• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which 8" Tablet? G Pad 8.3? Which Version? Or Lenovo Yopa 2

consultant

Aug 13, 2012
Looking for an 8" tablet. Coming from Nexus 7 2012 which is too slow for me and my aging eyes could use something a little bigger but still highly portable (one hand operation.)

The best bet seems to be the LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition but new ones are few and far between fetching low-mid $300 and used are even rare on Ebay fetching $225-$250. That's a lot for a used 8" tablet!

Then there's the Lenovo Yoga 2. Downside is it isn't going to get the updates quick. Can anyone comment on what Lenovo's track record is on Android updates? What would you estimate the time before the Yoga 2 gets Lolipop? 2 months? 4 months? 6+ months?

The other option would be to get the V500 G Pad and install CyanogenMod. I had CM on my Samsung S3 and it was very stable. However I now am enjoying the stock quick updates on my Nexus 5 and prefer the simplicity of staying stock. Plus, how long before CM comes out with Lolipop for G Pad or Yoga 2 8?

If I'm not in a hurry to get Lolipop, seems the best bang for the buck is to get the non Google Play G Pad and install CM. But time is money. I can get a brand new Yoga 2 8 for $219 right now. About the same price I can get a used G Pad GP Edition for and then I have Lolipop right away.

Having a tough time making a decision. Any insight is appreciated.

Why not the Nexus 9? It's about as big as the 8inch tablets around anyway.

As for used 8inch tablets and their price, depends on what tablet. The Note 8.0 for instance sells for around $400USD around here, so $225 is actually a good buy for a slightly used one. The WACOM digitizer and active stylus really gives a huge overhead since the better spec'd Tab Pro 8.4 actually costs around $350 (new), despite being superior than the Note 8.0 in every way except the S Pen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones