• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone/service

swiftwood

Lurker
Mar 16, 2010
Hello, Old time Linux user, back when you used to load it on floppies, looking to get into programming apps for Android My background is a BS in Computer Science, MS in Mechanical Engineering. I want to bring engineering apps to the phones so people can use them in school and out in the field. Haven't actually picked up a phone yet. I'm currently on AT&T, and did think about getting an iPhone, but with linux background I think I'm better off getting an Android phone I'm leaning towards Verizon and a Droid, though I like the keyboard on the Devour thoughts? BTW how do you get the forum to recognize carriage returns?

The Devour comes with MotoBlur, so unless you're really into social networking I would recommend the Moto Droid. Many people have deemed the Devour the Droid's little cousin, or something akin to that.

Definitely don't go with AT&T's Backflip as a developer. You cannot install non-market apps on it. That means no pre-release testing other than the SDK emulator.

Coming from Linux is a plus. However for development on the Android OS, you'll need a decent background in Java and OOP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones