• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What features do you want on the Evo 2?

What I want to know is if the Evo 3D really has both WiMax and LTE radios. If it doesn't it's a deal killer for me.

Yes I know smartphone tech changes fast, but since most of us no longer qualify for 1 year upgrades, I don't want to be stuck with unusable WiMax, when Sprint starts offering LTE next year... When I say unusable, it's because WiMax coverage is to spotty and it just doesn't seem to work, once you walk into a building because of the 2.5ghz frequency it runs on. It doesn't even work when you're driving down the road because the handoff from tower to tower just doesn't work right.

Upvote 0
I personally don't care for the kickstand. I mean I would flick it in and out whenever I'm bored and get fidgety, but as far as practical use, I could just prop it up against something and continue on. I personally thought it was tacky.

That being said, I'm not a fan of that backside. The camera setup just looks horrid.

The specs still are very impressive and I'd get it if I didn't have to wait another year to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Its not simply the functionality of the kickstand, its that its part of the evo 'brand', i suppose. It sets it apart from all the slate phones that are all beginning to look alike. Sort of like how the bottom left of the NookColor has this peculiar gap in it...catches your eye, sets it apart from all the galaxy tabs, ipads, and other tablets out there that you'd probably never be able to tell apart.

Nook_Color.jpg

oh well.

Upvote 0
Ok. Let's play devil's advocate and look back at the info BSOD provided..What actual information did he provided (that was not already leaked) vs information that was incorrect. Call it a game. I think the clear miosses were the netflix announcement and the kickstand.

Of course it would be easier if he came on to explain (but that would be too easy)

dont forget NFC.

Upvote 0
Ok. Let's play devil's advocate and look back at the info BSOD provided..What actual information did he provided (that was not already leaked) vs information that was incorrect. Call it a game. I think the clear miosses were the netflix announcement and the kickstand.

Of course it would be easier if he came on to explain (but that would be too easy)

If he's legit, he's busy today, don'tcha think?

It will all come out in the wash.

The only game here is the new Evo.

Mod warning: attack the issue, not other AF members.

Upvote 0
Selling a replacement back as an accessory makes more sense than pocketable.

Lower entry cost, less flames from detractors, more aftermarket Benjamins.

Not surprising.

I hope my projection is right. I'd be willing to fork up a little extra cash for a replacement cover that has a kickstand. But I will say that I'm not willing to make the phone thicker as a result. This is just assuming, if they do that, the kickstand is seamless and integrated into the replacement cover (so that it doesn't feel any different from the original battery cover). If they don't have that option, I'm up in the air about upgrading (unless the battery life is determined as significantly better with heavy daily use).

Somebody at HTC has a hang up with pocketability and they need to get over it!

The pocketability sounds like an excuse to me. As many complaints as I saw on here about the kickstand being "flimsy" (which in my opinion, it really isn't as flimsy as many might say), they probably didn't want to hassle with that problem. I just hope that my theory on a "replacement battery door that includes a kickstand" is true.

Upvote 0
What I want to know is if the Evo 3D really has both WiMax and LTE radios. If it doesn't it's a deal killer for me.

Yes I know smartphone tech changes fast, but since most of us no longer wualify for 1 year upgrades, I don't want to be stuck with a unusable WiMax, when Sprint starts offering LTE next year... When I say unusable, it's because WiMax coverage is to spotty and it just doesn't seem to work, once you walk into a building because of the 2.5ghz frequency it runs on.

I think the switch to LTE should be the last thing you should be worried about. Most areas don't even have 4g yet and sprint has not officially announced anything.To think that sprint would be able to switch from wimax to lte in 2 yrs is giving them WAAAY too much credit. Nothing happens that fast

Upvote 0
I'm still holding out hope on most of what BlueScreen was saying. The event was only a half hour & a lot of the things he mentioned were more technical. I hope Sprint or HTC come out with some long product demo's on Youtube or something, in which they dive deeper into some of the features he was talking about (NFC, night shots, combining the images from both lenses on 2D pics, etc).

Upvote 0
I bet there isn't a kickstand because they put the USB port on the left side of the phone. The only reason I can see them doing that is because it makes it easier to make a dock that the phone fits into in landscape mode. I can see HTC docking ports as an extra accessory that will be available for both desktop and car mounts being released at the same time.

Jiggs

Upvote 0
I think the switch to LTE should be the last thing you should be worried about. Most areas don't even have 4g yet and sprint has not officially announced anything.To think that sprint would be able to switch from wimax to lte in 2 yrs is giving them WAAAY too much credit. Nothing happens that fast

Based on what they've been saying, going to LTE won't take them that long. They've stated they could cover their current 3G footprint with LTE by the end of 2013. If that's true, I would think they could start lighting up LTE cities by the end of this year.... Just remember Network Vision and Project Leap Frog.

Also, have you seen any new WiMax cities being announced? Clearwire's out of cash and Sprint is upgrading.... I doubt Sprint will start to install more WiMax, on their own.

Upvote 0
If he's legit, he's busy today, don'tcha think?

It will all come out in the wash.

The only game here is the new Evo.

Mod warning: attack the issue, not other AF members.

understood deff. guy should be busy enough to not be able to post today if hes there.
BUT when all is said and done, after a week or so, we can't be going blindly on allowing someone to post stuff claiming its truth when its far from it.
Hypothetically he could not even work for HTC less someone here has meet them and can verify it. Just going on some few points made with the Evo last yr isn't enough.

Again I want to believe BSOD is telling the truth but, i also believe you should always do your homework and not believe everything you hear, esp stuff that is on the net and could be posted by anyone.

back on topic though, the phone looks sick, and if the stuff BSOD mentioned is in fact in it like NFC and such, then I will be all over this bad boy. Really wish they went into the " Industry first dual channel 1gig DDRRAM and with active 4gig tri-channel ROM"

the last line in BSOD's post though could lead to his real name though.."VP of one company..."..Jason Mackenzie anyone?????

Upvote 0
Where's the speaker on this thing? Didn't see it. I figured it would for sure have the surround speaker the Thunderbolt has..If any phone is going to have nice speakers it should be a 3D video phone. If it has just one regular speaker that will be a disappointment, along with no kickstand. Don't know what it has to do with pocketability. Also don't know why they'd give it more bezel. Damn powerful though.

Seen a lot of people around the interwebz complaining about it being 3D. I don't care about 3D but why would anyone care? Not like you have to use it. Without it it's still the most powerful phone out there.

Upvote 0
Where's the speaker on this thing? Didn't see it. I figured it would for sure have the surround speaker the Thunderbolt has..If any phone is going to have nice speakers it should be a 3D video phone. If it has just one regular speaker that will be a disappointment, along with no kickstand. Don't know what it has to do with pocketability. Also don't know why they'd give it more bezel. Damn powerful though.

It's hard to see from this picture, but the speaker is on the red surround, right under the right lens.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/03/htc-evo-3d-first-hands-on-46.jpg

I guess I just don't understand why their flagship phone gets bundled up into a 30 minute presentation with a tablet, while the Echo got it's own dedicated event. Also, what happened to the Xoom & Atrix?

EDIT: Here's a better pic.

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/HTC-EVO-3D-SlashGear-05-slashgear.jpg

Reactions: effluent
Upvote 0
understood deff. guy should be busy enough to not be able to post today if hes there.
BUT when all is said and done, after a week or so, we can't be going blindly on allowing someone to post stuff claiming its truth when its far from it.
Hypothetically he could not even work for HTC less someone here has meet them and can verify it. Just going on some few points made with the Evo last yr isn't enough.

Again I want to believe BSOD is telling the truth but, i also believe you should always do your homework and not believe everything you hear, esp stuff that is on the net and could be posted by anyone.

back on topic though, the phone looks sick, and if the stuff BSOD mentioned is in fact in it like NFC and such, then I will be all over this bad boy. Really wish they went into the " Industry first dual channel 1gig DDRRAM and with active 4gig tri-channel ROM"

the last line in BSOD's post though could lead to his real name though.."VP of one company..."..Jason Mackenzie anyone?????

Do I recall correctly that he was the first to say the E3D had some memory tricks that only verified today?

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
we got processor, cameras, display. but not really anything else from the presser

this does not sound like a handset that is fully baked.

i think a lot could change. this isn't baked.

im embarassed to say im such an evo fanboy that not seeing the kickstand on those pics has ruined my day. im going to go cheer myself up by getting a haircut and my oil changed. and drink beer.

Upvote 0
Do I recall correctly that he was the first to say the E3D had some memory tricks that only verified today?

If I remember correctly, he did the exact same thing last year with the original Evo. The most obvious things he got wrong, but all the details that nobody outside of HTC or Sprint could know he was right on.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones