• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where is "Samba for dummies?"

Grrrrrrrrr

Feb 3, 2016
Can anyone please tell me how the hell to figure out what the "Share Path" is supposed to be?

Google just released their port of Samba and I would like to use it to copy files from my phone to a shared folder on my windows 10 PC (E:\Backups\Phone\Posh L520) over WiFi using my phone.

I've tried looking on the samba.org website and all I can find is linux technobabble that would take me far too long to decipher.

Update: I seem to have figured out the Share path, it was apparently too simple. On my PC I navigated to the shared folder in network in explorer and clicked in the path bar. (\\PC_Name\Posh L520) I stuck the smb: in front of that for "smb:\\MSI-I7-10\Posh L520" and it said it was successfully mounted but I can't see the folder in ES File explorer or my stock file manager :(

Screenshot_20171018-100359.png

Last edited:
If you're having issues setting up a samba client app, perhaps just using a good file manager app will be a better option? Take a look at File Expert, it's free and includes good, basic networking functionality:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xcxin.filexpert&hl=en

Looked at it, 90% negative reviews and I am extremely anal about ads and in app purchases. I've been using Version 1.6.2.5 of ES File Explorer (The old version without the ads) but I want to move away from the SMB1 protocol to the newer SMB3 protocol.

I seem to have figured out the Share path, it was apparently too simple. On my PC I navigated to the shared folder in network in explorer and clicked in the path bar. (\\PC_Name\Posh L520) I stuck the smb: in front of that for "smb:\\MSI-I7-10\Posh L520" and it said it was successfully mounted but I can't see the folder in ES File explorer or my stock file manager :(

Upvote 0
Obviously you're not actually looking at the link I provided, it has a 61.600 five star rating vs 5,200 one star, or at least check your math.
Anyway, using an older version of ES Explorer for networking purposes can involve security issues. At least you're doing so within the confines of your own LAN.

Upvote 0
Obviously you're not actually looking at the link I provided, it has a 61.600 five star rating vs 5,200 one star, or at least check your math.
Anyway, using an older version of ES Explorer for networking purposes can involve security issues. At least you're doing so within the confines of your own LAN.

Obviously, you don't read what other people write in their reviews, don't just accept those stars as fact.

Differences of opinion aside, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond however, I'd like to get back to the original question. Figuring out how to copy files from my phone to my PC using the built in android 6 file manager and the google Samba app.

Upvote 0
Obviously, you don't read what other people write in their reviews, don't just accept those stars as fact.
I have indeed read some and that's why I recommended it. And as far as I know, when users write reviews their star ratings are tied directly to their write-ups, but as you're claiming the opposite than I guess there really is no way to tell if any app is worthy or not unless you actually try it yourself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones