• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which profile changing app do I want?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Jun 7, 2010
I'm wanting an app that lets me create profiles and toggle them on and off from my home screen. So far, I've found a couple of apps that seem to do this.

Primarily what I want to do is to be able to get in my car, toggle a widget on my phone screen and turn on GPS, Bluetooth and Auto brightness. My phone is plugged in in my car so none of these settings matter to me that they drain the battery and I use the phone as a GPS unit in my car. When I get out of my car, I want to be able to toggle to one of two other profiles. One would turn GPS and Auto Brightness off and leave BT on and the other would turn all three off. (When I'm at my office I don't use my BT headset as the handset is sitting right at my desk.)

Secondarily, I want to be able to have scenes on my phone change automatically. I've got one that I use for work and another that I use for home. It would be great if I could have it set up so that the work scene was on from 8-5, M-F and then it flipped to the home scene at all other times unless I manually changed it. It doesn't look like Setting Profiles supports this, but I'm wondering if Locale does. If neither app supports this, it's not a huge deal.

I'm looking at Locale and Setting Profiles. I can't mess with Locale on my phone as it's a paid app and has no demo sadly. Setting Profiles is $4 and Locale is $10. I'm not sure what you get for the extra money. It looks like both programs have the ability to trigger different profiles based on your GPS location. Locale looks like it has a lot more plugins though, some free, some paid for. Which app is better for me? or are there other options that are (preferably) free and do all of the above?

The ones by GPS will only change if you are in a physical location. I.E. in town or at home. If you are in your car you have to manually do it.

I use setting profile and I can manually push the screen twice and it will set every setting to what I want. I prefer it as locale will drain battery, and that isn't worth not having to push my screen twice.

Setting profile can change ringtones, change wallpapers, plus the standard stuff you would expect like volume, gps, bluetooth, wifi, etc.

Upvote 0
Locale does everything automatically based on your location. It uses GPS AND wifi every 10 minutes to check where you are. If you want it to not use wifi you must set your location sections to 2000 square meters or more.

Personally I just didn't like how it was implemented. I like the manual settings profile that lets me pick when the settings take effect.

Upvote 0
If you can get past the learning curve, Tasker will do what you're looking for, with the exception of changing scenes. In fact, Tasker can do the GPS, bluetooth and auto brightness automatically if you have a detectable car dock. There are plenty of people willing to help with Tasker, and you can download a 14-day trial (free) from the developer's web site:

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/download.html

And Tasker is

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones