• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Which ROM type are you using?

Which type of ROM are you using?

• Sense ROM

Votes: 108 32.8%
  • ASOP ROM

Votes: 129 39.2%
  • MIUI ROM

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • My phone is not rooted

Votes: 57 17.3%

• Total voters
I wish the GO message widget just opened the default messaging application when tapping a message, rather than having two interfaces for one job!
Android Pro Widgets message widget takes me straight to the thread in my message app. Pure Messenger does with some ROMs, not others.

Reactions: jacksonliam
Upvote 0
Well, I've been on MIUI-XJ almost constantly since July last year, and to be honest I can't see that changing. I've had a quick go of a few other roms in that time (most recently Mildwild 3.2, and a couple of different ICS roms) but have always ended up restoring my most recent MIUI nandroid...

I know it's not for everyone, but it's deffo for me. And of course, I'm reasonably lazy (and often pushed for time, with a toddler running round!) so the thought of reinstalling my apps, and generally setting stuff up again to my liking also adds to the lure of staying where I am. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am using [ROM] [07.04]MildWild CM-4.2 and it is the first ROM I installed after rooting. Only been running it for less than a week but must say I am impressed.

I really like the look and feel of it, will most probably try others in the future but am going to stick at this for the moment.

Also just to say I am loving being a rooted user and this forum, all the useful guides and FAQ's made rooting painless for me.

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
Thanks to all the help I'm now running Redux 2.3.5. Loving it already, largely due to not having to scroll past demos for Monopoly and Bowling in the menu.

I've already fitted more on it than the stock Orange ROM would fit, and I've convinced myself it's running faster (this could be my imagination). Plus the customisable options (eg, home screen control widget) are so much better.

Very happy flasher :-D

Upvote 0
Thanks to all the help I'm now running Redux 2.3.5. Loving it already, largely due to not having to scroll past demos for Monopoly and Bowling in the menu.

I've already fitted more on it than the stock Orange ROM would fit, and I've convinced myself it's running faster (this could be my imagination). Plus the customisable options (eg, home screen control widget) are so much better.

Very happy flasher :-D

You're not imagining it, I've just rooted and flashed teppic's gingerbread stock sense rom with a2sd. It's way faster than the hack job orange did, it's the first thing that stood out to me. Glad to be rid off all the bloat ware and orange branding.

Upvote 0
You're not imagining it, I've just rooted and flashed teppic's gingerbread stock sense rom with a2sd. It's way faster than the hack job orange did, it's the first thing that stood out to me. Glad to be rid off all the bloat ware and orange branding.

Yh, i was on orange, couldnt wait to root and put a custom rom on. it's amazing how much better the desire is with all the bloatware removed. If you want it even faster put an aosp rom on, ie, no sense launcher. (gingervillian, redux, dGb etc) ;)

Upvote 0
hi guys,

how are you all finding ics roms? im still on gb ones (currently cronmod 1.0.6) - but am thinking i need to make the jump to ics as need to hang on to my desire for a while

do the ics roms have that annoying 'feature' where you have to go to settings menu just to add a widget? :/

cheers
dan

Upvote 0
I have been on ICS ROMS for about a month now; started with BCM (CM9) which was going great, developed an issue with android.process.media stopping which I think was due to restoring something incompatible from TiBackup or installing an app which doesn't like ICS, dunno. Anyway decided that was my excuse to try another one so went for the latest Sandvold Beta 0.16.1 (I think that's the one) and that was throwing up some issues (read it's not as stable as version 0.15) sooo....

I then tried Nikez Lente 1.01b2 (or whatever is the latest version) and this is smooth and stable, it's pretty much AOSP so no extra features like CM has and no Aroma installer so had to add stuff like Apex launcher etc but no issues with it at all so far and getting decent battery life, currently at 18% after 1day and 18hours (admittedly two 'sleeps' in that were the phone is just on airplane mode).

To answer your question on widgets you just add like any other TOM by long pressing the home screen OR the widgets are scrollable right in your app drawer under Widgets ;)

If you want anymore info or screenshots let me know. I know you're a serial flasher so just give one a go!

Upvote 0
hi,

ah interesting that you ended up with that flavour of ics - i had read quite a few issues with some of the other builds - cool - thanks - yes i do like a rom flash normally once a week :D
so as there are no more new GB roms, ics will be the way i need to head i feel

good to know about the adding of widgets - someone showed me ics on their razr, and it seemed you had to go through menus to do it! :/ .....but i guess that could be down to the launcher they were using

if you get time to post a few screens that would be great

thanks
dan

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2012_08_22_09_56_28.png

First one showing the notifications (quite easy, take screenshot and quickly pull down notifications).

Screenshot_2012_08_22_10_14_29.png

Just a regular shot of my home screen ;)

Screenshot_2012_08_22_10_14_58.png

Added a bonus one showing the widgets in the app drawer.

Just a couple of points in case you were wondering, I am using the Softkey mod (50% bigger mod, also available smaller & in different colours / styles) and transparent notification bar mod which are both available for Nikez Lente ICS ROM and yes the top part of my wallpaper is too light to see things properly :p
yegxoudll

Upvote 0
Lol, Paul is easier that desarenezitic ;)

Thanks, the soft keys are great, I feel lost without them now :D The wallpaper is Star Wars (duh) and I found them on Google+, some artists website, really awesome stuff.

Trackpad works (I checked because I never use it) but the volume to wake doesn't appear to (again something I never use). If you need anything else let me know.

Upvote 0
using nikez lente's P11 latest, happy.

I've just come off Evervolv-turba-3.1.0p1 as I had developed problems with notification sounds. Didn't have them or if I did, didn't notice them in the previous builds but it seemed to just turn the sound on or off at random. XDA forum says problem has always been there but sound seemed to work properly for me before. Just needed the thing to be quiet during the night and noisy during the day. Not much to ask. Due to Notification and Ringer volume being linked in JB I tried using Profile Scheduler to send notification volume to silent after 11pm then back on at 7am. Just to stop email sound waking me in the night but I need ringer volume up just in case I get a call during the night. Some nights it would work, other nights it would vibrate with no sound, some nights it would vibrate and sound. I don't need that at 3am. So I added turn off wifi and sync to the profile which seemed to work, if nothing can get in then no sound could be made but then I found that it didn't turn back on at 7am when it should so had to do it myself, sort of defeated the object.

So, I'm back at dGB with Sound Manager doing the job.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones