• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Weird Speedtest results

dgr_874

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
New Evo user here and I had a question about some weird results that I have been getting when I use the Speedtest.net app. I live in Texas right on the border with Mexico. Sprint says they have a strong 3g network all around this area. No 4G here. When I test, i only average about 130 kbps download no matter where in town I am. I average about 170 kbps upload speeds no matter where I test it. I took it into the local Sprint store and they said everything looked fine on it.

Im confused as heck about this. I thought for sure that Sprint would have a better network than ATT in this area. I also thought that download speeds were always better than upload speeds. Do I just have a crappy network area, or is something wrong with my Evo? I have a stock Evo with the hotspot active. Thanks in advance for any help.

2.2 mb download speeds would be on the extreme high end of 3g speeds. From what I have read, around 500 or 600 kb is considered a good "typical" speed for 3g.

That being said, there is a lot that goes into actual "speed" that is not captured in a speedtest. Add that on top of the variability a program like that already contains, and it's difficult to get definite answers. The best test is your actual experience with the speed on the phone.

Upvote 0
i really dont know what speeds i was expecting. I was hoping for something faster than ATT. Im testing the Evo right next to my iphone everywhere I go and its just as fast as the Evo at work and its much faster everywhere else in town. I guess its just the area and networks here. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
did you ever change the location?

click on the speedtest app and select change location...and pick a location that is closer to you....if you dont see a closer location close the app out and try try try again...it may take a few tries till you get a closer location!

some times by turning the gps on and letting it run and do the same above may work!

there is better sites out there to speed test

http://.testmy.net/mobile is a good place to go

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones