• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is the best prl to switch to?

The title says it all. I am currently using 01115. Is this the best or is there a better one? I saw a whole list and was told this was good. Is there one that will give me better results or should i stick with this one?

None, PRLs are a Roaming list. I know some people have said that one vs. another has done wonders, but I think it's random network breathing.

Upvote 0
Changing your PRL on virgin mobile does nothing. It basically changes the list used for roaming, which virgin mobile does not have. Sorry to tell you, but any "improvements" you do see are probably the results of a placebo effect.

Well i was getting around -120 dbm before i switched it now i get about -107 to -102. Seems like an improvement to me.

Upvote 0
A post from a few months back on the matter: same forum.

as thangfish pointed out, changing PRL's really won't do anything for you. Virgin Mobile phones do not roam. The increase in throughput could be quite a number of things not associated with PRL's at all... Lower network demand at the time possibly? Quite a while ago (LOL maybe 3 or 4 months ago) there were quite a flurry of posts about swapping PRL's to improve 3G throughput. I believe somewhere along the way it was said the swaps were sort of a placebo.

Sorry to chime in to burst your bubble, but you're better off leaving your PRL alone.

Upvote 0
You can prove this for yourself... Download the free app, OpenSignal.
This will show you exactly which tower you are connected to at any given time.
If you don't connect to different, previously unavailable towers with a given prl installed, then you have seen no benefit.

Network speed and signal strength can constantly vary for any of a number of reasons, none of which will be related to your prl.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones