• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Tasker profiles is everyone using?? (This thread is NOT for requesting help with profiles)

I just played with another profile. I usually turn off my wifi when I leave the house and use the Car or Headset profiles. So I'm not sure how this is going to work but I tested one that'll make changes when I pull up and connect to my home wifi.

I will probably remove almost all the profiles except for my battery monitor and icon to toggle key lock and just recreate them again to see what else I can come up with that works better.

Upvote 0
There are some set profiles you can use to save battery (see here: Profiles - Tasker Wiki there are some that will copy juice defender's functions).

Really, the best thing about Tasker though is that you customize it to how you use your phone.

So there's no simple answer to your question. Just setup profiles to turn things off when you don't need them. (The "things" you turn off, and the "when" are up to you...)

Reactions: durps
Upvote 0
What are the best tasker profiles to save battery when you aren't using your phone for long periods of time, but still be able to just receive texts and calls?

I also suggest reading in the forums about how to save battery power. I never have GPS on at home and I keep the screen dim. Those are two things that'll use battery power. I use Wifi and after redoing some of my profiles I think I'm going to leave it on all the time. I can have it connect to a place I go and make changes for that location as well as automatically connect at home and make other changes.

Upvote 0
I was using a lot of battery until I disabled GPS at home. I now have Tasker turn it on only for those apps which really need it such as maps and traffic. WiFi gets turned on if I can connect to home or family networks, otherwise it's off. Also as previous poster my screen is set as dim as I can get away with - auto brightness may also be a battery drain.

On a separate note, does anyone else think this thread is getting very unwieldy and in need of ratiionalisation? It was a great idea to start it but finding anything useful really means reading quite frequently. Maybe it justifies a separate sub-forum so that each suggested profile can have it's own thread? Thoughts, anyone?

Upvote 0
On a separate note, does anyone else think this thread is getting very unwieldy and in need of ratiionalisation? It was a great idea to start it but finding anything useful really means reading quite frequently. Maybe it justifies a separate sub-forum so that each suggested profile can have it's own thread? Thoughts, anyone?

There are profiles on the Tasker website / wiki.

There is also a link to an official Tasker forum.

Why would we need to duplicate that?

If you want a forum dedicated to Tasker, why not use the official one?

Upvote 0
I agree and I don't see the point with general Tasker threads like this. There's the Tasker forum. Why reinvent the wheel?

I also suggest reading in the forums about how to save battery power. I never have GPS on at home and I keep the screen dim. Those are two things that'll use battery power.
The GPS receiver doesn't consume power unless it's actively used. I leave mine on all the time with no impact on battery life. However, if I use an app that uses the receiver battery life is greatly impacted, of course. If you have apps that use the receiver without your knowledge then it might benefit battery life just to turn GPS off.

Upvote 0
There are profiles on the Tasker website / wiki.

There is also a link to an official Tasker forum.

Why would we need to duplicate that?

If you want a forum dedicated to Tasker, why not use the official one?
I know
I know
I agree
I do

So why are you reading this thread? ;)
Loads of folk apparently think this thread is worth supporting, but as I said initially, as it gets longer it will be more difficult to make sense of it.
So either make it useful, or close it down?

Upvote 0
Now I have an issue.

I have a home profile that I set up with a cell near context then with a Wifi Connected. (two different times) Both of them changed the profile like it should have. The task I call "Normal" is what I'd use when Home exits, such as when I leave the house. The Normal profile calls the Normal task.

Out of nowhere, Normal wanted to change the profile while I'm sitting home under the same cell tower I set the profile up under, or when I used Wifi Connect I never lost my Wifi connection but it wanted to change.

I don't have a time set up for Normal. Its contexts right now are Not Wifi Connected and Not Cell Near, both being my location.

Is there a priority issue or some other reason Normal would load? Should I leave both contexts there?

What I want is for Home to only work here. Then when I get away from the house, Normal should load. When I get to one place I hang out, it should connect to their wireless and when I leave, revert back to Normal.

Should priorities be changed and does anyone else change theirs with their profiles?

Upvote 0
so i dont know why this profile is going nutty. i just have it set for a wifi near context with the right ssid. the enter task is to set wifi on if wifi isn't set. on exit it will wifi off if wifi is set.

wifi will start up and connect then after a couple of seconds the wifi will turn off. am i use the if statements wrong?

Maybe your wifi disconnects when the screen is off. So make sure your wifi sleep policy is set to Never to prevent this from happening.

Upvote 0
I use Wifi and after redoing some of my profiles I think I'm going to leave it on all the time. I can have it connect to a place I go and make changes for that location as well as automatically connect at home and make other changes.

You could also save even more battery by doing something like I do.

Profile 1:
Context > Wifi Near
Task > Stop

(Basically, doesn't do anything. But I need a Wifi Near profile to make sure Tasker turns on Wifi every few minutes to look for a connection.)

Profile 2:
Context > Wifi Connected
Task > Wifi On

So, whenever Tasker does a Wifi Near check, if there is a connection that is in my phones list of remembered access points, it will connect and then Wifi will stay on until I disconnect.

Saves more battery than leaving it on constantly :)

I know
So why are you reading this thread? ;)
Loads of folk apparently think this thread is worth supporting, but as I said initially, as it gets longer it will be more difficult to make sense of it.
So either make it useful, or close it down?

I come here for ideas I can use later, and to help those who ask for it.

I don't understand your argument. "Lots of people think this thread is worth supporting" therefore we should "shut it down"???

I don't think we should close the thread. I never said we should.

I also don't think we need a whole forum with separate threads for each "type" of Tasker profile there is. One reason why we don't need it is that there is already an official forum for the app. Another reason is that Tasker allows each person to make a customized set of profiles for their phone. So you would have about 30 millions threads to have to look through instead of just a handful.

IMO, there are too many Tasker threads already on this forum.

so i dont know why this profile is going nutty. i just have it set for a wifi near context with the right ssid. the enter task is to set wifi on if wifi isn't set. on exit it will wifi off if wifi is set.

wifi will start up and connect then after a couple of seconds the wifi will turn off. am i use the if statements wrong?

Are you using the most recent version of Tasker?

I was having a similar problem a couple of months ago, but it seems to have disappeared since I upgraded.

Upvote 0
I come here for ideas I can use later, and to help those who ask for it.

I don't understand your argument. "Lots of people think this thread is worth supporting" therefore we should "shut it down"???

I don't think we should close the thread. I never said we should.

I also don't think we need a whole forum with separate threads for each "type" of Tasker profile there is. One reason why we don't need it is that there is already an official forum for the app. Another reason is that Tasker allows each person to make a customized set of profiles for their phone. So you would have about 30 millions threads to have to look through instead of just a handful.

IMO, there are too many Tasker threads already on this forum.
My reasons for viewing the thread is similar to yours, to get new ideas and - in the unlikely event I can - to help others. I prefer to use the Tasker forum and Wiki as a source of ideas and profiles already developed by others, and have developed my own customised set of profiles. But if there's another source of ideas available I'll use it.

I didn't suggest we shut it down, it was a question ;) Neither do I want to get into an argument with anyone, but I believe my original point is still valid - if the thread is going to remain and continue to grow, can it be made more useful to newcomers and, if so, how?

Upvote 0
Thanks to this thread, I bought Tasker a few days ago. It seems really great. So far I have weather popping up at 8am and gps turning on when I open a couple applications. I tried having gps turn off when they close but the popup message that appeared was far more annoying than just turning it off manually.

I've love some talking alarms for knowing how much time i have before I leave, what I need to be doing in the morning, etc. Still working on that one though.

Upvote 0
Thanks to this thread, I bought Tasker a few days ago. It seems really great. So far I have weather popping up at 8am and gps turning on when I open a couple applications. I tried having gps turn off when they close but the popup message that appeared was far more annoying than just turning it off manually.

I've love some talking alarms for knowing how much time i have before I leave, what I need to be doing in the morning, etc. Still working on that one though.
If you start from a condition of GPS off, and Tasker turns it on for a certain app, tasker will turn it off automatically when you exit that app... Likewise for most settings (for instance, I have a profile which sets my phone to silent when I'm at the library, and when I leave the library, my phone will return to whatever volume settings it had before the profile was invoked)...

Upvote 0
One cool thing you can do with Tasker is launch apps from a permanent notification in the notification bar...

For instance, I made a Profile which will activate when the phone boots and put a permanent notification in the notification bar which simply says "Phone", then I made a profile so that a click on this notification launches the phone app, and viola - I can launch the phone app easily from anywhere...

Attachments

• CAP2011012321401.jpg
    CAP2011012321401.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
When I first installed Tasker I went through a lot of things and had my phone where I liked it. I wanted to use location and Wifi services to activate profiles, so I removed most of my tasks and profiles and started over. I'm really close to where I want to be with it, but just as a friendly reminder to new users, start simple. It's easy to get in over your head.

Read the whole Tasker thread for Profile examples. You'll also see a link to the Wiki site where instructions and examples reside.

Upvote 0
I have a bunch of profiles. I love tasker. Feel free to ask how any of my profiles are created:

1) battery charged
- sounds an alert when the battery has finished charging, so I can unplug it (this increases the battery's lifetime)

2) key reminder
- a popup asks if I have my keys when I unplug the phone from the car dock (I always forget my keys in the car, what can I say?)

3) music popup
- when the headphones are plugged in, a popup containing my media-based apps (doubletwist, pandora, etc) appears, tapping the name of an app opens it.

4) school silent
- during the school day, on weekdays, the phone automatically enters vibrate only mode. At the end of the school day it goes back.

5) helpful alarm
- this is my alarm clock. It actually uses a few other profiles to help it accomplish all of its tasks. This is because the alarm is set to perform a "morning assistant" task once it is dismissed (via popup). The "morning assistant" task speaks aloud a greeting and the current time. If I have any unread text messages or emails it will speak that information as well.

6) helpful alarm add-on profiles
- there are currently 3 profiles that work in conjunction with my helpful alarm. The first two run counters for the number of text messages (variable: %SMS) and emails (variable: %EMAIL) I receive. The third profile detects when the screen is unlocked, and resets both of those counters to 0.

Upvote 0
Anybody have any ideas on how to efficiently send a text message when I pass through a certain location, or leave a certain location? I'm trying to give my wife an automated heads-up when I'm on my way home from work. So far the best I have come up with is sending a text message on an exit task when I leave a certain network location. It's not ideal because I have to set my radius fairly large, and then there's a fair delay until Tasker realizes I've left the location. It usually ends up sending the text message about 15 minutes into my 25 minute commute. I could probably reduce my "All Checks" time in Preferences but I hate to impact my battery usage the entire day just to send a single daily text message a few minutes earlier.

Upvote 0
Anybody have any ideas on how to efficiently send a text message when I pass through a certain location, or leave a certain location? I'm trying to give my wife an automated heads-up when I'm on my way home from work. So far the best I have come up with is sending a text message on an exit task when I leave a certain network location. It's not ideal because I have to set my radius fairly large, and then there's a fair delay until Tasker realizes I've left the location. It usually ends up sending the text message about 15 minutes into my 25 minute commute. I could probably reduce my "All Checks" time in Preferences but I hate to impact my battery usage the entire day just to send a single daily text message a few minutes earlier.

Good question - unless you're willing to turn on your display (which switches to the "display on" checks in your preferences), or increase the frequency of "all checks," I'm not sure how to do it.

If you're leaving a Wifi Near context, that will be a smaller radius than a Network Location context - but still subject to the 2 x All_Checks time.

I also wanted a way to quickly notify my wife that I was heading home - but didn't want it to necessarily trigger every time I left work (like when I am just going out for lunch, etc.). So I created a widget that runs a task which texts "Heading home..." This way I just hit the button and it goes - not totally automated, but I kinda prefer it that way.

Upvote 0

Do you commute by car (with bluetooth) or ? Regular or shift work?
Could you use a timer triggered either manually or on connection to a bluetooth car kit (with a time of day limitation), or by exiting from a cell tower range?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones