• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats everyone switching to after Incredible?

whats this love for the optical joystick that i have been seeing? i hardly use the thing.

Honestly, before 2.2 I didn't as much either. It is so much smoother now, and I use it so often, that when I use a device without it, it is badly missed. I didn't even realize how much I use it until I tried to edit text on my iPod Touch.

I also use it to wake the phone (much better that waking with the power button) and to click on small links in the browser.

Upvote 0
Im not understanding the desire to "upgrade" either...faster processors? INC can be overclocked to 1.28, so does the 1.3 matter? better camera?..good luck on that, even a bad photo on the INC can be fixed by a third grader in 5 minutes with basic photo editing, and PicSay lets you do it right on the phone. Call quality? Ive heard some issues, but mine seems to do just fine (certainly better than my BB Storm *shudder*). Storage size? With support for SDHC up to 32gb, I dont see that happening (I run a 16gb class 6 and couldn't be happier) The o-n-l-y thing I can see myself wanting is a front facing camera to intergrate with Skype and (hopefully) the home video-phone service I have as well.

Upvote 0
I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon, either. This is my first smartphone, excluding an aborted run with the BB Storm when they first came out. So far I'm enjoying it immensely, and there's nothing out there I can see myself switching to. I'll just wait until my two years are up and see what's available then.

Upvote 0
Big xbox nerd. So depending on how my life is going in June of next year I may go WP7. Big "may" btw as I feel some stuff is still missing. I hear on test units are getting poor battery life and they dont even allow true multitasking. (big no-no)

The window's mobile/CE development line is dying a slow death. Fundamentally, it's development cycle is just too long. Even when Google goes to year or so between major releases, there will be 3 android releases for every windows release. Even iOS will develop faster than winMo. As business users either switch over to webOS, Symbian or Android, winMo will become less and less relevant.

And just remember that Windows has a horrendous record for updating phones.

Upvote 0
I got my Incredible in August, and due to deployment suspension, my NE2 won't be available until April or May of 2012. I honestly think that whatever phone I eventually replace the Incredible with doesn't exist yet. I have some serious requirements for my "next" phone.

-Form factor similar to the Incredible (or iPhone). No larger then 4" screen, or smaller than 3.5". Keyboard is ok so long as it doesn't add too much bulk, but isn't too flimsy (so likely no kb).

-No locked boot-loader or similar anti-rooting crap.

-Internal memory better not be as screwed up as the Incredible's. That 8GB is semi-useless, and the true internal isn't enough for apps. That 8GB should either merge with the internal

-to allow for realistic app storage, or merge with the SD card.

Upvote 0
Moto Razr is so old news. Startac for me, and nothing else will ever beat the shortcut buttons on the left side of the Startac.... and YOU KNOW what I'm talking about if you ever used this phone.

You guys are thinking too new;

zack-morris-phone.jpg

Upvote 0
The window's mobile/CE development line is dying a slow death. Fundamentally, it's development cycle is just too long. Even when Google goes to year or so between major releases, there will be 3 android releases for every windows release. Even iOS will develop faster than winMo. As business users either switch over to webOS, Symbian or Android, winMo will become less and less relevant.

And just remember that Windows has a horrendous record for updating phones.

As a user who has had 3 WM devices before my Incredible I am well aware of the slowness of WM of old. I only hold on to phones for a year. So when the time comes if they even have a phone on verizons network, and if it receives complementary reviews such as the "editors choice" award as the Incredible has received. But all of this is awhile from now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones