• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When do text messages reply all?

ergalthema

Nov 12, 2009
Sometimes I'll get a text that I didn't realize was sent to multiple people. Then, when I respond, everyone gets the response. How can I tell when that happens?

Seems ridiculous that I can't tell when I'm sending a response to multiple people.

I usually use Handcent.

My original question was about receiving a message that was sent to multiple people. Even the stock Android App doesn't show me that the text was sent to other people.

This is so frustrating and makes no sense. It's like replying to an email that was sent to BCC'd recipients and all the BCC'd people getting my reply - that's insane!

Upvote 0
Its an apple thing. I think its imessage. They can send a text to multiple people and replies will go to all. The only way to tell is if you view the details of the message you can see it was sent to multiple recipients. You can't control it. You can't only reply to the original sender if they started it as a group message. I don't like it at all.

Upvote 0
I didn't want to start a new topic for this, but I noticed after updating to 4.2.2, I can now see if a message I received was sent to a group, but there doesn't seem to be any option other than reply-all. I can either choose to reply-all to each recipient individually or as a group, but I don't see any way to reply only to the original sender.

Is there any way to not reply-all, or an alternate app that has more setting options?
(I'm on Shiny ROM but the messaging app is stock).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones