• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When referring to "torrenting a discography", what do you think the word means?

Meaning of "discography" in the torrent sense of the word.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

polkadots

Android Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2010
The Left Coast
Imagine you're using using a torrent website, private or otherwise, and a bit torrent client...when someone is talking about downloading a discography what is your understanding of the word "discography"?

1 - A smile text file/pdf that more or less contains a descriptive list of recordings by category, composer, performer, or date of release and it can be read (text file only).

OR

2 - A collection of music files (MP3s, FLAC, etc...) of all studio albums (perhaps singles, live albums, etc...) by an artist or band that can be listened to.

Fair enough. Its from a movie.

Now what tv show is yours from?

Tell me yours and ill tell you mine ;)

Also, there is a difference between an "intr

The Office, US Version.

And I assume that kutsushita was just being facetious. Don't you?

Hard to convey sarcasm on the 'net.

And my reference, was Alice, (in wonderland).

Never did like The Office.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
In the context of torrenting, it would obviously mean the song files.

Umm, no it wouldn't. You can, in fact, torrent a true discography. Just because a handful of people use the word wrong, doesn't make it right.

Like the ebonics term 'runner'. Do you know what that means? I assure you it is not the correct meaning, or widely accepted meaning of the word.

Upvote 0
You certainly can torrent the 'true' version of what a discography is.
The fact is the term is the best way to describe a complete collection of a musician's/band's music available for downloading. Words can change meaning, that's how language evolves.

The argument for me is not whether the usage of the word is correct. The question was asking for my perception of what downloading a discography meant. You can bet that the majority of people who would search for a discography on the pirate bay (for example) aren't looking for a text file containing a list of entries.

Upvote 0
You certainly can torrent the 'true' version of what a discography is.
The fact is the term is the best way to describe a complete collection of a musician's/band's music available for downloading. Words can change meaning, that's how language evolves.

The argument for me is not whether the usage of the word is correct. The question was asking for my perception of what downloading a discography meant. You can bet that the majority of people who would search for a discography on the pirate bay (for example) aren't looking for a text file containing a list of entries.

Well this thread is a petty attempt to try to prove something that stemmed from another thread, which was a big misunderstanding.

Thread was titled "torrenting on the evo" or something like that, when I had replied to a comment to polkadots that a discography would be small enough to download without torrent, hence the argument.

She then disclosed that I should know what "discography" meant, and I then showed her the definition of said word. Then she said I don't know what I'm talking about, because I don't live and die by torrent sites, and aren't up to the lingo :rolleyes:

so the real question she should have asked is, "what is a discography" instead of warping it to suit her needs.

But hey, if she needs some false justification to make herself feel better, so be it.

But I remain steadfast in what I say.

And btw, the correct term, in this instance, could be "torrenting a complete compilation".

So should we put 'ebonics' into the english language as well, since it is popular slang among certain crowds?

Upvote 0
I see; I didn't read that topic, it makes more sense now.

It sounds to me like you knew perfectly well what they were talking about concerning torrenting a discography. I've seen your other posts, you know what you're talking about and are intelligent, so it doesn't seem to be ignorance on your behalf. You just threw in the facetious remark to troll.

I'm sort of ambivalent about the use of 'discography' in torrenting. You are right, its original definition is purely about the categorisation of musical works. However you can easily extend the meaning to include what torrenting one would involve. It's not an outright blasphemy against the English language to use that meaning, in fact it's just sensible, and will eventually

What does the 'runner' thing mean anyway? Can you explain it? I've not come across that word before.

Reactions: polkadots
Upvote 0
Well this thread is a petty attempt to try to prove something that stemmed from another thread, which was a big misunderstanding.

Thread was titled "torrenting on the evo" or something like that, when I had replied to a comment to polkadots that a discography would be small enough to download without torrent, hence the argument.

She then disclosed that I should know what "discography" meant, and I then showed her the definition of said word. Then she said I don't know what I'm talking about, because I don't live and die by torrent sites, and aren't up to the lingo :rolleyes:

so the real question she should have asked is, "what is a discography" instead of warping it to suit her needs.

But hey, if she needs some false justification to make herself feel better, so be it.

But I remain steadfast in what I say.

And btw, the correct term, in this instance, could be "torrenting a complete compilation".

So should we put 'ebonics' into the english language as well, since it is popular slang among certain crowds?

No, you're wrong again. The entire context of the other thread was torrenting...as such I and many others assumed the correct interpretation of the word "discography" in that context. This poll is also referring to the context which I originally used it in. As you can clearly see that in the context of torrenting that most everyone, 14-0 (1), also understands that context. It's remarkable how pigheaded and how wrong you are.

The whole thing started when you claimed that torrenting was "lamesauce" on an EVO. I merely pointed out that maybe someone wanted some tunes on the fly - perhaps a discography - to listen to for whatever reason. Downloading all albums by an artist/band would best be done in a zipped up file via bit torrent, as opposed to a piece-meal downloading of each song file. That's when you decided to be contrarian.

And furthermore, I don't expect you to know anything about bit torrent. It is quite clear that your knowledge is limited, and that's quite alright. There are plenty of things where my knowledge is limited. But you don't see me jumping in and offering advice, or in your case shitting on the advice being offered, without knowing what I'm talking about as is clearly the case with you.

Lastly, the issue of slang. Languages as you no doubt know are not static. They evolve over time, and over time words and phrases have their meaning changed. I have no idea what the term "runner" is in ebonics, but I can assure you that it's not unreasonable to assume that some words will eventually receive new definitions as their meaning changes with context, which is what we're seeing here. However I am expecting you to get all huffy about this issue as well.

Long story short, I'm right and you're wrong Dwight.

Upvote 0

Thread was titled "

No, you're wrong again. The entire context of the other thread was torrenting...as such I and many others assumed the correct interpretation of the word "discography" in that context. This poll is also referring to the context which I originally used it in. As you can clearly see that in the context of torrenting that most everyone, 14-0 (1), also understands that context. It's remarkable how pigheaded and how wrong you are.

The whole thing started when you claimed that torrenting was "lamesauce" on an EVO. I merely pointed out that maybe someone wanted some tunes on the fly - perhaps a discography - to listen to for whatever reason. Downloading all albums by an artist/band would best be done in a zipped up file via bit torrent, as opposed to a piece-meal downloading of each song file. That's when you decided to be contrarian.

And furthermore, I don't expect you to know anything about bit torrent. It is quite clear that your knowledge is limited, and that's quite alright. There are plenty of things where my knowledge is limited. But you don't see me jumping in and offering advice, or in your case shitting on the advice being offered, without knowing what I'm talking about as is clearly the case with you.

Lastly, the issue of slang. Languages as you no doubt know are not static. They evolve over time, and over time words and phrases have their meaning changed. I have no idea what the term "runner" is in ebonics, but I can assure you that it's not unreasonable to assume that some words will eventually receive new definitions as their meaning changes with context, which is what we're seeing here. However I am expecting you to get all huffy about this issue as well.

Long story short, I'm right and you're wrong Dwight.

Maybe in your own little wonderland, alice.

And a 'runner' is basically someone who sleeps around, to put it nicely.

Upvote 0
From an outsider who doesn't do torrents, so I don't really know....

A discography seems to me to be the complete works of an artist.
Torrenting= (now tell me if I'm wrong) downloading the music from a site where it is shared?????

Sooooo, Torrenting a discography= downloading the complete works of an artist

Upvote 0
So webster, britannica, you know, people who define the english language, are completely oblivious to the meanings of words. Sure glad I didn't go to your school.

I am beginning to think that you have no clue about context when it comes to the understanding of words. Honestly, I really think you don't get it. You seem like a smart enough guy, but I am starting to question your comprehension and understanding skills when it comes to reading.

Upvote 0
From an outsider who doesn't do torrents, so I don't really know....

A discography seems to me to be the complete works of an artist.
Torrenting= (now tell me if I'm wrong) downloading the music from a site where it is shared?????

Sooooo, Torrenting a discography= downloading the complete works of an artist

Sort of. A torrent site is a place that hosts torrent files, for all kinds of things. From music, movies, games. Basically anything you can run on your machine. And when you download the torrent, you then open it in a torrent client. The torrent client then seeks out other machines with the same file(peer2peer) and downloads it in pieces from other people, to make the download faster.

And yes alice, my reading and comprehension is flawed because I know the proper and correct usage of terms, and prefer not to follow every small-cult slang out there. :rolleyes:

I don't really give a hoot what 'context' it was used in, its still incorrect. You can't argue with facts. Just because people who frequent torrent sites can't figure out how to properly describe what media they are downloading, and uses an incorrect term for it, in no way shape or form makes the usage of the word correct.

And yes, I knew what you had implied, but some (most) people won't. And throwing out a 'survey' on a tech forum isn't exactly the best way to achieve nuetral results.

So regardless of the results in this thread, doesn't change the fact that the usage of the word is wrong. And the fact that you succumb to improper usage, doesn't mean other people have to, or should in any way shape or form, understand what you are implying by falsely conveying your thoughts on a forum, or elsewhere. And the fact that you have an issue with being corrected on the correct usage of said word, speaks volumes.

Also, it is these types of behaviors that make our generation look bad. And it is. This is why we are looked upon as lazy, ill-informed, and flat out stupid. And our generation is. Like when I ring up at a cash register, I am appauled some people can't do basic math to give me the change I am owed, without the assistance of a calculator. Sometimes you just have to step back and say what the eff is going on here.

Also, with the word discography, it doesn't even have to mean from the same artist. It can be from a label, an era, genre, etc. So there's a nice little flaw in your 'context'.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones