• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What backup is necessary?

HTC Hero, Sprint CDMA. 2.1 and .7 update. I was able to root using z4root. I'm new to rooting so I have a couple of questions. I'm NOT going be flashing a new ROM. My only needs were to delete some bloatware and to do wireless tether. After root, I did a backup using Titanium Backup. Should I also do a Nandroid backup or am I in good shape with what I have? z4root takes up 22mb of scarce memory. Can I delete it now that I'm rooted or is it necessary/advisable to keep it? I'm hoping I can simply download and install it again should I need to unroot. FWIW, z4root worked but it wasn't a flawless process. It took a couple of runs and two manual reboots to get everything working properly. But, it did eventually work and it didn't brick my phone, so I give it a thumbs up. Thanks!

Yes you do, flash the recovery first, then do a Nandroid for safe keeping, then you can play with the apps you want to remove, keep in mind before you remove any apps make sure they are not apps that are needed, such as Gtalk etc... As for the root app, I would keep it incase you want to unroot, or you can find the apk file and keep that on your PC, so this way if they ever stop supporting that app, would can always manually install it back on your phone if need be, and also use titanium backup to uninstall the apps you want

You can download the apk from here and save it for safe keeping incase they ever take it out of the market, [APP] z4root - xda-developers

HTC Hero, Sprint CDMA. 2.1 and .7 update. I was able to root using z4root. I'm new to rooting so I have a couple of questions. I'm NOT going be flashing a new ROM. My only needs were to delete some bloatware and to do wireless tether. After root, I did a backup using Titanium Backup. Should I also do a Nandroid backup or am I in good shape with what I have? z4root takes up 22mb of scarce memory. Can I delete it now that I'm rooted or is it necessary/advisable to keep it? I'm hoping I can simply download and install it again should I need to unroot. FWIW, z4root worked but it wasn't a flawless process. It took a couple of runs and two manual reboots to get everything working properly. But, it did eventually work and it didn't brick my phone, so I give it a thumbs up. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Z4Root takes up 22 MB of space? Are you serious? I checked it in the Android Market and it was only a few hundred KB at most. That seems weird that it would be reported as so much more for you.

If you are not changing ROMs you do not have to do a Nandroid backup, but I would anyway just to be safe. You will, of course, have to flash a recovery image first before you can do a Nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
Z4Root takes up 22 MB of space? Are you serious? I checked it in the Android Market and it was only a few hundred KB at most. That seems weird that it would be reported as so much more for you.

If you are not changing ROMs you do not have to do a Nandroid backup, but I would anyway just to be safe. You will, of course, have to flash a recovery image first before you can do a Nandroid backup.

Menu-Settings-Applications-Manage applications is reporting 22.37mb for z4root for me. I was shocked myself but it seems accurate based on the amount of free space I had before I installed it compared to now. It lists 1.12mb for the application itself and 21.25mb for "data". Any idea what the data is? There's no option to clear the data. . I'm still a bit confused on the backup. One reply says it is necessary, one says it isn't. :) No, I'm not changing my ROM. I'm happy with Sense and the phone is snappy enough with the stock ROM. . I have a copy of the 2.1 RUU that I got from the Sprint website. htc_sprint_hero_mr_2.27.651.6.exe If I'm understanding the process properly, if I have a problem and need to get the phone restored, I just run this file. That would get me back to factory default, right? Then I would use my Titanium Backup file save to get me back to where I am currently. Yes? No? .

Upvote 0
Menu-Settings-Applications-Manage applications is reporting 22.37mb for z4root for me. I was shocked myself but it seems accurate based on the amount of free space I had before I installed it compared to now. It lists 1.12mb for the application itself and 21.25mb for "data". Any idea what the data is? There's no option to clear the data. . I'm still a bit confused on the backup. One reply says it is necessary, one says it isn't. :) No, I'm not changing my ROM. I'm happy with Sense and the phone is snappy enough with the stock ROM. . I have a copy of the 2.1 RUU that I got from the Sprint website. htc_sprint_hero_mr_2.27.651.6.exe If I'm understanding the process properly, if I have a problem and need to get the phone restored, I just run this file. That would get me back to factory default, right? Then I would use my Titanium Backup file save to get me back to where I am currently. Yes? No? .

Yes, run the ruu to get back to stock 2.1

No, TB will not restore anything as you will need to have superuser permissions to download and use TB

Upvote 0
Yes, run the ruu to get back to stock 2.1

No, TB will not restore anything as you will need to have superuser permissions to download and use TB

1) run the RUU

2) root again with z4root

3) use TB and my save file (on the sd card)

Will this get me back to where I am at the moment? I'm assuming I won't need too much protection, as I'm not going to be flashing a ROM, but I do want to be able to easily get my apps and settings back if necessary.

Upvote 0
And yes make a back up if nothing else to have a safe back up for safe keeping incase you mess something up somewhere along the line, and if your rooting you will have SU app and you will be able to download the TB and save your apps.

Upvote 0
Why root again, you said you did root ??

1) run the RUU

2) root again with z4root

3) use TB and my save file (on the sd card)

Will this get me back to where I am at the moment? I'm assuming I won't need too much protection, as I'm not going to be flashing a ROM, but I do want to be able to easily get my apps and settings back if necessary.

Upvote 0
I had it before but uninstalled it, I will install it again and let you know, according to the apk app is says it is 933 Kb's

Has anyone else used Z4Root and can confirm that it has 22.5 MB of data? I had no idea it was like that.

It makes me wonder if Z4Root is holding some sensitive information to send back to the mother ship. Haha.

Upvote 0
955 Kbs, uninstalling now, LOL Here look below

Upvote 0
Then yes you are correct you would have to root again, but as mentioned, if you are rooted, then do a Nandroid back up of your stock, then you can go right ahead and uninstall the apps you want, then if you mess something up or uninstall something that you did not want to uninstall you simply restore :cool:

Yes, I did root. That scenario was what to do if things got totally screwed up and I had to start from the beginning. I'm assuming I have to root again after running the RUU but I obviously could be wrong since I'm new to the process.

Reactions: Bob Coxner
Upvote 0
955 KB is the size of the app as shown in the image I took, and I preferred the one click Universal Androot, but the one you have is good also, just seems to be a little tricky to get it to work on the first try and the Z4Root can root the .7 build as the one i used cannot

I don't see any text. Did you find something alarming? z4root seems to be very popular at the moment and I didn't see any serious grumbling when I researched it. My other choice was superoneclick (until I feel confident doing it manually).

Reactions: Bob Coxner
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones