• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What tablet should i buy?

gino_76ph

Nov 24, 2009
Hiya!

Me and my missus are going out on a holiday this march and i don't want to bring in my ever so big 19" laptop.

what i want is an Android tablet that is so very much handy, portable and very good.

what i need is at least 7", has Android 2.2, at least 1Ghz processor, has full Google Android Market, really good screen (regardless of viewing angle), supports full 3D games (with an accelerometer, gyroscope et all but better if it has Nvidia's Tegra 2 chip), doesn't have to be 3G-capable, has an "N" standard wi-fi, has an HDMI port (to say connect it to a TV) and a USB port (to connect any USB device), supports microSD cards, and one that supports most video and audio formats such as AVI & MKV and MP3 & Flac respectively.

any sugestions guys....?

i plan to buy first week of march and my max. budget is

Most, if not all, of the tablets coming this year have those features. The big problem with Android tablets is that they're always tied into a carrier instead of being wifi only. The only two right now that I heard making waves are the Motorola Xoom and the LG G-Slate. Both are for a US carrier with a contract as far as I know unless you want to pay out the nose for unsubsidized. I'd wait a little longer and see what kind of announcements and releases come in the next two months before deciding. While there are tablets out there for Android, there aren't any real good ones to write home about at the moment.

Upvote 0
Here's one with lots of features and power - but - may not meet all of your requirements. OTOH, it's possibly the most advanced tablet I'm aware of. It does come in a wifi-only version, and one of its stand-out features is the Pixel Qi display - a switchable hybrid that goes from LCD to e-ink, making it perfect in any lighting condition.

E-ink viewing angle could be a problem.

Notion Ink: Contact

Upvote 0
The Galaxy Tab 2 is coming out soon, so better wait for that.

I know the way Tech stuff gets better quickly, now is never the right time to buy something, but in the tablet market now really isn't the best time.

This year will see a lot of tablets being introduced, as well as Android 3.0, specifically designed for tablets.

I know some people want things now and can't wait, but those that can wait always wait until at least the second generation, which as far as Android Tablets are concerned is this year.

Kris.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy Tab 2 is coming out soon, so better wait for that.

I know the way Tech stuff gets better quickly, now is never the right time to buy something, but in the tablet market now really isn't the best time.

This year will see a lot of tablets being introduced, as well as Android 3.0, specifically designed for tablets.

I know some people want things now and can't wait, but those that can wait always wait until at least the second generation, which as far as Android Tablets are concerned is this year.

Kris.

I can see your point. the MWC in February is coming and i'm sure there will be lots of good announcments as regards the Tab 2.

i always make it a point to "wait-and-see" and wait for at least the 2nd-gens as they tend to be a lot better than the current ones. i just thought going on a holiday its easier to bring a 7" or 10" tablet rather than a whole laptop which is bulky and heavy.

right now i want the Galaxy Tab. if they can release the Tab 2 by end of February or beginning of March then the better. or better yet a wi-fi only version of the Tab 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones