• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Whats the best rom for Lg Optimus M? :D

where can i get this r.O.C.K.v1.3 kernel?

It's included with the CM7.1 Reppard's build in the 9-20-2011 update.

screenshot-1317392071467.png

Upvote 0
The best thing to do is like another poster said, download em, flash em and try each one out to see what suits you best. The CM 7's are the best imo and the kinks are all worked out from what I've read.

As for me, I flashed Reppard's ROM and couldn't be happier with it. Everything ran smooth right out of the gate and it may just be the one I'm going to stay with for quite some time.

Regardless of which ROM you choose, a thanks should go out to our star devs here and if you can donate then please do because they deserve it.

Upvote 0
Hello all!
I'm curious as to which of the CM roms works the best for the Optimus M at this point in time.

I'm familiar with the Android custom rom scene as I have rooted and flashed many roms, radios and recoveries on my old G1 and my current G2. I rooted my girlfriends Optimus M thanks to the information available here.

If it were for me I would just try all of the available roms. As it is for my girlfriend, I cannot change it so often. I prefer a CM rom as she is already familiar with the CM nightly roms that I run on my phone and she is quite comfortable using it.

Also, are there any precautions I can take with regard to backing up her phones unique identifying data which is required to maintain her service with MetroPCS. I've already backed up her stock rooted rom via recovery but am curious about this as I have never flashed a CDMA phone before this one. My GSM phones are simple as everything is on the SIM card and cannot be erased.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
they all flash the same way pretty much, if you want to make a backup of the qualcomm chip, u can use a program called QPST, you make also be able to use LGNPST for this. however it shouldnt be needed, just get Flash Image GUI and use it to flash the recovery. I recommend the GNM recovery. it can be found here,
http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html
u can also use PlayfulGods CWM recovery, found here,
http://playfuldroidz.com/media/recoveries/LW690/recovery.img
they ar the best 2, you are probably familiar with CWM, the GNM is very good and fully functional, CWM may give you a sd-ext backup error, doesnt do it to everyone though. just make a nandroid backup after flashing the recovery, then there are a handful of great roms, i personally use Reppards CM7 build, if is fully functional right out of the box, just flash it and latest gapps, there is an issue with the included a2sd not working for dalvik to sd, but reflashing teh a2sd script over the existing one will fix the issue, just make sure you boot into the phone first before doing that. if you get rebooting isuues, lower the clock speed, it is preclocked at 729, most can run higher, few have to lower it, i can run at 825, if you are unfamiliar with partitioning the sd-card, make sure you copy everything off of it b4 you partition it, or you will lose everything, and then after partitioning you can move everything back. if you need any help, there are plently of people here willing to give it, including myself

Reactions: .A.J.
Upvote 0
they all flash the same way pretty much, if you want to make a backup of the qualcomm chip, u can use a program called QPST, you make also be able to use LGNPST for this. however it shouldnt be needed, just get Flash Image GUI and use it to flash the recovery. I recommend the GNM recovery. it can be found here,
http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html
u can also use PlayfulGods CWM recovery, found here,
http://playfuldroidz.com/media/recoveries/LW690/recovery.img
they ar the best 2, you are probably familiar with CWM, the GNM is very good and fully functional, CWM may give you a sd-ext backup error, doesnt do it to everyone though. just make a nandroid backup after flashing the recovery, then there are a handful of great roms, i personally use Reppards CM7 build, if is fully functional right out of the box, just flash it and latest gapps, there is an issue with the included a2sd not working for dalvik to sd, but reflashing teh a2sd script over the existing one will fix the issue, just make sure you boot into the phone first before doing that. if you get rebooting isuues, lower the clock speed, it is preclocked at 729, most can run higher, few have to lower it, i can run at 825, if you are unfamiliar with partitioning the sd-card, make sure you copy everything off of it b4 you partition it, or you will lose everything, and then after partitioning you can move everything back. if you need any help, there are plently of people here willing to give it, including myself

I think I installed Joneidy's Recovery for 2.2.1 phones but I'd have to check as it has been a while. If the GNM is based off of Amon Ra's recovery code, I would rather use it over anything ClockworkMod based. I always preferred Amon's work and have found it to be exceptional. My G2 has 4EXT recovery installed as Amon Ra's isn't available.

Anyhow, I'll install the GNM recovery and then figure out the QPST program you mentioned. Is version 2.7.323 of QPST the latest/best to use? It's what I found.
Partitioning the SD card will be easy. I had to do it in my G1 days. Is it required for the ROM? My girlfriend barely has any apps installed. I put most of them on there and the Metro-bloat should be gone (guessing it's not included in the ROM). I'll look around here for the a2sd script, is there any one in particular that I should use? For gapps, should I use the LDPI or something else? Also, do you use CM7's built in CPU settings or should I install SetCPU or the like?

Thank you very much for taking the time to be so helpful!!

Upvote 0
2.7 is the latest QPST version and is an easy program to use and seems to set up better than LGPST.

I use Rep's CM 7.1 ROM and it does not have the script built in(as I think Bobz ROM does) but you can download the latest Dark Tremors script in the A2SD thread and flash it and be good to the A2SD GUI app from the market.

Oh and as far as recoverys go, I use GNM simply because it was the first and I don't see a need to change.

As always if you have any issues, plenty of people here to help out. All you need to do is ask.

Upvote 0
2.7 is the latest QPST version and is an easy program to use and seems to set up better than LGPST.

I use Rep's CM 7.1 ROM and it does not have the script built in(as I think Bobz ROM does) but you can download the latest Dark Tremors script in the A2SD thread and flash it and be good to the A2SD GUI app from the market.

Oh and as far as recoverys go, I use GNM simply because it was the first and I don't see a need to change.

As always if you have any issues, plenty of people here to help out. All you need to do is ask.

mdpi for the gapps, but i believe the one for cmy doesnt distinguish between them..

Upvote 0
mdpi for the gapps, but i believe the one for cmy doesnt distinguish between them..

Yeah, your right. Thanks.

Anyhow, it's been a long time since you guys (tripdoc79, Insanecrane) offered up assistance to me. Thank you both very much.

Yesterday, I finally got around to installing Rep's CM 7.1 ROM. I left Joneidy's Recovery for 2.2.1 phones installed, as it works just fine. I never got the QPST program to recognize the phone but as it is available for cheap now I figured if I ruined it I'd just replace it or get her a newer one. I gave her an 8 gig class 6 card of mine so eventually I'll install the working a2sd script as well (possibly today).

The ROM seems to be working just fine so far. I will update after some time has passed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones