• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weren't there supposed to be 1000's of Apps?

I have to say that when the Android Market tells me I can browse the "top" apps but need to use the on-phone App-finder to see it all, I am immediately Paranoid. This is precisely the Hipster-Nerd-Elite stuff that makes me go all queasy when I think of the low-hanging I-Fruit that is everything open-source is NOT. It makes a person ask, what are you hiding?

Having said this, I still expected that there would already be several large Softpedia-type sites with a google or two of applications waiting for the Android user. You know--everything that open-source is. So now I find myself looking for an alternative audio-player to find that only TuneWiki comes up more than once or twice (and with each new introduction I like the option less).

So am I looking in all the wrong places, or should I have stuck with WM if I wanted 35 choices for every type of app?

Right now, I'm feeling a bit scared...at least until my contract is up again.

I have to say that when the Android Market tells me I can browse the "top" apps but need to use the on-phone App-finder to see it all, I am immediately Paranoid. This is precisely the Hipster-Nerd-Elite stuff that makes me go all queasy when I think of the low-hanging I-Fruit that is everything open-source is NOT. It makes a person ask, what are you hiding?

Just use the market app on your phone...I can't figure out why you are having a hard time, unless I am reading your question wrong. Tunewiki, the HTC player, imeem, theres an ipod like player that has a "n" in the name (I forget). Best way to find all this out is launch the market app and look in the category.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones