is wet, you take the risk to short something out.

Reassemble and waaalaaaaa....

At least it works for me!!!!

Dropped mine in a cup of water and put it in a baggie with dessicant. It worked about 6 hours later, but there was still moisture under the screen. I left it in the baggie over night and it was good as new by the morning (about 16 hours after originally dropping it in the water).

Dessicant works much better than rice and you can dry it out after it becomes saturated by putting the dessicant packages in the microwave for 20 seconds or so.

Upvote 0
There's a product called "Damp-Rid", like those little silica packets shipped in electronic packages that you're not supposed to eat, lol, that would work well too. It's available at Home Depot & Lowe's... Certainly better than Rice.

Also, if ever this happens to you, pull the battery asap, don't bother touching buttons to try and turn phone off which might actually turn it on (even just the screen) and cause issues then.

:cool:

Upvote 0
if you can't find silica dessicant (sunday night & hardware store closed) then your all-nite supermarket may have silica-based cat litter, which is basically a damper variety (more paw-friendly). Dry a couple of cups in oven to get it back to the aggressively dry state, and wrap phone in paper towel to keep the granules out, then combine in a baggie

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones