• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well Rounded Revolution Review

I spent 90 whole minutes with the Revolution today:

1. Touch reponse on this unit was fine, so not sure about the other time tested (that was not as responsive). I tested Tiger Arcade and played Metal Slug. Worked fine for a Vpad & touch display.

2. The TB's display looks a bit more defined and the DX2 is much better. A nice web page to test is the Dolphin HD home page. Even at full brightness, the contrast and brightness was a little less than the TB and a lot less than the DX2.

While comparing that page, you will also notice the whites are off on the the TB and the Rev and at default page size, you can read the letters of the main text and are clearer on the TB and much clearer on the DX2, in spite of the DX2 having even smaller letter due to the resolution.

3. The radio reception seemed fine to me, but the call quality is weaker than the DX2.

4. As far as heat, both devices were at 103 degrees while playing Flash at Dailymotion, but the DX2 seems warmer, due to the metal cover.

Flash performance on the Rev was MUCH better than the DX2. Not sure what version of Flash ships with the Rev, but 10.3 appears to SUCK THE LIFE out of the DX2. I downgraded the DX2 to 10.2 and performance is now just as good as the Rev, but now randomly resets while playing Flash content (think I am using the hacked Xoom version, since only 10.2 that I could find).

5. The UI seemed fine on this Rev, where as my other random tests it seemed choppy....

Frankly, since the touch response is better than I first tested, I would have considered the Rev, due to the 7.5gb extra storage, but the display is the weakest feature IMO on the device. Added: When playing games or watching videos, the display looks fine. Reading text was the issue for me. Needs to be zoomed more to get clear fonts.

Performance was SOLID, none the less.

Upvote 0
I know you went with DX2 and you want to feel good about it. But your comment like is a bit stretch and scares some interested folks away from Revo. As much as DX2 users had reasons to choose it, Revo users have reasons to go with single core 4G phone. It's not like one side is absolutely right or smarter than other. I agree that there are some works to be done for 4G network tech, but it's work in progress. For me issues like overheating seems more serious as it's hardware component or design related.

Nah, I would want to feel good IF past the 14 days ;) Next time you are in a VZW, install and open the Dolphin HD browser and compare the home pages and try a reading test. The contrast is weak, so gives the impression the display is a little washed out and the resolution seems almost like a pentile or amoled for grain.

DX2 is not in the clear, since I am not getting very good vibes from VZW tech support, or a local rep about fixing the audio pop or the Flash issues.

I like Flash, but Flash does not appear to like the DX2. No sooner I state the DX2 is a keeper, I get less than solid feedback from VZW. At least I did not get patronized. The DX2 apparently was designed and pushed for two reasons:

1. Bleed out component and add-on inventory
2. Bridge due to Bionic failing a summer launch

Motorola seems to be on the ropes ATM.

Upvote 0
Nah, I would want to feel good IF past the 14 days ;) Next time you are in a VZW, install and open the Dolphin HD browser and compare the home pages and try a reading test. The contrast is weak, so gives the impression the display is a little washed out and the resolution seems almost like a pentile or amoled for grain.

DX2 is not in the clear, since I am not getting very good vibes from VZW tech support, or a local rep about fixing the audio pop or the Flash issues.

I like Flash, but Flash does not appear to like the DX2. No sooner I state the DX2 is a keeper, I get less than solid feedback from VZW. At least I did not get patronized. The DX2 apparently was designed and pushed for two reasons:

1. Bleed out component and add-on inventory
2. Bridge due to Bionic failing a summer launch

Motorola seems to be on the ropes ATM.

Thanks for your mini review and further feedback on Revo. I actually did thorough browsing test on Revo, Tbolt, Charge, DX2 myself for a little more than hour yesterday and posted on other thread here. They were all running on 3G as my area is not blessed with LTE just yet. Browsing speed wise, both Revo and DX2 were very fast, Tbolt was close second and Charge was dead last. Similar story for smoothness of zoom, scrolling on web pages. Charge was the worst but after setting plug in to on demand it got much better. I tried Dolphin HD only on Charge and it solved most of lag, choppiness problem in Charge.

Regarding screen quality of Revo, I agree on low contrast as it has somewhat grey looking black. But brightness on white screen was very good with accurate white. I did this test with google home page on stock browser. Revo was brighter than Tbolt, Charge but close to DX2, all at max brightness. All in all I also would give slight edge to DX2 on display mainly due to better contrast. But I like the colors on Revo as it seems more accurate and natural than others. Charge has excellent sharpness, contrast, vivid colors, but its color looks almost too vivid to me. I disliked Tbolt screen most as it's not particulary better at anything. I think display quality is very subject to personal preference though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones