• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the best app to get free phone number? How about WhatsCall?

Getting ready to travel to US and Canada. Since I'm a little bit tight on budget, I don't want to spend too much money on communication. Instead of purchasing sim card or set my phone on roaming, I asked friends to recommend me a free app to get local number. Has anybody heard of WhatsCall? The download link is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmcm.whatscalllite&hl=en

One of my friends has already gone ahead and start his trip, he used WhatsCall and said the connection is great! Not only you can get free us/canada phone numbers for free, using this free number to make calls between two countries is also free.

Any advice, guys?

Google Voice is only available in the US. It works really well but uses your cell number/service to place/receive calls by default, it's really a call forwarding service. You can use it on wifi without a SIM but it has to be tinkered with to set up correctly, it would need the Hangouts Dialer too, (more tinkering). In order to set it up you'd need a real US phone number (you can use someone else's though). Even then only calls to the US and Canada are free so any international calls would cost you (but prices are reasonable I think), and I'm not even sure if you'd even be able to place a call while in Canada.
(I've tried it on wifi and it does work with the HO's dialer)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones