• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where are the extended storage settings located?

Options in Settings can not only change between Android versions, but can also depend on the manufacturer (compare a Pixel and a Samsung running the same version of Android if you want to see how different).

I've never seen this menu on any device I've owned. And a menu that has an option to open a third party file manager doesn't even look like a system menu to me.

What is it you are trying to do? And what device do you have?

Reactions: radzey and mikedt
Upvote 0
Options in Settings can not only change between Android versions, but can also depend on the manufacturer (compare a Pixel and a Samsung running the same version of Android if you want to see how different).

I've never seen this menu on any device I've owned. And a menu that has an option to open a third party file manager doesn't even look like a system menu to me.

What is it you are trying to do? And what device do you have?

That was a quick response. Thanks. I use an Ulefone Armor 8 Pro.
It looks like a menu where the storage access options for individual apps can be adjusted. Perhaps my device does not have it. But from which device is it?

Upvote 0
It looks like a menu where the storage access options for individual apps can be adjusted. Perhaps my device does not have it. But from which device is it?
no idea, so this is not from your phone? where did you see this? "extended storage" is not a common terminology on a phone that i have seen before. it is not on any samsung phone that i know of.

what exactly are you trying to do?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I've never heard of a menu where storage access options for individual apps can be adjusted. Though there are a couple of things that could be related to that:

1) you can grant or deny access to files and media on the shared storage via an individual app's permissions. You'd do that via the privacy settings (where most devices would keep permission management) or via individual apps in Settings > Apps.

2) if you have a removable sd card you may be able to move (parts of) some apps to it, again via Settings > Apps. Or you might be able to format it as internal, in which case there are some options for managing what is on the phone and what is on sd. As I've never owned a phone with that option (and wouldn't use it if I had) I've never seen those settings.

Those are the only system items I can think of that might fit that description.

That screenshot looks old to me - there's an Android 5 vibe to it. And it was around 4.4 that Google began to tighten up access to shared storage and sd cards (which use a primitive file system that lacks access control, and so poses data security risks). They initially over-tightened things badly, and took a couple of versions to really straighten things out. So I wonder whether that screen is showing a historical attempt to manage that, either through a system feature or an app?

Upvote 0
and wouldn't use it if I had
Me neither. "Adopted storage" defeats all benefits of MicroSD: data recoverability, MTP bypass, and data portability between devices. Thankfully, Google does not enforce that nonsense.

no idea, so this is not from your phone? where did you see this
Not from my phone. It was shared in a Facebook group.

what exactly are you trying to do?
Find that menu or find out which device has this menu.

So I wonder whether that screen is showing a historical attempt to manage that, either through a system feature or an app?
It could have been in some beta build. It is what I am trying to find out.

if ES file explorer is saying that, it's a misleading menu item.
It is not inside ES File Explorer. It looks like it is a system setting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones