• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where do downloads go?

OK so I downloaded a file on my phone that apparently has to be downloaded on a pc. Where do downloads go? I want to delete it but I cannot find it? Thanks

downloads are stored on the sdcard in the download/ directory.

I couldn't figure out a way to delete files directly that aren't media files that the stock phone software supports ... If its a picture, you can use the gallery, long press on the picture / video, and select delete.

If its an audio file you can do similar via the Music app.

If its a file that isn't handled by the phones stock software you either:

1) connect the phone to your pc via and mount the SD card. Delete it from the download/ directory.

2) Install a 3rd party file manager like "OI File Manager" and delete it off the SD card that way.

3) install a 3rd party ftp / webdav .. etc server and remotely remove the download.

Note: opening the browser, and bringing up the downloads activity (menu > more > downloads ) allows you to open a recently downloaded file, and clear it from the cache / history list, but will still leave it on the phone.

Upvote 0
If you don't have it already, download Astro (the file manager, there is actually another app on the Market called ASTRO with a planet logo - this is not the one you want) and use that to manage your files. It's extremely useful. Not only is it a file browser, it has a package install feature, application backup, and I believe the ability to unzip files.

Having a file manager makes a lot of things much simpler. For downloads, just open up Astro and check the /download directory on your SD card. From there you can just long press on a file to move, send or delete it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones