• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what dvd player should I get?

I'm looking for a drive that will connect to my tablet via USB C. All the drives I have seen say their S/W works with Windows not Android. I'm not certain if that means the drive is or is not seen by Android?
I've never tried using a DVD drive with Android. My guess is that any old USB DVD drive will work fine. Maybe you should head to a computer shop such as MicroCenter, and see if a salesmen will let you hock up a DVD drive to your tcomputer before you buy it.

Upvote 0
They still make DVD players???:unsure::LOL::unsure::LOL:
Yes, they do. They still make movies on DVD too. It's not a dead format (yet).

Although I prefer the late 1990s DVD players, with more premium design and a front panel display over those Chinesium Sanyos at Walmart that can't even output in HD.

But I think OP is looking for a blu-ray Player given they want to play Blu-Rays, and I know of zero DVD players that even have a USB port, much less a USB-C port.

Do they even make optical blu-ray drives that connect via USB-C? I was always laughed at when I asked for the mere option of an optical drive for a laptop--people must assume nobody uses DVDs or CDs anymore.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I have a
why not just rip the blu-rays to your PC and then move them to your device?
I
I have about 100 movies, most are Blu-ray. Seems like a lot of work to rip them when I already own them. Do you think any of the Google/Android players are any good?

Upvote 0
I have a

I have about 100 movies, most are Blu-ray. Seems like a lot of work to rip them when I already own them. Do you think any of the Google/Android players are any good?
it will depend what format the movies are in. VLC should work:

the main thing is that i have not found any bluray drives that work on an android device. so yes it will be tedious, but it is the only way that i found.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Have you tried connecting them to an Android computer, and seeing if they work? Even if they don't say they work with Android, they still might.
android computer? do you mean chromebooks? if so, no i have not. but i think they will not work because chrome os is different than android.

plus i have not found a blu-ray player that works on android.

Upvote 0
What DVD player should I get that supports USB C, Blu-ray, and M-disk for my SM-X800?

Are you actually wanting to play DVDs and Blu-rays on the tablet itself? If it's mobile or portable use, probably much easier just to buy a portable DVD player that has a built-in screen.

BTW It's a very time since I've seen a Blu-ray or DVD, Are they still a thing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones