• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What FREE audio recording apps allow external microphone?

rEvo Lver

Jan 21, 2011
So far I've tried Easy Voice Recorder (free version) - but they charge to connect your external mic.

I've also tried Smart Voice Recorder - the level meters don't work and there is no sound difference when I connect the mic or not.

I have all the right hardware with the s3 -
1. 1/8" Splitter that divides the 4 pin mini jack I/O into individual headphones & mic inputs.
2. Mic with 1/8" mini out (battery powered and tested on it's own in my desktop).

No sound difference - so far the only working recorder I've tried doesn't get loud when I get close to the mic - and there's no difference in sound when I unplug it altogether.

Unless there is some main global phone audio input parameter - I have to assume that *some* apps don't even recognize an external mic?
So - which ones DO?

(Extra Note - I'm attempting to use the s3 as a stand alone high quality audio recorder to sync with video later)

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones