• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the point of an unlocked phone if you still are limited to carriers?

neely615

Sep 21, 2009
The reason I am posting here (at phandroid) is because I love my G1 but have been eying the newer android phones coming down the line.

Buying an unlocked device (say the Nexus One) can provide some longterm monetary gain, but I don't see how it is advantageous for the reason "freedom to switch carriers/service agreements." If I have a Nexus One I could flip between Tmo and AT&T, but that's it. Really, I would love to flip between monthly options at Tmo and Sprint since they are the most competitive IMO (and in my area).

I am without a contract now (but have a crazy cheap plan at Tmo) and don't know if I should wait for the unlikely CDMA/GSM capable phone, or just throw my hat behind GSM or CDMA and go from there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Unlocked phones benefit everyone except people that live in North America which has two different standards for cell phones. It really does suck. In Europe, if you get crappy service in your area with one carrier, you could switch to another. And if you roam to another country, just pop in a different pre-paid SIM card. For them, it has numerous advantages.

GSM coverage in the US is pretty horrid in the Midwest anyway. Once you leave the Interstates, your lucky if your phone even gets partial coverage. I know this from experience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones