• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wavesecure - tracking a bit useless?

popsoda

Apr 24, 2010
London
I find that the tracking on wavesecure isn't really that efficient especially since it's now an app with a monthly subscription.

The main reason is that the gps tracking on it is really pretty poor in accuracy and this is the main thing I use it for.

So are there any alternatives with more accurate tracking on it? ( I mean google maps gives it more accurate than WS)

Hi popsoda,
WaveSecure actually uses Google Maps for its tracking. If you have problems with accuracy, perhaps it was because GPS was switched off. If GPS is turned on, pin pointing the phone's location will be a lot more accurate than relying on cell towers.

Do note that if the phone is not able to get a GPS lock in 1 minute (for example, when the phone is left indoors), WaveSecure will fall back on using cell towers for location.

On another note, we are happy to announce that WaveSecure SMS gateway in the US is now live! This means WaveSecure users in the US will no longer incur international text charges when performing remote commands from our web site.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Upvote 0
If you want to check out an alternative look at Mobile Defense. If you're rooted it gives you the ability to remotely turn on your GPS, which is invaluable to me since I always keep my GPS off when I'm not using it.

Sorry for the shameless plug. You can do the same with WaveSecure. On a rooted phone, WaveSecure can be made hard reset proof and doing so lets you remotely turn on GPS even when it's off.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones