1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Weird Speedtest results

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dgr_874, Jan 7, 2011.

1. dgr_874

dgr_874 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    New Evo user here and I had a question about some weird results that I have been getting when I use the Speedtest.net app. I live in Texas right on the border with Mexico. Sprint says they have a strong 3g network all around this area. No 4G here. When I test, i only average about 130 kbps download no matter where in town I am. I average about 170 kbps upload speeds no matter where I test it. I took it into the local Sprint store and they said everything looked fine on it.

Im confused as heck about this. I thought for sure that Sprint would have a better network than ATT in this area. I also thought that download speeds were always better than upload speeds. Do I just have a crappy network area, or is something wrong with my Evo? I have a stock Evo with the hotspot active. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement

2. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    I'm pretty sure those are average speeds on the 3g network. If I'm sitting under a tower when I start a download on my laptop I've seen maybe 170k or so but that's about it. What speeds were you expecting?

3. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    well, in my home town (Phoenix), its not uncommon for me to get over 2.2mb down on Sprint 3G. Keep in mind, speedtest apps are not known for their accuracy.

4. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    2.2 mb download speeds would be on the extreme high end of 3g speeds. From what I have read, around 500 or 600 kb is considered a good "typical" speed for 3g.

That being said, there is a lot that goes into actual "speed" that is not captured in a speedtest. Add that on top of the variability a program like that already contains, and it's difficult to get definite answers. The best test is your actual experience with the speed on the phone.

5. dgr_874

dgr_874 Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    i really dont know what speeds i was expecting. I was hoping for something faster than ATT. Im testing the Evo right next to my iphone everywhere I go and its just as fast as the Evo at work and its much faster everywhere else in town. I guess its just the area and networks here. Thanks for the help.

6. HTCRALEIGHFAN

HTCRALEIGHFAN Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2010
    AMERICAN REDCROSS
    RALEIGH, NC
    did you ever change the location?

click on the speedtest app and select change location...and pick a location that is closer to you....if you dont see a closer location close the app out and try try try again...it may take a few tries till you get a closer location!

some times by turning the gps on and letting it run and do the same above may work!

there is better sites out there to speed test

http://.testmy.net/mobile is a good place to go

Tags: