• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Which network gets used?

dvhttn

Android Expert
Oct 17, 2010
Sunny Cornwall
OK. Have been used to Nokias in the past, both personally and for work, so the DHD is my first non-Nokia phone for ages. With the E71 I had, whenever I wanted to go on-line it asked me which access point I wanted to use. This meant that if I was out and about I'd use the 3G network but if I was at home I'd choose wifi. With the DHD it doesn't ask and appears to me to want you to choose which network to use purely by 'default'. That is, if it's switched on then it'll use it.

Have I missed something in the manual? Maybe I've misunderstood how the networking is prioritised?

Any pointers appreciated.

Dave

Providing cellular data & wifi are swiched on (nice little widget - select view all in the personalise menu, swipe along & you'll find individual buttons for your home screen, or a bar that does a variety of things), it'll try & connect to the fastest, that being wifi. If there's more than 1 it'll ask you which you want to connect to (all apps > settings > wireless & networks > wifi settings). If no wifi then cellular data used.
The bar at the top will tell you which is in use.

Upvote 0
Great little app - easyswitch. Free, but feel free to donate.
Has 12 switches covering just 1x4 on the screen grid.

GPRS (G) & EDGE (E) are painfully slow (unless you use opera mini browser for this low speed cellular data).
HSDPA (3G general term) is split in to 2, or maybe even 3 now, & the DHD supports all of them.
3G is displayed if low speed high speed, H is displayed for the 2 higher speeds.

But as Spencer says, 3G drinks battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones