• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What can you do with S3 that you can't with an IPhone

universem2

Jun 26, 2012
I am starting this thread to help other iOS defectors. I would like to find out all of the things that an iPhone can't do compared to an android device to help sway iOS to the light.

1. Widgets
2. Live Wallpapers
3. Pure phone customization. ( themes )
4. Emulators to play old video games. ( snes, n64, mame....)
5. Google Maps Navigation.
6. Access to file explorer like in a pc.
7. Share most files with other apps for easy uploading. (In iOS you are restricted to what applications the app is designed to share with )
8. 4g Speeds
9. Better notification system with control over individual notifications.
10. True multi-tasking.

Am I missing anything guys? I wrote this thread also for some of my friends who are considering the switch after seeing the SGS 3.

TASKER!

The fact that this open source OS allows consumer access to "ALL" sensors/events/timers/... COMPLETELY sets ANY Android device apart from IOS.

It sometimes takes months of negotiation with Apple to release an app that makes use of certain sensors. Often this is because Apple has their own product in the works that is similar to what is already developed.

Upvote 0
Ease of Rootability -- Try to jailbreak an iPhone what a mess!

Complete ROM changeout/flash by consumers -- this is not only an easy practice now but in the communities it is fully accepted (minus the vendors saying it will void warranty). This one is very important since if your device is feeling old and tired you can simply Flash a new ROM in that completely or near completely changes the look, feel, and useability of the device. Want the newest OS update but the vendor has not released it yet? For most devices the new OS update is supported in the dev community far earlier than vendor OTA releases.

Ability to Theme (I know already listed but needs expansion) -- You can make your Android look, feel, operate, just like an iPhone. Theme changes imply that you are ONLY changing the look of the device when in fact you are often changing the UI drastically to meet your needs. Look at HUBs UI on YouTube Asus Transformer: Hubs Navigation Tutorial - YouTube. These are stock Tablet devices that are making use of applications/widgers from the market to fully change the UI experience.

Upvote 0
I think of android as an enthusiast OS. You can do a lot more with it. It's not always easy to use and sometimes getting it to work with all of your third party accessories can be difficult, but it is a lot more capable, so the trade off is worth it.

I could list hundreds of things the S3 could do that the iPhone can't, but my advice to anyone who wants to know is to try them both out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones