1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Which is better?

Discussion in 'Android Rooting' started by Aniruddha060, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Aniruddha060

Aniruddha060 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    I'm unable to decide if I should root my phone using magisk or SuperSU. Could you help me decide? I use a Lenovo A2010. If there are other root methods that are better mention them too.
    Thanks!

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Does your device already have a custom recovery (and/or an unlocked bootloader) installed?

The reason I ask this is it appears to me (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that you need a custom recovery (like TWRP) and/or an unlocked bootloader in order to install Magisk and it suite of tools / functions (root being one of them).

So, it (Magisk) as well as SuperSU are not root exploits per se--i.e., they won't help you root your device or unlock your bootloader or install a custom recovery: you must have already found and used an exploit for your device that will allow you to root (install SuperSU) or unlock your bootloader (allows flashing a custom recovery) to flash the SuperSU or Magisk .zip package, etc.

Subtle distinctions, I know, but important ones...

(disclaimer: I don't really know anything about Lenovo devices, so I can't recommend any tools or methods to help you actually run an exploit that leads to root).

Jfalls63 likes this.
  3. Aniruddha060

Aniruddha060 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    I do have TWRP installed on my phone because I had previously rooted my phone using the then latest version of SuperSU (instead of the stable version-bad decision). Ran into problems and unrooted the phone. Later I came to know of Magisk. So I'm debating whether to go back to SuperSU or use some other.

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Ah, that is good that you don't have to leap that hurdle...I don't know too much about Magisk...so I could only advise using SuperSU but its been admittedly some time since I flashed root on one of my devices.

Best of luck!

:)

Aniruddha060 likes this.