• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What we know about the Dell mini 5

sn0skier

Oct 7, 2009
So, I am pretty excited about the Dell mini 5 or Streak or M01M or whatever they are going to call it so I thought I would do a list of known/rumored specs for it. Specifications and rumors have a letter that references you to the article they are garnished from.

1. Full-fledged 3g phone a
2. Fits in most pockets a
3. Android 2.0+ a
4. 5-inch 800 x 480 capacitive touchscreen with multitouch a
5. Snapdragon QSD8250 chipset (with CPU clocked at 1GHz) a
6. Bluetooth (at least A2DP and AVRCP profiles) a
7. WiFi a
8. GPS a
9. Touchscreen keyboard with numpad a
10. 152mm x 78mm x 10mm at 8 ounces a
11. 1530mAh battery lasts for almost a day for normal usage on 3G a
12. 405MB RAM a
13. 1.63GB of internal storage a
14. ambient light sensor g
15. 3.5mm headphone jack a
16. Consumer personalization of colors and designs on the back e
17. 5MP camera on back with 4x digital zoom a
18. 640 x 480 (AKA VGA or 0.3MP) camera on front with 4x digital zoom (a) that will do video-conferencing i
19. 2 MicroSD slots (one of which is only accessible by tearing down the device and may not be replaceable) a
20. Will include dock with mini-usb and HDMI out h
21. 720p video playback a
22. H.264 and other codec support c

APP SPECS
23. Will be able to access cloud based content i
24. a three-year trial of the forthcoming CyberLink Live for Android that gives you "instant access to your photos, music, and video stored on your home computers." a
25. Quickoffice (a file browser that can also view Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents) a
26. K-9 Mail (which supports Exchange server) a
27. Kindle e-book reader app, Amazon MP3, Amazon video streams and pretty much any other material that Amazon sells in digital form right to the slate e
28. Is capable of running flash and may run it at launch. It was shown on an adobe video as an example of a handheld device running flash (f) and has been stated by Dell exes as an important thing to include i
29. Will have good integration with google voice j
30. Runs all android apps i

PRICING
31. Rumored $1000 retail price is just a rumor. That was simply the price on the Shenzhen black market d
32. Products have been advertised online for $315 (probably fake) k
33. Variants of the device that will help us address price points that customers are interested in c
34. $300 on contract (at first I thought this was official. It definitely isn't) l

CARRIERS
35. HSPA on WCDMA bands II and V (that's the coverage needed by AT&T, Rogers, Bell, and Telus, by the way) b
36. Supports UMTS bands 1, 4, and 7 with these frequencies: Europe 900, 2100; America 800, 1700, 1900 (that means T-mobile USA btw) g
37. will be launched by O2 in UK. m
38. Will be coming to T-Mobile (US) and Vodafone (EU) n

RELEASE DATE
39. Looks like it will be out June 2010 on t-mobile (US) and vodafone (EU) n

a http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/19/dell-mini-5-prototype-impressions/
b http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/05/dell-mini-5-earns-fcc-approval-atandt-3g-coverage-assured/
c http://carrypad.com/2010/02/17/dell-mini-5-hands-on-at-mwc-one-of-a-family/
d http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/dell-mini-5-tablet-prototype-shows-up-as-m01m-in-shenzhen-blac/
e http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/09/leaked-dell-mini-5-flyer-shows-multitude-of-color-options-confi/
f http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/...dell-gm-of-tablet-devices-neeraj-choubey.aspx
g http://www.slashgear.com/dell-mini-5-mid-live-video-1574070/
h http://androidandme.com/2010/02/new...-ship-with-android-2-1-and-include-hdmi-dock/
i http://blog.laptopmag.com/dell-mini-5-is-a-category-killer-ipad-great-for-dudes-with-murses
j http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/...dell-gm-of-tablet-devices-neeraj-choubey.aspx
k http://www.ad-mart.co.uk/dell_mini_5_android_2_0_usd_315-o560105.html
l http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/11/dell-streak-mini-5-makes-a-cameo-appearance/
m http://www.slashgear.com/o2-dell-mini-5-launch-tipped-by-delltelefonica-alliance-1481639/
n http://www.androidcentral.com/dell-...athens-android-netbooks-alongside-smartphones

Please let me know if you see any errors or disagree with me about anything. Also if anyone finds anything new to add to the list please let me know. And if you are just excited about the phone and want to thank me that's cool too!

19. 2 MicroSD slots (one of which is only accessible by tearing down the device and may not be replaceable) a

im 100% sure if the 2nd microsd slot is still there in the production models we will find a way to upgrade it. 64gb with 2 microsd cards would be great!

i think this will be an accessory and will have to be purchased seprately.

Upvote 0

im 100% sure if the 2nd microsd slot is still there in the production models we will find a way to upgrade it. 64gb with 2 microsd cards would be great!
Yeah I'm sure that us l33t hackzorz will enable the second slot to be used, but all I'm saying is that access to it might be hardware and software restricted.

Why do you think this? Because docks from other companies often don't come with the device? You might be right but I haven't seen anything that says it will be a separate purchase. All I've seen are things that say it "has" a dock:
Dellicious: Dell Mini 5 Gets Weirdo Treatment By T3 | Android Phone Fans
In the comments someone did a rough translation of the video
Hands on the Dell Mini 5 at Mobile World Congress 2010 | Netbooknews - Netbooks, Netbook Reviews, Smartbooks and more
At the very end he says "It does go into a dock, and the dock..."
Also, did you see the original source that I had that says it is going to be included?
http://androidandme.com/2010/02/new...-ship-with-android-2-1-and-include-hdmi-dock/
It says "Another new revelation about the Mini 5 is the inclusion of a 30-pin connector that is used for a dock that will ship with the device."
It seems to me that it is going to be included.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm sure that us l33t hackzorz will enable the second slot to be used, but all I'm saying is that access to it might be hardware and software restricted.

Why do you think this? Because docks from other companies often don't come with the device? You might be right but I haven't seen anything that says it will be a separate purchase. All I've seen are things that say it "has" a dock:
Dellicious: Dell Mini 5 Gets Weirdo Treatment By T3 | Android Phone Fans
In the comments someone did a rough translation of the video
Hands on the Dell Mini 5 at Mobile World Congress 2010 | Netbooknews - Netbooks, Netbook Reviews, Smartbooks and more
At the very end he says "It does go into a dock, and the dock..."
Also, did you see the original source that I had that says it is going to be included?
AT&T Dell monster phone to ship with Android 2.1+ and include HDMI dock – Android and Me
It says "Another new revelation about the Mini 5 is the inclusion of a 30-pin connector that is used for a dock that will ship with the device."
It seems to me that it is going to be included.

yeah i saw that they said it will be included but im sure to bring down cost and to make it affordable to everyone its gonna be an accessory.. cuz if you look at the motorola for example. the dock is seprate and costs around 45? and exactly what does it do? nothing.. the dell's dock is actually functional with hdmi out and all. so im sure its gonna bring the price up of the mini 5 if it actually included.. and im almost 100 percent sure its gonna be sold like dell laptops so you can just add everything to your order lol. although i could be wrong and i hope i am.. because i want that dock either way haha..

DELL PLEASE GIVE US A RELEASE DATE!

Upvote 0

I've seen videos where Dell people have said that the dock will come with the device at no extra cost.

Upvote 0
Do you think the Dell Mini 5 will come to Verizon? My workgroup has moved to another build and I cannot get a Sprint signal inside of the building. But, I can get 3 or 4 bars just outside of the building.

People with Verizon and AT&T can get real good signals inside and out side of the building. I don't now about TMobile.

Since changing to Verizon will cost me at least $20 more, the only device that will get me to change to Verizon is the Dell Mini 5.

Upvote 0
I've been a big fan of the Mini 5/Streak since it was announced.
There's a few reservations I have however:

1) Form factor
While I generally like the form factor, there are other tablets (some are prototypes, see below) out there that are able to pack the 5-inch screen into a smaller package, especially given that there are no physical buttons on the device. Which brings me to a related point: I don't mind capacitative buttons, but I'd prefer actual physical buttons.

2) Proprietary connector
Granted, this allows for the docking station, but I would have hoped that an HDMI dongle and a micro-USB socket would have done the same job without limiting oneself to a proprietary connector, and having to lug the docking station around.

3) Processor
From what I've read, the 1GHz Snapdragon is quite a powerhouse for smartphones. However, I already have a smartphone. One of the reasons I'm looking for a mini-tablet/maxi-smartphone is processing power. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the user experience is as smooth as it gets, especially considering that the Streak will support Flash and may have a Dell-ified UI on top of Android. I also wonder how the Snapdragon will compare to the Tegra 2...

4) Battery life
1530mAh, seriously? My Android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy) has the same battery in a much smaller device. And while it lasts for a day of medium usage, I was hoping for a significantly bigger battery in a significantly bigger form factor. The larger screen will likely draw more power, plus you will want to access more data on a device more convenient for browsing. I am hoping battery life turns out better than I fear...

5) Custom UI
I'm a bit scared of what Dell have done to Android on their Mini 3/Aero. I hope they don't repeat this for the Streak... this would be a major turn-off (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/exclusive-dell-aero-hands-on-and-ui-walkthrough-video/).

6) Price tag
When it was first annouced, people were talking about a $1000 price point, now it is expected to be sold at around $500 - in line with many smartphones off contract. That being said, there seem to be a number of other Android tablets hitting the market at less than half that price: Pasen MID5, Enso ZenPad, Archos 5, HiVision tablet, Hott MD500, SMiT MID-560, Rockchip tablet, EeePad, Compal tablet (plus plenty of others in the $500 range). Granted, some of these may be months from hitting the stores or may not make it at all, and not all of them can compare to the Streak's specs. But I am hoping the Streak will sell at a lower price point, or a decent competitor surfaces at a significantly lower price.

While I'm not too hung up on points 1-3 above, 4-6 are relatively big issues if I was to buy a Streak.
Any thoughts?

Andy

Upvote 0

1) Form factor
While I generally like the form factor, there are other tablets (some are prototypes, see below) out there that are able to pack the 5-inch screen into a smaller package, especially given that there are no physical buttons on the device. Which brings me to a related point: I don't mind capacitative buttons, but I'd prefer actual physical buttons.

2) Proprietary connector
Granted, this allows for the docking station, but I would have hoped that an HDMI dongle and a micro-USB socket would have done the same job without limiting oneself to a proprietary connector, and having to lug the docking station around.

3) Processor
From what I've read, the 1GHz Snapdragon is quite a powerhouse for smartphones. However, I already have a smartphone. One of the reasons I'm looking for a mini-tablet/maxi-smartphone is processing power. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the user experience is as smooth as it gets, especially considering that the Streak will support Flash and may have a Dell-ified UI on top of Android. I also wonder how the Snapdragon will compare to the Tegra 2...

4) Battery life
1530mAh, seriously? My Android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy) has the same battery in a much smaller device. And while it lasts for a day of medium usage, I was hoping for a significantly bigger battery in a significantly bigger form factor. The larger screen will likely draw more power, plus you will want to access more data on a device more convenient for browsing. I am hoping battery life turns out better than I fear...

5) Custom UI
I'm a bit scared of what Dell have done to Android on their Mini 3/Aero. I hope they don't repeat this for the Streak... this would be a major turn-off (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/exclusive-dell-aero-hands-on-and-ui-walkthrough-video/).

6) Price tag
When it was first annouced, people were talking about a $1000 price point, now it is expected to be sold at around $500 - in line with many smartphones off contract. That being said, there seem to be a number of other Android tablets hitting the market at less than half that price: Enso ZenPad, Archos 5, HiVision tablet, Hott MD500, SMiT MID-560, Rocketchip tablet, EeePad, Compal tablet (plus plenty of others in the $500 range). Granted, some of these may be months from hitting the stores or may not make it at all, and not all of them can compare to the Streak's specs. But I am hoping the Streak will sell at a lower price point, or a decent competitor surfaces at a significantly lower price.

While I'm not too hung up on points 1-3 above, 4-6 are relatively big issues if I was to buy a Streak.
Any thoughts?

Andy

1) I currently have the moment for a work phone which has both kinds of buttons. I have grown to despise the physical buttons...they feel cheap to me after experiencing the other. I'm glad to have the capacitive buttons, but it looks like there will be a physical sleep/lock button on the side.

2) I never thought of that. I would imagine there will be a handy adapter made by somebody so you don't have to haul the dock around. I'm just not a person who would hook this up to HDMI so I just don't care, personally of course.

3) 1Ghz will be fine. However, this in combination with question #5 will be the real question. I imagine that I will be installing a custom ROM/Vanilla install eventually if I get this for the sake of speed.

4) I think battery life is on all of our minds. But remember, they are pushing for 'tablet first, phone second' pretty hard and clearly. If it has 6 hours of medium (or so) use then that seems like it would be fine for a tablet, but not for a phone (although I plan on using it for both). I pretty much expect to be a) charging this at least once a day on the OEM battery and/or 2) looking for the seidio 'big b*tch' battery for travel. After all this thing is slimmer at is sits then a HTC HD2....adding some girth may not be too big a problem, but I don't know. I have a feeling that we will pay for being able to consolidate two gadgets into one on some level or another; however, I think it will be worth it. Data Toggle app will be a must!

5) This one concerns me the most. I pretty much hate what most of the manufacturers do to android. I certainly can speak for everyone, but I like 'em built for speed not for looks (my phones anyways...heh). I'm thinking custom ROM as I said above, but from what I read about the prototype, it doesn't look like Dell is going to beat up the OS too bad.

6) This doesn't concern me. I think I will buy it unlocked, even if it comes to T-Mobile, but I will evaluate that when I actually know something for a fact. I'm thinking $500-$550 retail. $450 retail for smaller phones is pretty typical right now. We'll see.

One thing is for sure, this is the most excruciating wait for a gadget I have ever endured. I hope they don't pull a 'Sony' on this one or it will flop for sure. Moreover, if they don't bring it soon, I don't think I can hold off with my G1 as a personal phone much longer. The Sprint Evo looks pretty nice :)

Upvote 0
Agreed. Which is why I've been reading up on alternatives.
If for whatever reason the Streak is delayed or too pricey, I will probably get either the HTC EVO or the Samsung Galaxy S:
HTC EVO 4G vs Samsung Galaxy S - Comparisons - Know Your Mobile

The 4G capability in the EVO could tempt me, but given the current lack of Wimax in London, the extra cost for a Wimax plan and the fact that I'm currently restricing myself to 2G for most of the time to save battery, 4G is not a must for me. The EVO also has the larger screen (4.3in vs 4.1in)

The Galaxy S however has the better screen, as well as the faster processor and more memory. It also seems to have a front-facing camera.

Both will run Android 2.1 and have a 1500mAh battery, but the Galaxy S is expected to be more power-efficient. I guess I could live with a 4in screen rather than the Streak's 5 inches. But then you're basically out of tablet territory and in smartphone territory - although boundaries are disappearing.

The only issue keeping me from rushing to get a Galaxy S the day it comes out, is the experience I've had with my Galaxy, which I've been using for the last nine months. It's a great phone, and in terms of hardware it was probably the best Android smartphone last year, but Samsung have failed to provide sufficient support and firmware upgrades. So I'll wait and see which device sells first, at what price, and what reviews it gets...

Upvote 0

1) Form factor

2) Proprietary connector

3) Processor

4) Battery life

5) Custom UI

6) Price tag
When it was first annouced, people were talking about a $1000 price point, now it is expected to be sold at around $500 - in line with many smartphones off contract. That being said, there seem to be a number of other Android tablets hitting the market at less than half that price: Pasen MID5, Enso ZenPad, Archos 5, HiVision tablet, Hott MD500, SMiT MID-560, Rockchip tablet, EeePad, Compal tablet (plus plenty of others in the $500 range). Granted, some of these may be months from hitting the stores or may not make it at all, and not all of them can compare to the Streak's specs. But I am hoping the Streak will sell at a lower price point, or a decent competitor surfaces at a significantly lower price.

Any thoughts?

Andy

1. Agreed

2. Agreed. This is a big thing that is turning me towards the Evo.

3. If you already have a smartphone why don't you sell it before you buy this thing? It isn't really a tablet, it's a smartphone. Also 1Ghz will run anything made for android. Anything above a Ghz would suck the life out of your battery.

4. Apparently battery life isn't that bad according to Dell Mini 5 / Streak prototype impressions -- Engadget It seems to last all day at least.

5. Dell's UI for the Aero and the streak seem very different. Just look at your link compared to the link above. They are skining it, but a good skin is often better then the original. I like the fact that you can turn on/off wifi any time from the homescreen in the Mini 5's skin.

6. Read my update to the pricing in my original post. It is going to be $300 on contract so probably $550 off. Also, the difference between the mini 5 and all those tablets you mentioned (as far as I know) is that you can make phone calls on the mini 5. If you aren't going to use this as your phone, then yes, I would suggest getting a different tablet.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I must be missing something (I usually do) but I didn't see anything about august in that, in fact it is all about the Tegra 2 in November. It only mentions the streak as it's brother, but that sentence can almost be read two ways.

not from the article, look at the gallery it has the road map. says looking glass november and mini 5 abt aug. and im sure it wont be more then september because it says 2.1 update for the streak is in september

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones