• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

: What makes the Bionic any better than our Photon?

Skrillex

Android Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2011
So, from what I have read the Bionic has a "weaker" dual core processor than the Photon and I have not heard anything about the GPU being "better or worse" so why all the hype for the Bionic? I believe it has a slightly more advanced display and of course Verizon's 4G LTE is much better than Sprint but other than that they seem very identical to me... Any thoughts???

When I first heard about the Photon I remember saying to myself "damn, sounds a lot like the Bionic"...

Reactions: Gogators1974
Does the Photon shoot 1080p video? Bionic does and I thought I heard it was the first ever to do so...

From what I've read, upgrading to 1080p video shooting is something that can be changed with a software update (if Motorola decides to make that one of their update priorities). I could be completely wrong. I'm just reporting what someone else had mentioned before.

Upvote 0
So, from what I have read the Bionic has a "weaker" dual core processor than the Photon and I have not heard anything about the GPU being "better or worse" so why all the hype for the Bionic? I believe it has a slightly more advanced display and of course Verizon's 4G LTE is much better than Sprint but other than that they seem very identical to me... Any thoughts???

When I first heard about the Photon I remember saying to myself "damn, sounds a lot like the Bionic"...

As far as I've read, there's nothing that really indicates that the Bionic is that much better than the MoPho (with exception of the 1080p video capture...but as I mentioned above, I've also heard that it's something that could be upgraded via software update).

Nontheless, I think the Bionic is getting MUCH more hype than the MoPho, simply because it was supposed to be released a long time ago. It's also Verizon's flagship phone this year. The MoPho is being hidden in the shadows behind the EVO 3D (Sprint flagship).

All-in-all, it doesn't make a big difference to me as long as the MoPho doesn't get ignored for support.

Reactions: Gogators1974
Upvote 0
So, from what I have read the Bionic has a "weaker" dual core processor than the Photon and I have not heard anything about the GPU being "better All or worse" so why all the hype for the Bionic? I believe it has a slightly more advanced display and of course Verizon's 4G LTE is much better than Sprint but other than that they seem very identical to me... Any thoughts???

All this will LTE stuff is BS. I have the Mobile Hotspot from Sprint and 3G is Extremely Fast and 4G is Lightning Quick. Don't buy into the LTE Hype.

Upvote 0
All this will LTE stuff is BS. I have the Mobile Hotspot from Sprint and 3G is Extremely Fast and 4G is Lightning Quick. Don't buy into the LTE Hype.

LTE is much faster than WiMax and it has better range and penetration through objects. My comment was more based on the fact that Verizon has much more 4G coverage than Sprint though. I like Sprint however and they are doing a lot of things right while the other carriers are moving backwards if you ask me.

Upvote 0
About the only things the Bionic has over the Photon in my eyes are the LTE, a slightly larger battery, and a slightly more vanilla version of Android. Otherwise I think the phones are very similar, although I prefer the angled corners of the Photon in the looks department. The Bionic looks like every other Droid, nothing really distinguishes it in the looks department.

Upvote 0
About the only things the Bionic has over the Photon in my eyes are the LTE, a slightly larger battery, and a slightly more vanilla version of Android. Otherwise I think the phones are very similar, although I prefer the angled corners of the Photon in the looks department. The Bionic looks like every other Droid, nothing really distinguishes it in the looks department.

Here are the comparison charts:

Compare phones: Motorola DROID BIONIC, Motorola PHOTON 4G

Very similar as far as specs, with exception to the camera looking to be better on the Bionic (with still shots as well). But what I found interesting is the Bionic is slightly taller, but less thick than the MoPho and also slightly heavier than the MoPho. It's strange to me that they developed a different battery for the Bionic.

Upvote 0
Droid Bionic has a weaker SOC but it also has NEON which allows certain apps like Skype to work on it. Skype is supposedly getting nVidia's Skypekit reference app ready for launch soon.

So... get a Photon and wait for Skype or get a Bionic and give up Tegra Zone apps and games (no, Chainfire3D doesn't work for all of them.)?

That's about it.

Upvote 0
The reason that the Bionic got so much hype is actually because of the delay in releasing iPhone info IMO. Verizon put their entire smart phone roll out pretty much on hold after the Thunderbolt banking on a summer iPhone release. When that didn't happen, they needed something to step in and receive the hype. You also have to remember that Verizon is going to lose a chunk of people to Sprint when they get the iPhone and realize they can get unlimited plans still.

So yeah in a way, blame Apple...... :)

BTW, I do have one bad MoPho in my pocket and I ain't scared to use it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones