• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What Does "open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory." Mean?

D

Deleted User

Hi,

I'm making a gold card for my HTC Desire so I can put a Vodafone ROM on there, and on one of the steps it says to "open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory."... I don't exactly know what that means, could someone please explain to me in a ******ed monkey prospective?

Thanks in advance...:)

On Windows... start, run, "cmd" and press ok will open a command prompt. The extract directory is the directory (or folder) you extracted whatever it is youve extracted. When you open cmd, it opens with a location, usually c:\users\Dan for example.

It's a command line tool. If you type cd\ it changes location just to c:\. From there you can type cd\users\Dan and be back where you started.

Using that logic, you can cd (change directory) to anywhere.

However if you use the goldcard tool and follow the guide in my rooting faq, it may be easier for you. Link in my signature

Upvote 0
Another thing I've been meaning to ask is when I want to update the software on my phone via Settings > About Phone > System Software Updates > Check Now, will it get rid of the Vodafone ROM I'm about to put on. I'm looking to update it when Gingerbread comes out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones