1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

where to get parts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zero_gravity, Sep 21, 2017.

1. zero_gravity

zero_gravity Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2014
    I have an older HTC m8 and getting close to where I'll need a battery replacement. If my battery capacity falls below 15%, my phone will just turn off. It doesn't shut down properly and then Android loses its mind. I'll also need to replace the USB port since it's not holding firmly anymore.

My problem is where to get parts....I'm fully aware that there are crappy aftermarket parts out there, especially the battery. I live in Canada btw. Just want some quality parts is all.

I'm not interested in having a shop do the work, it's not worth the cost to send it back to HTC.

Anyone been down this road? Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Where you can get M8 parts in Canada, have no ideas. I know just about all aftermarket parts come from China, where I am. :thumbsupdroid:

I think M8 batteries should be available locally in Canada though, because that's like a consumable really, and M8 is/was a popular phone. Try Amazon, they may even be available locally from "phone doctor" type stands you sometimes find in shopping malls.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You can look into ebay where people sell old broken phones which you can salvage for parts. But you shouldn't even be letting your phone battert go below 40%, much less 15%.

4. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
  5. zero_gravity

zero_gravity Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2014
    Unfortunately with the nature of my job I have no choice in letting the battery charge drop a little low sometimes. It's rare that it'll drop below 30% but it does happen occasionally.

I might see if I can get a used parts phone, but I can't expect the battery to be in any better shape than what I have.

I'm trying to avoid buying a cheap junk battery. At best the capacity won't be there and it won't last. At the worst a bad battery is a fire hazard. Trying to sort out what is good and what is junk is very difficult.

6. zero_gravity

zero_gravity Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2014
    Just wanted to thank everyone who responded, you were all quite helpful. You've helped me reach a decision which is great.

I've decided not to repair my phone and just run it until it's near dead. I was hoping to find a source for a high quality battery that is comparable to oem. You've all helped me realize that it is near impossible to figure this out without trying it if a good replacement even exists. The last thing I want to do is take the time to do the job only to find that I'm worse off than when I started in less than a year. Or worse yet, have a cheap battery fail catastrophically.

With this in mind, I'd rather eventually buy a new phone. My next one I'll be looking for something with a replaceable battery or at least one that I have the option to buy an oem replacement. I don't need a top end phone by far, so what I'd save by repairing simply isn't worth it with all the options out there.

To be honest, the only reason I got the m8 was because I got a great deal on it and the plan through my workplace at the time. Those deals are unfortunately gone now.

Thanks for the responses. Might not have been what was intended, but very helpful none the less.

Jfalls63 likes this.

HTC One M8

The HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship phone for the first half of 2014. It built on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and an UltraPixel rear Duo Camera.