• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who else can't wait to get one of these?

Oh don't get me wrong. I loved the Note 8 but not enough to keep it. My Note 2 has 3 batteries....THREE; each one last me about 17 hrs and that includes Netflix, FB'g and anything that requires a connection.

If the price comes down I may consider picking it up again but in all honesty if I were asked what to get; the 8 or 10- I'd tell people now to get the 10.1.

When I need to be on my laptop, my Macbook is right here. It's nothing to jump on it for a few minutes then grab my phone for everything else.

Yea.....that price needs to come down.

Reactions: NeoGrandizer
Upvote 0
Im with SDO, I absolutely love my note 8! I dont have any other notes, but after having a Kindle Fire HD, Hp Touchpad with Cyogen Mods, a Nexus 7, and too many ipads to number, this is hands down the best of them all. So if u are wanting a tablet, and dont have a note of some sort, already, I highly recommend this machine! Its incredibly fast, the IR for the remote is sweet, the ability to write with a pen in the search settings, instead of typing, the brilliant screen display, slot for my new 64 gb sdhc card for tons of movie downloads, etc...makes it well worth the money. As far as the question of getting the 10 incher or the 8... well thats a personal preference. My touchpad is 10 and I personally like the ease of lugging around my 8 for the portability. To each their own, but as u have read, many of the comments are from people that currently own a bigger version. If you dont, and you prefer a smaller sized tablet...this one takes the cake.. IMHO :)

Upvote 0
@Sake What phone do you have?
It sounds like 4saken1 never owned a Note before. But A LOT of others. LOL. Glad to hear some users are enjoying it. The Notes have always been the only Androids you can get with a digital pen with good specs backing it up. Also at a (mostly) good price point.

Unfortunately, the problem stems mostly from users who already own other Notes. Because of this, our views become somewhat jaded when we evaluate why we need it (or if we need it) at that steep price. And this really boils down to personal preferences, no doubt about that. I know Drex will probably be quite happy with the 8.0 mounted in the car. That's a way better option than the bigger 10.1.

I have been looking at the surface pro too but by the time you add the keyboard you're at 1200 after tax since they really don't recommend the 64gb option. 999+150+8.25%tax pretty much kills it for me

I'm more interested with the tablet itself and not the peripherals. I could always slap in my USB hub and cheap keyboard/mouse and get the same results. I could also connect USB gigabit Ethernet (since it has a USB 3.0 port). But what's more interesting to me is the full HD digitizer and pen it offers.

Now I'm pulling this way off topic... SORRY!

Upvote 0
I'm sure the 8.0 will be perfect in your case drex. ;)

As many indicated, it's not a bad device. For me, I can't really figure out what it's real focus is. It's not really meant for people who already have and used Notes as it seems a little underwhelming.

But you're going to use it as a mountable tablet in your car and that's a more suitable size than a hefty 10.1. That's a given. And bigger than the international Note 2 you are currently using. So you will have a good purpose for it. But I feel like you're going to pay a hefty premium for that privilege.

Upvote 0
I'm sure the 8.0 will be perfect in your case drex. ;)

As many indicated, it's not a bad device. For me, I can't really figure out what it's real focus is. It's not really meant for people who already have and used Notes as it seems a little underwhelming.

But you're going to use it as a mountable tablet in your car and that's a more suitable size than a hefty 10.1. That's a given. And bigger than the international Note 2 you are currently using. So you will have a good purpose for it. But I feel like you're going to pay a hefty premium for that privilege.

If the Note 10.1 dropped to $499 again, for the 32gb version, I'd probably go swoop that up right now. The more reviews I'm seeing from everyone, the more I'm realizing that it's good I waited and didn't go with impulse buying the 8.0 on release.

Upvote 0
If the Note 10.1 dropped to $499 again, for the 32gb version, I'd probably go swoop that up right now. The more reviews I'm seeing from everyone, the more I'm realizing that it's good I waited and didn't go with impulse buying the 8.0 on release.

LOL...Price dropped to $499 today...great...hahahaha

Maybe if I say, "should the Note 8.0 price drop to $299 soon, I'll swoop that up immediately."

Upvote 0
The 10.1 dropped so get to swooping it up!!!!!

The new Acer tablet that is supposedly releasing next month is what is preventing me from getting 10.1 today.

2 8 inch tablets would be nice. And the Acer will be 169 and 199 for 16 or 32 with micro sd slot!

I still like the size of the Note 8.0 though, for work purposes.

Upvote 0
The new Acer tablet that is supposedly releasing next month is what is preventing me from getting 10.1 today.

2 8 inch tablets would be nice. And the Acer will be 169 and 199 for 16 or 32 with micro sd slot!

I still like the size of the Note 8.0 though, for work purposes.

I'd hate to be in your head cause decision making would be traumatizing! :p

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Well, it's final. I'll be passing on the 8.0 completely. Between the desktop/Wacom, Note 10.1, and Note 2, there's no need or love for the 8.0. I just can't believe I've never considered a tablet before for my desktop. It feels great drawing and sketching over a 24" canvas. LOL.

But that's me and the Wacom isn't really portable like the Notes and needs a notebook or desktop counterpart (it's a peripheral after all). ;)

Upvote 0
I've had the money burning in my "gadget fund" for months but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I just can't justify it at $400. Really hoping to see this drop below the $350 mark and even closer to the $300 mark to make it worthwhile.

In the meantime maybe we will release more info on that 11" tablet. I hope they don't scale down the hardware like they did with the Tab 3 but so far it's not looking like that.

Well, it's final. I'll be passing on the 8.0 completely. Between the desktop/Wacom, Note 10.1, and Note 2, there's no need or love for the 8.0. I just can't believe I've never considered a tablet before for my desktop. It feels great drawing and sketching over a 24" canvas. LOL.

But that's me and the Wacom isn't really portable like the Notes and needs a notebook or desktop counterpart (it's a peripheral after all). ;)

Upvote 0
My biggest disappointment was the lack of radio antenna making the 8 truly portable. Wifi is great but not always an option and I can't see adding hotspot because despite how others feel, I like the ability to use my phone as a phone. I don't want to have to make an either or decision.

Unless Sprints hotspot offering has changed I simply hated not being able to do both at the same time.

Upvote 0
Managed to get my hands on one at the Carphone Warehouse. Not impressed at all, I've never had a problem with with Sammy's build quality until I picked it up.

Hate to say it....but it felt cheap and the screen is poor. Samsung produced two beautiful Note phones and they really should have stepped up to the plate and made the Note 8 a first class tablet.

I really don't understand their mindset; poor screen, bizarre speaker placement and prohibitive pricing ?? What were they thinking?

I'm going to stroll past this Note and see what appears in the market in the coming months.

SlightIy off topic...also saw a GS4 this weekend , beautiful screen so hopefully the Note 3 will be something to look forward to.

If the rumour of a 6 inch screen is true, it wouldn't bother me as I have plenty of handbags to pop it in:D

Upvote 0
My biggest disappointment was the lack of radio antenna making the 8 truly portable. Wifi is great but not always an option and I can't see adding hotspot because despite how others feel, I like the ability to use my phone as a phone. I don't want to have to make an either or decision.

Unless Sprints hotspot offering has changed I simply hated not being able to do both at the same time.

You could download a tethering app from the Play store and install it on your phone. That's what I did and it doesn't impede outgoing or incoming calls when it's running. You simply run the app and your tablet will see it as a wifi network, connect to it and you're good to go. No need to pay for a tethering plan either.

Upvote 0
Managed to get my hands on one at the Carphone Warehouse. Not impressed at all, I've never had a problem with with Sammy's build quality until I picked it up.

Hate to say it....but it felt cheap and the screen is poor. Samsung produced two beautiful Note phones and they really should have stepped up to the plate and made the Note 8 a first class tablet.

I really don't understand their mindset; poor screen, bizarre speaker placement and prohibitive pricing ?? What were they thinking?

I'm going to stroll past this Note and see what appears in the market in the coming months.

SlightIy off topic...also saw a GS4 this weekend , beautiful screen so hopefully the Note 3 will be something to look forward to.

If the rumour of a 6 inch screen is true, it wouldn't bother me as I have plenty of handbags to pop it in:D

In all honesty, I can't knock them on the screen. I'm glad they stuck with an LCD screen as that will last a long time compared to an OLED screen. Even if OLED screens look nice and use less power from the battery, screen life is not great. But I agree with the speaker arrangement. That was a con for me.

Upvote 0
You could download a tethering app from the Play store and install it on your phone. That's what I did and it doesn't impede outgoing or incoming calls when it's running. You simply run the app and your tablet will see it as a wifi network, connect to it and you're good to go. No need to pay for a tethering plan either.
No knock against people who do it but the person I am would pay for it.
I'd feel guilty tethering for free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones