• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what DON'T you like about s3

Handcent does not block stock messenger app, even though I chose the option for it to block both? Why is that? On the Evo this worked with no problem. But on the GS3 it just opens up without asking for the pass code.

Also holding the middle button down brings up your recent apps, but it also opens up your text app and you can see a quick preiview of your recent text. Whats the point of locking your text if they can be seen so easily.

Stock keyboard and swype dont always capitalize the letter I. What is that about? Thats just the basics. :td

I'm only on day 2 but if i cant figure out a way to fix these things then this is going back before day 14.

1st. Email the dev about hancent. or try go to setting, applications, messaging, then disable.

2nd Disabling messages will fix.( I also think there is a way to change the function of the home key, just not remembering right now)

3rd If you don't like the stock keyboard there are several great apps in the market

Reactions: aeiou2
Upvote 0
1st. Email the dev about hancent. or try go to setting, applications, messaging, then disable.

2nd Disabling messages will fix.( I also think there is a way to change the function of the home key, just not remembering right now)

3rd If you don't like the stock keyboard there are several great apps in the market

Thanks and I appreciate your response and I will email the developer about the problem.

However, I do not see the option to disable the messenger. When I got to setting, there is no option for applications. It has application manager, but that is to see whats running on the phone. No further options to disable.

Disabling messages might fix the problem, but even handcent shows up when I hold the home button down. Thats even with the lock code set up. There is still a preview of whoever you text. It literally just disregards the lock code and does a print screen of your text

Finally, one of the things I love about android is Swype. Even the stock keyboard has the swype function. But not capitalizing the I seems so weird to me. Why would they do that? Thats just english 101 and I dont remember it being that way on older versions.

thanks again

Upvote 0
If you had a product which was the fastest selling product at every release and capable of shifting 2 million in the first week why exactly would you change it???
You would be an idiot to, from a business perspective.
I don't think iOS needs changing. Could do with some of the functionality added after jailbreak adding as standard though.

I would change to appeal to more. There is huge scope to do more with the iOS and the phone itself. It's almost like they're scared to mess with it too much encase they muck it up.

I would introduce 2 devices; iphone 5 and iphone 5 deluxe for example, the latter sporting 4.5+ screen. Almost like what they are doing with ipad mini. With the larger phone it would have iOS but tweaked. If Apple on the latter tweaked the iOS to allow some sort of 'Apple' widgets - I reckon that would bring in those the like their widgets.

Upvote 0
Thanks and I appreciate your response and I will email the developer about the problem.

However, I do not see the option to disable the messenger. When I got to setting, there is no option for applications. It has application manager, but that is to see whats running on the phone. No further options to disable.
Sorry yes, you will have to go into setting, application manager,(select all at the top of the screen)then messaging to find it

Disabling messages might fix the problem, but even handcent shows up when I hold the home button down. Thats even with the lock code set up. There is still a preview of whoever you text. It literally just disregards the lock code and does a print screen of your text

I think go sms might have private messaging options. will check and get back to you

Finally, one of the things I love about android is Swype. Even the stock keyboard has the swype function. But not capitalizing the I seems so weird to me. Why would they do that? Thats just english 101 and I dont remember it being that way on older versions.

thanks again

Think I found your fix, go to settings language and input, then select your keyboard (samsung?) you will then be able to select certain options including auto capitalization.

It looks like go sms has privacy settings and you can even disable pop ups so that no one can see your message as it arrives. It's free so it would be worth a shot.

Upvote 0
Think I found your fix, go to settings language and input, then select your keyboard (samsung?) you will then be able to select certain options including auto capitalization.

It looks like go sms has privacy settings and you can even disable pop ups so that no one can see your message as it arrives. It's free so it would be worth a shot.

Thanks again and I tried your suggestions but none of them seem to work. Under applications the ability to diable the stock messenger is greyed out so it cant be done.

I already had auto capitalization checked out, but it says its only for the first words in a sentence.

Go sms performs just like handscent. It has the same features and same security, but if you press the home button long enough you can still see all your recent text activity.

Upvote 0
My complaints are minor.

1. The gallery sucks. I'm gonna try another gallery app.
2. The Samsung keyboard sucks. Corrected with Swype.
3. The screen turns on when I get a text. Can't figure out how to stop that.
4. The LED indicator light. Can't disable it. It's too bright at night. I've got it unchecked in the settings and it still comes on. I've disabled it in individual apps...it still comes on.

That's it. Otherwise I absolutely LOVE this phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks again and I tried your suggestions but none of them seem to work. Under applications the ability to diable the stock messenger is greyed out so it cant be done.

I already had auto capitalization checked out, but it says its only for the first words in a sentence.

Go sms performs just like handscent. It has the same features and same security, but if you press the home button long enough you can still see all your recent text activity.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I did try out the disable on the messaging and it let me do it. So maybe it's your carrier. IDK though. As for the keyboard issue I use swiftkey it's worth the few bucks you pay. Good luck in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones