• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

While I don't think the Nexus 4 is a perfect device, here's some reasons why I may revisit owning it

Let me weigh in a bit. I don't have the phone, but my co-worker does (bastard got lucky!) This phone is unbelievable. Is it perfect? No, but point me to the next perfect phone please. Everyone doubted the possibility of this device being able to support LTE 4G even though it had an LTE chip-set. A few days later, all the tech blogs had to update their Ill written articles about it. With that said I'll make my points as clear as possible.

1. The ISP display on this phone has one of the best screen resolutions out there. Not to mention, it represents truer color values than the rest (a few Google searches should suffice).

2. Buying this phone outright > Buying subsidized to be on a 2 year contract.

3. It can support LIMITED LTE 4G even though it was not advertised (we got a free-be/bonus here people!)

4. The price on this phone blows everyone else out of the water. Specially with the specs this phone has. This is the meaning of competition. How else will we get beast phones at not-so-ridiculous prices without being slaves to a contract? Imagine the great things we will be able to do thanks to the kick-ass ROMs we'll get (there are already a bunch in the works).

5. The camera on this phone is very respectable. With the right settings and filters on, you will get pictures that are on par with the likes of the GS3/Iphone 5. You just have to play with the settings on it. Not to mention that the camera CAN (and most likely will) get updated because of the complaining. Which is a good thing that Google listens to its consumers! Also, if you want to see some really great shots, just head over to the XDA forum relating to the pictures taken with a Nexus 4.

6. Pure Android/No bloatware from carriers.

7. On time, consistent updates administered by Google no matter how uptight the carriers get! (Future proof)

PS. I have been reading your negative comments all over different threads about the N4 ( and I do respect your Ill opinions) I just don't agree with them because most of your disappointment was based on the launch of this device. And yet you got it waaaay before everyone else! Now (after re-selling your N4) you want to give it a second chance and re-buy it? I also never buy the first batch of anything because more likely than not people will get a defective product. My two cents. I hope you are not so disappointed your second time around with this phone... Or you can just buy a phone that you think is better. Anyways, cheers mate!

Upvote 0
Let me weigh in a bit. I don't have the phone, but my co-worker does (bastard got lucky!) This phone is unbelievable. Is it perfect? No, but point me to the next perfect phone please. Everyone doubted the possibility of this device being able to support LTE 4G even though it had an LTE chip-set. A few days later, all the tech blogs had to update their Ill written articles about it. With that said I'll make my points as clear as possible.

1. The ISP display on this phone has one of the best screen resolutions out there. Not to mention, it represents truer color values than the rest (a few Google searches should suffice).

2. Buying this phone outright > Buying subsidized to be on a 2 year contract.

3. It can support LIMITED LTE 4G even though it was not advertised (we got a free-be/bonus here people!)

4. The price on this phone blows everyone else out of the water. Specially with the specs this phone has. This is the meaning of competition. How else will we get beast phones at not-so-ridiculous prices without being slaves to a contract? Imagine the great things we will be able to do thanks to the kick-ass ROMs we'll get (they are already a bunch in the works).

5. The camera on this phone is very respectable. With the right settings and filters on, you will get pictures that are on par with the likes of the GS3/Iphone 5. You just have to play with the settings on it. Not to mention that the camera CAN (and most likely will) get updated because of the complaining. Which is a good thing that Google listens to its consumers! Also, if you want to see some really great shots, just head over to the XDA forum relating to the pictures taken with a Nexus 4.

6. Pure Android/No bloatware from carriers.

7. On time, consistent updates administered by Google no matter how uptight the carriers get! (Future proof)

PS. I have been reading your negative comments all over different threads about the N4 ( and I do respect your Ill opinions) I just don't agree with them because most of your disappointment was based on the launch of this device. And yet you got it waaaay before everyone else! Now (after re-selling your N4) you want to give it a second chance and re-buy it? I also never buy the first batch of anything because more likely than not people will get a defective product. My two cents. I hope you are not so disappointed your second time around with this phone... Or you can just buy a phone that you think is better. Anyways, cheers mate!

Good read, thank you for the insight!

As for the camera being on par with the GS3 and i5, I wouldn't go that far as I own them both and have to say they are 2 of the best cameras that I've ever used on a phone. However I do agree with the camera being pretty respectable on the N4 from the shots that I've seen on and around the Internet.

The price would be do it complete justice if it was just available, with it being so hard to buy directly from Google, it just deflates the whole idea of getting the phone now.

But I'm a trooper, I'll find a way to get one. But I really agree with what you said on the early adaptor thing. The second and Third batch is always better.

Upvote 0
Good read, thank you for the insight!

As for the camera being on par with the GS3 and i5, I wouldn't go that far as I own them both and have to say they are 2 of the best cameras that I've ever used on a phone. However I do agree with the camera being pretty respectable on the N4 from the shots that I've seen on and around the Internet.

The price would be do it complete justice if it was just available, with it being so hard to buy directly from Google, it just deflates the whole idea of getting the phone now.

But I'm a trooper, I'll find a way to get one. But I really agree with what you said on the early adaptor thing. The second and Third batch is always better.

No problem. And yeah, I get soooo anxious at wanting to buy something the minute it becomes available. But then I think to my self, nah... I won't risk it. I'll wait for the second or third batch. That's something I learned after my brother bought the Xbox 360 as soon as it came out. Big, ugly, no wifi support, etc... About a year later (or less) they come out with a better version of the same Xbox 360 and all I could do was laugh. Anyways, I want this baby in my hands already cuz my co-worker is having way too much fun with his!

Upvote 0
No problem. And yeah, I get soooo anxious at wanting to buy something the minute it becomes available. But then I think to my self, nah... I won't risk it. I'll wait for the second or third batch. That's something I learned after my brother bought the Xbox 360 as soon as it came out. Big, ugly, no wifi support, etc... About a year later (or less) they come out with a better version of the same Xbox 360 and all I could do was laugh. Anyways, I want this baby in my hands already cuz my co-worker is having way too much fun with his!

I agree... I hate waiting! However at the moment, it won't exactly kill me to wait one bit, as I have the GS3, i5, Nexus 7, and a newly bought ipad mini keeping me busy as of late.

But I still do want that Nexus 4 in my hands before Xmas morning...lol

Upvote 0
I agree... I hate waiting! However at the moment, it won't exactly kill me to wait one bit, as I have the GS3, i5, Nexus 7, and a newly bought ipad mini keeping me busy as of late.

If you went to the nearest mall, sat on Santa's lap and asked nicely, you might find one under your tree. I can't guarantee you'd make bail in time, though. ;)

Upvote 0

You have way too many gadgets for your own good buddy! Might as well just mail me the Nexus 7 as a gift for the holidays!!:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
No harm, no foul at any thing you said...

However, did I say I was looking for a phone that cures cancer, that's a pretty crazy remark to point towards a phone.

Perfect as in...

A great Phone first and foremost- no it's not, calls to me were fairly low

Camera- no it's not, it's been beatin to death! The camera is just not really good or up to par against the likes of the GS3, iPhone 5, Droid DNA, or HTC one x+
With that being said, maybe an update can fix some of the image quality, weirder things have happened.

Screen- it's ok, it's not great, but it's good enough for the price of the phone.

Speakers- again, there are a lot of phones out there, namely the ones I mentioned above that really deliver on sound quality.

Those 4 things are really important to me and really make up in my terms a perfect phone...IMO anyway
I have only been playing with my Nexus 4 for the last 8 hours or so, but I think the N4 has great call quality and a pretty good camera. Sure, it's not a GS3 level camera, but it's pretty good.

That being said, my post isn't about trying to draw contrasts in experience. The point I want to make is, if the above IS your opinion of the device, and these things are as important to you as you say they are, then there really is no point to getting a Nexus 4. Root your GS3 and put CM on it - pretty darn close to vanilla Android.

For me, vanilla Android and quick updates are major decision drivers. But I already had a Galaxy Nexus (GSM, unlocked), which would get updates just fine. So why did I chase after a Nexus 4? Top of the line hardware - internal hardware... processor, HSPA+ 42 compatibility. clock speed, RAM. It was practically a steal for $300.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones