• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what DON'T you like about s3

I bet you think it's cheap because it's plastic. Well what you don't know is that modern plastics can be as strong as and even stronger than steel.

Nobody is stopping you from installing one of the Jelly Bean leaks or ROMS that are already out. I installed a leak a few days ago on mine and have to say it is pretty much done.

I believe the plastic feels cheap. So do many others.

You can't try to have an arguement on whether or not the plastic feels cheap. That's like argueing whether strawberry or chocolate ice cream is better.

I prefer the sturdy feeling of metal

Upvote 0
Did you miss the part where many of the posters here have said how much they like the phone, aside from their identified issues? The OP created this thread for users to discuss their dislikes, maybe you missed that part too. If you think this thread is "trollish", perhaps don't contribute and instead find another thread that points out nothing but sunshine for you.

now, i never pointed anyone out, and yes a bit trollish does seem fitting, imho, especially when someone points me out for a post i made as such to personally say something. that was my opinion.... if you dont like it, flag it, or better yet, dont read it bud.
how about you search for another way to point out how my opinion is any different then everyone elses and validates being singled out?

on top of that, there are threads/posts on these identified issues, maybe not the wobbely buttons... and your contribution is where??

but hey, to each their own right?
welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I believe the plastic feels cheap. So do many others.

You can't try to have an arguement on whether or not the plastic feels cheap. That's like argueing whether strawberry or chocolate ice cream is better.

I prefer the sturdy feeling of metal

heh... what is beneficial is that plastic is flexible; while it's hard to argue a metal back plate doesn't "feel" cheap, all the iPods in our family have dents in the back cover that certainly make them "look" cheap :)

Upvote 0
I bet you think it's cheap because it's plastic. Well what you don't know is that modern plastics can be as strong as and even stronger than steel.

Nobody is stopping you from installing one of the Jelly Bean leaks or ROMS that are already out. I installed a leak a few days ago on mine and have to say it is pretty much done.

Ok, First this, READ the question, It says and i quote "General what DON'T you like about s3"
That's asking MY opinion about the SGS3?

2nd thing, I never said it was cheap? You assumed i ment that, I just dont like the plastic feel.

3rd thing, Saying to install a

Upvote 0
now, i never pointed anyone out, and yes a bit trollish does seem fitting, imho, especially when someone points me out for a post i made as such to personally say something. that was my opinion.... if you dont like it, flag it, or better yet, dont read it bud.
how about you search for another way to point out how my opinion is any different then everyone elses and validates being singled out?

on top of that, there are threads/posts on these identified issues, maybe not the wobbely buttons... and your contribution is where??

but hey, to each their own right?
welcome to the forum.
Again, think you're missing the point of this thread.
My contribution is the 4th post down on the 2nd page. Still waiting for yours.

Upvote 0
Had mine two weeks so still in the honeymoon period. Came from HTC Desire HD and I think its awesome. Does not seem as solidly made as the HTC (silicone case helps this). However connectivity is much better and I read this is because of the plastic as opposed to HTCs metal. Cant understand the battery issues, is it just the US version, I charged mine at 4pm on Tuesday, I have been switching it off at night but I have also been using / playing with it. Its now 8.30 on Thursday morning and its showing 46%

Upvote 0
I am coming from using an iPhone since 2007 on the original release day, so my expectations may be different than others. Love the device but I have found a few things that I miss or are a bother.

Medium Bother
Not being able to see a picture sent to me via mms in a full screen mode and not being able to zoom in is a bother. I don't want to have to save the picture to my album, then exit mms and open album to find the pic then tap it and view it full screen. You should be able to tap the picture in the mms app and have it viewed full screen. I had to install a third party app to to get this simple function.

Huge Bother
Not being able to send video that I shot. Having to shoot the video in crappy quality to be able to send it via mms and not having a good quality copy is a real bummer.

To compare it to the iPhone way...I shoot HD video today of something going on. Then 3 days from now someone says "hey, I would like to see that too" so with the iPhone, you just send it. It could be a video that is several minutes long and recorded in HD. Doesn't matter with the iPhone. It just sends it. Quality on the other end is only slightly altered from HD but the phone takes care of any conversion to make it sendable.

Galaxy won't do that. You have to shoot the video originally in shitty quality to send it mms and now you also have a shitty copy with no HD copy.

Somehow, Apple must have a deal with the carriers to be able to send any size file. I never saw a message on any of my iPhones (had them all except the 5) that said "this file too large to send via mms". I got that message 3 or 4 times the first day I used my S3.

That sucks.

Medium Bother
I miss Apple AirPlay. That was slick.

Upvote 0
After a week of use...

1. I don't like that stock Weather/clock widget can't launch Clock app! Wherever you tap on the widget it only launches weather app.

2. Phone app was way better on my old HTC Sensation! There's just too many taping to find and dial a contact!

3. Stock keyboard should have special characters on hold-tap.

Upvote 0
Had mine just a week, so still in the honeymoon period after 2 years with an iPhone 4.

Battery life, or lack of battery life, now purchased a replacement 3150mAh battery and getting almost 12 hours in place of the 'stock' 5 to 6 hours.

Wifi roaming... I have 2 access points in the house and I have to manually connect between the two - ok one's on 'g' 2.4ghz and the other is on 'n' 5ghz but this should still work.

Storage... I have installed a 64gb sd card but most things install into the phones memory. Even rooted the phone and installed Android 4.1.1, and this actually seems to make things worse since some apps can't see the sd card as it 'appears' to list as usb storage and not a sd card! I'm guessing this is a generic Android thing however.

email app..... like the Samsung app where I can have multipule accounts, but can't get rid of the gmail app so I get multipule notifications on my gmail email.

Screen rotation.... no landsape view for the home page/apps pages (same problem on the iphone).

No password device lock... OK you can encrypt the whole device and the sd card, but you turn the phone on you can't 'lock' it without getting one of the apps that do this....

s voice, not a patch on siri.

No DNLA media client.

As previously stated by others:-
The location of the speaker causes problems when phone is on a 'soft' surface, however speaker phone seems much better than my iphone.

While the last thing I really 'hate' is Kies OK, not actually the phone itself, but the darn thing wiped my whole address book, duplicated everything and caused all sorts of changes to names and details.... sync of media causes headaches.

Upvote 0
Again, think you're missing the point of this thread.
My contribution is the 4th post down on the 2nd page. Still waiting for yours.
ok...
i dont like the fact that when im rooted, the email colors (display?) are reversed as to the background being dark and the font being light, compared to stock white background with black lettering... no themeing, just stock rooted sph-l710, also it seems a few things were different in just ui and feel and look?? anyone notice this also?

other then that, no gripes

i like the plastic personally, it may seem flimsy and all (cheap feel for those) but i know it will be cheap if i have to repair it, if anything ever comes loose, it wont short out, and keeps this beast light!
the battery is great on mine, not sure if its my set up or my ocd to installing and uninstalling apps with adds/push adds, i get 8-12 hrs with 4-5hrs of screen use on 3g

ooh, i dont like that being so large and beautiful, it didnt come with a stylus, lol

Reactions: mobits
Upvote 0
Most of my issues are with touch wiz which can be changed. I guess I miss some features from sense 3.6-4.

- Missed call preview in lockscreen

- Text message preview in lockscreen

- Calendar/Agenda widget

Wish there was a way to change the tones when dialing a number. Theres only a way to disable or enable it. Default is the Samsung droplet sounds.

Dont like being show the contact screen after ending a call for those few seconds.

Wifi signal isnt as strong as any of my other devices. Where I normally get full bars the s3 gets only 2 or 1 some times.

I do wish the screen was brighter find it hard to see it outside on a sunny day.

Upvote 0
Switching from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S3 just 3 weeks ago I was singing the praises of my Android device.

Now, I have many moments that I wish I were still on the iPhone (though I have decided to keep my GS3).

Here are the shortcomings...

1. Battery Life. We have talked about this ad nauseam.

2. Notifications. The total lack of bigger banner-style notifications being pushed to the home and lock screen when mail or any other news item arrives is disappointing. I hope Jellybean fixes this.

3. Email. The email apps for Android suck. Can't begin to tell you how much more refined email is on the iPhone. I am hoping since Google purchased Sparrow Mail that we will get a better email client for Android.

iOS, as boring as it is, just seems more refined than Android.

On the other hand -- for those who are hating me right now -- I am still very disappointed in the release of an iPhone with a "taller" screen. I very much enjoy the extra real estate on my GS3 and look forward to upgrading to the Galaxy Note 2 in November.

Upvote 0
My only real complaint about my S3 is its next to useless outside "sometimes". I go outside breaktime to try to do some personal things when at work and have to find shadows (no joke) to stand in to use it.

I was trying to show someone a video I took the other day and were standing there trying to block the sun with our hands.
Art recently released an update that provides a dimmer feature in the swipe down menu. Ill just toggle its auto switch on/off and it'll work fine

Upvote 0
So I was a longtime Palm Treo user, and still use it for some apps that just are not available for android.

With all the hype and hoopla I would not have expected some of the following gripes, but here is my list

Audio Jack // Blue tooth: Bluetooth for phone call use is disabled with audio jack inserted for music play through speakers. - should be able to set a preference in settings - should have provided a micro-usb charger/audio out cable; cannot find one either
>> They should have a software fix for this

USB vs MTP device: Why would they possible do this? Is the S3 designed to be a toy or a potential business device? Make the format of the memory selectable USB or MTP

volume buttons opposite the on/off is simply bad ergonomic placement: they should have been offset so squeezing with one hand does not land on the undesired opposite button. DUH

cannot copy then cannot paste a ph# into dialer What am I missing?

cannot create an addl folder in email app ie 'saved' where I can store emails.

ability to 'lock' app specific settings - voice input for this app // keyboard input for that app, and make it stick.

where is the track # and other tag info in music players?

File synchronization?? How is it possible that the S3 is inferior to obsolete Palm devices? Beyond music and photos, regular files need to be synched too.

The case ~was~ too slim and slippery for my hand; though a case made it feel better and did not take a good sized phone and make it too big; it made a too small one just right for my hands.

Alarms are blocked by notifications! Went to the restroom last night before turning in for the evening. Missed a call. In the morning the alarm didn

Upvote 0
1. Poor battery life
2. Can't reorder phone favorites; can't set which # to call of a favorite (e.g. "mobile")
3. Email app has too few controls
4. Tinny internal speaker
5. Poor speakerphone outgoing voice quality

I would be very happy if all the above didn't exist. But I'm still not trading it for the iPhone 5 I returned on launch day to get my S3.

The bottom line: Samsung, please fix all these problems, exactly two years from now. ;) :D

And the real bottom line: There is no perfect phone. There's only the best phone for a given person. I think the iPhone 5 is the best phone for 80% of people. And the S3 is the best for those of us who are tech workers and power users, who can make use of its features and don't need the "it just works" interface. Or those who need the big screen in their pocket for watching videos.

Upvote 0
So I was a longtime Palm Treo user, and still use it for some apps that just are not available for android.

With all the hype and hoopla I would not have expected some of the following gripes, but here is my list

Audio Jack // Blue tooth: Bluetooth for phone call use is disabled with audio jack inserted for music play through speakers. - should be able to set a preference in settings - should have provided a micro-usb charger/audio out cable; cannot find one either
>> They should have a software fix for this

USB vs MTP device: Why would they possible do this? Is the S3 designed to be a toy or a potential business device? Make the format of the memory selectable USB or MTP

volume buttons opposite the on/off is simply bad ergonomic placement: they should have been offset so squeezing with one hand does not land on the undesired opposite button. DUH

cannot copy then cannot paste a ph# into dialer What am I missing?

cannot create an addl folder in email app ie 'saved' where I can store emails.

ability to 'lock' app specific settings - voice input for this app // keyboard input for that app, and make it stick.

where is the track # and other tag info in music players?

File synchronization?? How is it possible that the S3 is inferior to obsolete Palm devices? Beyond music and photos, regular files need to be synched too.

The case ~was~ too slim and slippery for my hand; though a case made it feel better and did not take a good sized phone and make it too big; it made a too small one just right for my hands.

Alarms are blocked by notifications! Went to the restroom last night before turning in for the evening. Missed a call. In the morning the alarm didn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones