• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When I open Sprint Navagation the phone reboots itself...

Hello All,
I had the same issue. I did this fix and everything has been fine so far for the last 24 hours. Hopefully everything continues to stay the same.
1. Call Sprint and have them give you the MSL CODE for your phone.
2. Dial ##GPSCLRX#
3. Enter the MSL code that you recieved from Sprint.
4. Your phone will reboot.
5. After your phone starts up again it should not reboot because of a GPS crash (test it out).

Suprisingly this worked for me. Not only did it fix the reboot problem, it improved my battery life. I had the same issue where my phone rebooted whenever I used any navigation or map application. It also rebooted if I used Layar or any app that needed to use GPS. Hopefully this fix actually sticks. So far so good. Good Faith Evo family.

Reactions: Buzzwyzr
Upvote 0
Hello All,
I had the same issue. I did this fix and everything has been fine so far for the last 24 hours. Hopefully everything continues to stay the same.
2. Dial ##GPSCLRX#
5. After your phone starts up again it should not reboot because of a GPS crash (test it out).

Suprisingly this worked for me. Not only did it fix the reboot problem, it improved my battery life. I had the same issue where my phone rebooted whenever I used any navigation or map application. It also rebooted if I used Layar or any app that needed to use GPS. Hopefully this fix actually sticks. So far so good. Good Faith Evo family.

Just called, Sprint Customer service would not give me the MSL code for my Evo because it "unlocks" the phone. I'll try again later with another Sprint Rep.

Upvote 0
Just called, Sprint Customer service would not give me the MSL code for my Evo because it "unlocks" the phone. I'll try again later with another Sprint Rep.

I ran into the same issue with a representative. I calmly told her the porblem with my phone and the fix that I was attempting. If they refuse to give it to you tell them what you are attempting to do. You want to reset the GPS and that is all. Sprint believes people use the code to make unauthorized changes to the phones. To review: try another representative, if that doesn't work let them know what you are trying to do and why. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I ran into the same issue with a representative. I calmly told her the porblem with my phone and the fix that I was attempting. If they refuse to give it to you tell them what you are attempting to do. You want to reset the GPS and that is all. Sprint believes people use the code to make unauthorized changes to the phones. To review: try another representative, if that doesn't work let them know what you are trying to do and why. Good luck.

Yup, the 2nd rep turned me over to technical support who gave me the MSL Code. She did search their support databases and said she had no entries for a GPS issue. Here's hoping it worked.

Reactions: ibleedbloo
Upvote 0
icon1.gif
[How To] Retrieve MSL CDMA Workshop Method
Since the other method using aLogCat doesn't seem to work for everyone, this is a more consistent method.

Please be very careful with CDMA Workshop. I am not responsible for your curiosity, or stupidity!

Here are the included screenshots for installing the drivers on Windows 7 x64. This seems to be a little different for most users, so I hope this helps. Windows XP should be pretty similar to below. You can enter Device Manager the same way. Some of the prompts will be slightly different, but at the end most of the same dialogs will appear.

Prerequisites:
CDMA Workshop - http://www.cdma-ware.com/workshop.html
The Demo version will be able to retrieve the MSL.

HTC Diag Drivers - http://www.techwerkz.com/evo/HTCDiagDrivers.zip
Here is the compiled zip which includes both x86 (32 bit), and x64 (64 bit) drivers for HTC diagnostics. I have successfully tested the x64 drivers on Windows 7, and all works without issue.

The Fun Part
Step 1 - Dial ##DIAG# (##3424#) on your phone.

Step 2 - Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable. When prompted to install the drivers use the drivers from the ZIP provided above.

Windows will probably not be able to find the drivers:
1.jpg

You will need to manually install the drivers from Device Manager. Quickest way to get there is to press the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type in devmgmt.msc:
2.jpg

Once Device Manager is open you will see it cannot find the HTC Diag driver
frown.gif
:
3.jpg

Right click on HTC Diag, and go to Update Driver. You will be prompted with the following, choose Browse my Computer. Then choose Let me Pick. Click Next. Click Have Disk. Browse to the drivers you downloaded, and choose the proper INF file. Click Next. Then finally Yes, if prompted
eek.gif
:
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

If all went well you will see it installing the driver. Then finally let you know it was successfully installed!
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Step 3 - Run CDMA Workshop you downloaded earlier.

Once CDMA Workshop is open click the word Port found on the right:
14.jpg

You will be given the options to select the correct COM port (Please note the demo version will only go to COM6. If you have an issue with this please Google how to change the COM port to something not in use.):
15.jpg

Once the correct COM port is selected click Connect:
16.jpg

17.jpg

Head over to the Security tab and click Read under the SPC / User Lock section:
18.jpg

If all has gone well you will be given your MSL code! It is the 6 digit number listed after pressing Read. Great Success!
biggrin.gif

Testing
The following sections should prompt for your MSL code. Enter what you have retrieved to find out if it is in fact the correct MSL code.

##data# (##3282#)
##debug#(##33284#)
##diag#(##3424#)
##svn#(##786#)
##prl#(##775#)
##prev#(##7738#)
##akey#(##2539#)
##vocoder# (##8626337#)

If you followed the steps correctly, the code should work.

Hope this helps everyone with finding their MSL when Sprint will not give it to you. Again, I am not responsible for what you do with this information. This is a use at your own risk method!

Upvote 0
Hello All,
2. Dial ##GPSCLRX#

icon1.gif
[How To] Retrieve MSL CDMA Workshop Method
Since the other method using aLogCat doesn't seem to work for everyone, this is a more consistent method.

Please be very careful with CDMA Workshop. I am not responsible for your curiosity, or stupidity!

Here are the included screenshots for installing the drivers on Windows 7 x64. This seems to be a little different for most users, so I hope this helps. Windows XP should be pretty similar to below. You can enter Device Manager the same way. Some of the prompts will be slightly different, but at the end most of the same dialogs will appear.

Prerequisites:
CDMA Workshop - http://www.cdma-ware.com/workshop.html
The Demo version will be able to retrieve the MSL.

HTC Diag Drivers - http://www.techwerkz.com/evo/HTCDiagDrivers.zip
Here is the compiled zip which includes both x86 (32 bit), and x64 (64 bit) drivers for HTC diagnostics. I have successfully tested the x64 drivers on Windows 7, and all works without issue.

The Fun Part
Step 1 - Dial ##DIAG# (##3424#) on your phone.

Step 2 - Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable. When prompted to install the drivers use the drivers from the ZIP provided above.

Windows will probably not be able to find the drivers:

You will need to manually install the drivers from Device Manager. Quickest way to get there is to press the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type in devmgmt.msc:

Once Device Manager is open you will see it cannot find the HTC Diag driver

Right click on HTC Diag, and go to Update Driver. You will be prompted with the following, choose Browse my Computer. Then choose Let me Pick. Click Next. Click Have Disk. Browse to the drivers you downloaded, and choose the proper INF file. Click Next. Then finally Yes, if prompted

If all went well you will see it installing the driver. Then finally let you know it was successfully installed!

Step 3 - Run CDMA Workshop you downloaded earlier.

Once CDMA Workshop is open click the word Port found on the right:

You will be given the options to select the correct COM port (Please note the demo version will only go to COM6. If you have an issue with this please Google how to change the COM port to something not in use.):

Once the correct COM port is selected click Connect:

Head over to the Security tab and click Read under the SPC / User Lock section:

If all has gone well you will be given your MSL code! It is the 6 digit number listed after pressing Read. Great Success!

Testing
The following sections should prompt for your MSL code. Enter what you have retrieved to find out if it is in fact the correct MSL code.

##data# (##3282#)
##debug#(##33284#)
##diag#(##3424#)
##svn#(##786#)
##prl#(##775#)
##prev#(##7738#)
##akey#(##2539#)
##vocoder# (##8626337#)

If you followed the steps correctly, the code should work.

Hope this helps everyone with finding their MSL when Sprint will not give it to you. Again, I am not responsible for what you do with this information. This is a use at your own risk method!

Thank you both so much!!!

This method does indeed cure the reset issue when accessing GPS. I've only been testing for the last 3 hours, so I'm not of much help as to whether or not this is a permanent fix. But I am hopeful!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Sim-X,

I have an Evo and have been having the exact same problem but only when I try making or receiving a call while I am using the Sprint Navigator. Today I tried using the navigator in Google Maps and it worked like a charm. I received a call while using the Google Nav and my phone did NOT crash/reboot. However while I was talking on my phone w/my hands free I noticed that if/when the navigator gave the directions it would talk over my caller. Kind of irritating but not nearly as bad as when my phone would reboot... So in short I recommend giving Google Nav a try. Good luck!

NB

I haven't check this thread in a long time. I ended up hard resetting my phone after posting per advice of some users. I did NOT re-install ATK. I have not had a problem with Sprint Nav since. I don't use any other task killers and haven't really had any problems with the phone. So that worked for me.

Upvote 0
Hello All,
2. Dial ##GPSCLRX#

I was able to test this several times today. It did not work for me. The phone continues to reboot about two minutes into a phone call with Sprint Navigation on.

Upvote 0
A hard reset had fixed mine for about a week then the rebooting when going into a GPS app started once more. I just got around to calling Sprint to get the MSL and they gave it to me and it appears to resolve my issue. The interesting comment the rep made was that now that the ruling about jailbreaking the phones is legal, they cannot withhold this info any longer.

So it's a victory for freedom lovers everywhere!

Upvote 0
I use my Navigation ALOT and i have noticed every time i am on the phone and using NAVI at the same time, the phone doesnt like it and will restart? It is really bothersome and quite annoying! Just wondering if anyone has had this issue, or might have some insight as to help stop this? When i just use one or the other it works great, but not together?

Upvote 0
The fixes above did not resolve my issue with the phone rebooting when making or taking a call and using navigation (both sprint nav and google nav) at the same time.

My phone also reboots while making or taking a call and using cardiotrainer or similar apps that use the gps.

I spoke with HTC and Sprint who both stated that it is a known issue and are working on a fix. I was wondering if there is any new news regarding this issue. Has anybody learned anything else about this problem and how to fix it?

Upvote 0
The fixes above did not resolve my issue with the phone rebooting when making or taking a call and using navigation (both sprint nav and google nav) at the same time.

My phone also reboots while making or taking a call and using cardiotrainer or similar apps that use the gps.

I spoke with HTC and Sprint who both stated that it is a known issue and are working on a fix. I was wondering if there is any new news regarding this issue. Has anybody learned anything else about this problem and how to fix it?

And post #26 above did NOT help, per -

HTC EVO 4G:FIX FOR EVO GPS REBOOT (fixes Hero as... ?

Outside chance you can still fix this, either via:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

- or maybe -

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/4885-safe-mode-reboot.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones