• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When will the Boost Mobile Moto G get the Lollipop update?

Not even sure if boost has it yet. Its not even out on all the unlocked versions. Just be happy its getting it at all whenever it arrives lol there's currently only 5 devices running lollipop. Hopefully once boost gets it they push it right away but sometimes it takes a bit. There is a history of carriers sitting on updates for some reason or another. If I remember the Verizon g got 4.4.4 a week or 2 sooner than the boost variant. Just be patient and be happy its even getting an update at all.

Reactions: sbdc003
Upvote 0
Not even sure if boost has it yet. Its not even out on all the unlocked versions. Just be happy its getting it at all whenever it arrives lol there's currently only 5 devices running lollipop. Hopefully once boost gets it they push it right away but sometimes it takes a bit. There is a history of carriers sitting on updates for some reason or another. If I remember the Verizon g got 4.4.4 a week or 2 sooner than the boost variant. Just be patient and be happy its even getting an update at all.
Nexus devices have it, Moto G India and Brazil, Unlocked Intl GSM has it, Moto G GPE has it. Verizon updated their moto x. No CDMA variant Moto G's have 5.0.X ...

Upvote 0
HTC M7 & 8 GPE, Galaxy S5 (Poland/S Korea) and LG G3.
S4 gpe also started rolling out yesterday also. One thing I found odd about the moto g update is it keeps the legacy launcher. I think a lot of people may complain about that saying it don't really look like lollipop with it. Its easily fixed by just downloading the google launcher but I find it odd they didn't just include it like they did with the 2014 moto g.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Soak tests are done...then users report back to Motorola. If there aren't any significant bugs they move to releasing. Releases are done in batches this prevents server ota bog, makes sure there aren't any unreported bugs from the soak test. This has been the practice for ages now. As previously stated the Update Services app is required. It HAS NOT been pushed to CDMA devices yet.(see attached)
People need to calm down and be patient. Do you guys even know how many variants of the 2013 Moto G there are? How many carrier branded variants? LTE? 3G? CDMA? GSM? GSM dual Sim...there's loads of them.
Just be happy that a 1+ year old device is being updated at all. Moto only guaranteed a 4.4.X update. Also keep in mind that only 30% of the Android ecosystem is on 4.4.X only 8% of those are 4.4.4...
(Especially 1 year old budget device that is not an OEM flagship.)
Because a lot of 2013 high end phones won't be or they'll be waiting much longer than Motorola devices.
Personally they can take their time...give us a minimal/bug free version. I've had every version since since the Dev preview on my Nexus, trust me its better to wait.

Attachments

• 1418572800570.jpg
    1418572800570.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Soak tests are for 24hrs...then users report back to Motorola. If there aren't any significant bugs they move to releasing. Releases are done in batches this prevents server ota bog, makes sure there aren't any unreported bugs from the soak test. This has been the practice for ages now. As previously stated the Update Services app is required. It HAS NOT been pushed to CDMA devices yet.(see attached)
People need to calm down and be patient. Do you guys even know how many variants of the 2013 Moto G there are? How many carrier branded variants? LTE? 3G? CDMA? GSM? GSM dual Sim...there's loads of them.
Just be happy that a 1+ year old device is being updated at all.
(Especially 1 year old budget basement device that is not an OEM flagship.)
Because a lot of 2013 high end phones won't be or they'll be waiting much longer than Motorola devices.
Personally they can take their time...give us a minimal/bug free version. I've had every version since since the Dev preview on my Nexus, trust me its better to wait.
Fully agree. That's why I say this whole thread is basically rumor and opinions. No one knows when it will be released. Its all opinion. I agree people should be happy its just getting it. All moto ever promised was an update to 4.4 with the device. The fact its even made it to 4.4.4 is amazing. The only thing I'd say is while yes it is a year old "bargain" device it still is motos most popular handset of all time especially in countries like India and Brazil so I can see why they are updating it over other flagships such as the droid maxx droid turbo ect ect.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to think boost is going to leave us in the dust. Its 2015 and there's no sign of android l coning to this device. I'm okay with that for now. I mean just look at how much money we are paying for the phone itself as well as its service. I wouldn't expect top notch priority updates to the phones.

But in the future that may be a problem for me and may push me to move to become a sprint customer.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to think boost is going to leave us in the dust. Its 2015 and there's no sign of android l coning to this device. I'm okay with that for now. I mean just look at how much money we are paying for the phone itself as well as its service. I wouldn't expect top notch priority updates to the phones.

But in the future that may be a problem for me and may push me to move to become a sprint customer.
Right now, no one in the US has gotten it (Moto G owners, that is). I have the unlocked GSM version (XT1034) and don't have it. As far as I know, only the dual SIM folks in India and Brazil have actually gotten it. I finally decided to put CM12 on my phone. It's unfortunate though that it's not working on CDMA devices yet though (at least as of the last thing I read it's not).

Edit: forgot, the Google Play edition has gotten Lollipop as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I somehow find it hard to believe that it was a boost moto g. As far as I know and could be wrong the boost variant wouldn't need to update the moto updater as the update won't come directly from moto. It will be pushed thru boost/sprint as a carrier update. I may be wrong though.

I'm not sure what you really know about Android services, phone services, software, and how it all works, but you are wrong Timmy. I hope that doesnt sound disrespectful, that's not how I intend it to sou d. Yes, the update to 5.0.1 will be released from Motorola to the carriers, and the carriers will make changes to work with their services and release it OTA. However, in order for Motorola phones running 4.4.x to update to 5.0 the Motorola updater has to be updated to make the new android OS compatible with the phone. I'm not sure about the 2nd gen, but the 1st gen moto g was released with jelly bean, the shortly after kit Kat was released. 5.0 wasn't even thought of as being an OS for the moto g yet. Meaning some aspects of the phone need to be updated before it can handle 5.0. I have boost mobile, just got the update for the Motorola update service about a month ago. In the description it says this is to get your phone ready for the update to 5.0.

So far it has only updated specific aspects of the phone, such as a new gallery (maybe 5.0's gallery, not sure), the camera software, and one or two other things that were Motorola software. About half my apps also updated immediately after the Motorola Updater finished installing. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not.

Since I have boost, and it is prepaid, it will probably be awhile before I get 5.0, but I have a friend with Verizon, who has the 1st gen moto g, and he got the Motorola update service update around the same time as me. His moto g finally got the 5.0 update 2 or 3 days ago and he loves it.

Motorola does have a section on their site where you can look up your phone, put in your carrier, and it will tell you if and when you will get the update. For boost it still says they are waiting for the carrier to say when it will be released. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones