• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What do these icon mean in the Desk Clock app?

In the home screen of the clock app, about 1/8 from the bottom (centered) of the screen are to icons which form an oval/pill shape. The left half is a crescent moon with a star, the right is a monitor with a small clock in front of it. What do each of them do? Or to be more specific, how do they differ, they appear to do the same thing...

In the home screen of the clock app, about 1/8 from the bottom (centered) of the screen are to icons which form an oval/pill shape. The left half is a crescent moon with a star, the right is a monitor with a small clock in front of it. What do each of them do? Or to be more specific, how do they differ, they appear to do the same thing...

The one with the Crescent moon seems to Dim the clock, while the other one has it nice and bright....

What I am wondering is if there was a way to make the font bigger when it is in landscape mode

Upvote 0
Right, I did notice that little dimming difference, I was thinking there was more to it. That is way too arbitrary to make such distinct buttons. And even if it is, how does a computer with a clock equate to being brighter, and a moon dimmer? It looks like they really need to make a new clock app considering this issue and the fact that you can't leave the digital time screen on all night. Ugh!,thumbs up to the Evo, but thumbs down to the clock/alarm app!

Upvote 0
It appears that the moon is the "bedside/night clock," meaning it dims so you can use it as your alarm clock without it being obnoxiously bright. The monitor is the same thing only for use during the day, so it doesn't dim (literally, a clock for your desk).

The only downside is that you appear to have to leave the phone plugged in order for the screen not to go into sleep mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones